Thursday 7 March 2019

War of 1812 Regiment de Watteville


This is my next regiment to join the contingent heading for operations in N America - sometime! They have also appeared in "1866 and all that", serving in Mark's "Napoleon in Egypt" campaign - indeed, they may very well be involved in our game this coming Sunday. Here is a very brief history courtesy of Mr Wikipedia:

De Watteville's Regiment was a Swiss regiment founded by Louis de Watteville and recruited from regiments that served between 1799 and 1801 in the Austrian army but in British pay. The troops then signed on as mercenaries, to be paid by the British. They fought in the Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815), mainly around the Mediterranean, and were based in Malta and then in Egypt from 1801 to 1803, fighting in Sicily and Naples. The regiment fought and won the Battle of Maida, in Italy in July 1806. From 1811 to 1813 the unit served under Wellington in the Peninsular War in Spain, and defending Cadiz in the Siege of Cádiz. The regiment sailed to Canada in 1813 to fight in the War of 1812. The unit was retired at the end of the war and soldiers were given tracts of land in Canada.

The two main actions the regiment were engaged in were Oswego and Fort Erie. Here is my version of them:

 My minimalist basing protocol (some might say mean!) - two figures per base for the two flank companies and three for the centre companies - sixteen figures in total - means I can get two and a half units out of every Perry plastic box - but I run out of command every third battalion!
 I really like the variety of figure poses you can create mixing and matching the various bodies and arms
 I took this view to give a better angle on the regimental colour, which was copied using Paint from the information sheet reproduced at the head of this post

The Regiment de Watteville head off across the Canadian prairie in search of a foe to vanquish....next up the 3rd Foot (The Buffs) are all glued together and ready to be under coated.

10 comments:

  1. Fine looking regiment! De Watteville makes an appearance in my collection too; specifically for Maida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan - I recall fighting Maida with my friend Julian about a hundred years ago! One of the things I recall is that the French had Swiss troops in red whom they confused for British - or vice versa!

      Delete
  2. A lovely looking unit Keith...
    The black standard is very attractive.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - Originally I had planned to make them the 89th Foot (I think) another unit with black facings - but the I saw this standard and thought "why not?"

      Delete
  3. I had heard of this regiment before and am trying to remember where. I think perhaps I first read about them on Mark Strachan's blog. Great work on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you Lawrence - yes, Mark certainly has this regiment in his Napoleon in Egypt collection...

      Delete
  4. Lovely unit, nice work and good looking flag!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Iain - I thought so too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done Keith. de Watteville will indeed feature in tomorrow's game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent - I will see them there!

    ReplyDelete