Friday 28 June 2019

15mm To The Strongest Game


Last night (Thursday), John, Chris and I popped into Julian's after work for a game of TtS using some of his 15mm Dark Ages figures. The scenario was based on a real battle from around 550 AD I believe

I faced Chis on one wing whilst Julian faced John on the other. Julian and I had an army value of 10 coins whilst our opponents had 13 coins.

It was a bit of a see saw game - initially, I had very bad luck with my card turning and by about move three, Chris had charged home and had half of my six heavy cavalry units shaken. However, by around move six, I had destroyed two or three of Chris's units and redressed the situation.

On the other flank, John made a couple of half hearted forays against Julian but did not look like he would be able to make much of an impression, then, just as I seemed to be getting the upper hand on my flank, John delivered one defeat after another to Julian, and our last remaining coins were gone - victory to the Byzantines (I think they were...maybe that was us and they were Seljuks...dunno!)

Nice way to wind down from a shit week at work - and the whole of July is going to be worse until the evening of the 22nd when I head south to Tarawera for our five day wargaming escape - yeeha!

Here are some decidedly average images - 15mm are really too small and as usual the lighting at Julian's is crap for photography!


Our left flank with my six heavy cavalry units confronting Chris

The enemy left flank commanded by John - four units of infantry occupying an imposing ridge

John's light cavalry advance in the centre

Another view of John's advance, which was aimed to catch my exposed right flank to the left of the oasis

Chris advances into contact

View from one of my two commanders positions

John's advance in the centre develops as he swings left and right in an attempt to catch both wings of our army in the flank

The commander of Chris's units opposing me

After a couple of rounds of melee, almost all of my units are shaken - one more hit and they will be gone from the table!

My unit nearest the oasis succumbs to the pressure and quits the field. Chris's successful unit has punched right through my line

But my other "brigade" of three units has been able to recover and reform on the extreme left, ready to crash into Chris's flank

My reformed units charge in from the flank and destroy two of Chris's units

Over on Julian's flank, it looks like our advance is going well, with John losing a couple of light cavalry units and being pushed back towards the infantry on the ridge...

The action continues on my flank as Chris struggles to contain the advance on his flank

But it was all settled on Johns wing - in a series of advances in the last move, his infantry came down of the ridge and destroyed two or three previously shaken units in Julian's command. All our coins were gone and John and Chris still had about six remaining.

Another fun evening using the TtS rules - nothing particularly "realistic" in this rule set - its definitely wargaming with the emphasis in gaming - but that's fine with me!





14 comments:

  1. Looks like great fun! I have actually signed up for a tournament in September for Tts which considering I haven't played the straight version yet( just the Italian wars mods) should be interesting, still at least I'll get a few games in,I think I'm going to dig out the two possible armies I can use and maybe try a solo game with them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Iain - yes, it was a good game - I don't mind losing when its like that! I am sure you will be fine - the mechanics of TtS are pretty generic regardless of era :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great looking battle rross, beautiful armies...and palm trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - a very basic table and poor photography compared to your reports - but I blame Julian's romantic subdued lighting for that!

      Delete
  4. Enjoying an evening game with friends after a tough workweek is a step in the right direction. I look forward to reports from your week in Tarawera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% Jonathan - yes, we are all counting the days till our trip to the lake!

      Delete
  5. Looks like quite a bit of fun there, Keith! I have to say that the cards and chits on the table really turn me off wanting to try To the Strongest, no matter how often people say they enjoy the game. I'm probably missing out, but it isn't as if I don't have plenty of other rules systems that I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that Nate, it is not a very aesthetically pleasing gaming method - I feel the same about Kalistra and other hex based games too. There certainly are more than enough different rule sets!

      Delete
  6. Nice report Keith. I have TtS on my shelf but have yet to convince the group I game with to give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I can imagine a lot of people having reservations Lawrence - as I have said, its all pretty basic and quite hard to make plans - not as bad as Command and Colours but if you are unlucky with the cards, there isn't much you can do to mitigate it. Lots of very odd things can happen because of the randomness the card turning provides - but at least you get a decision when one side or other has lost all its coins!

      Delete
  7. Keith with John winning another game there is a serious risk that he will get too cocky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know Mark - we will have to stop paring him with Chris!

    ReplyDelete