Monday 27 July 2020

A Few Days Away

As regular readers will know, I have been on a short trip to visit my niece and her family at the other end of the North Island. Hopefully the following images will be of some interest although none of them have any link to wargaming or toy soldiers!


Firstly an overview of the trip undertaken - and it did take approximately seven hours, door to door


Lake Taupo was created by a massive volcanic eruption millions of years ago and is around halfway between Auckland and Masterton. We stopped in the small tourist town of Taupo for brunch around 1130


After Taupo the next place of note is the Desert Road, which runs through the Tongariro National Park and is home to two active volcanoes, Tongariro and Ngarahoe

 




The land on either side of the road is also home to the New Zealand army's training area although, despite what the sign promises, I have travelled it many times and have yet to see a single explosion!


At the southern end of the road is the small town of Waiouru, which is to the New Zealand Army what Aldershot or Salisbury Plain is to the Brits. Hence it is the location of the QE II National Army Museum.


Above and below are views of the Tararua ranges which can be seen from our nieces back garden



Next few shots are the historic town of Greytown, where the council decreed twenty plus years ago that no buildings in the main street were to be modernised, and any old buildings in a state of disrepair had to be regenerated.


The result is that they have created a very picturesque reminder of what small town New Zealand looked like 50-100 years ago
 
Nice bit of lunch time refreshment!


Which was consumed at this attractive old hotel

 
By pure luck the local museum had a free open day so we had a quick look around





Another view of the Tararua's


And finally a field of farmed red deer, showing a few stags resting in the winter sun.

Nice way to spend a few days away from the hectic pace of life in Auckland - didn't miss the traffic or the work emails one bit! My next post will have something related to toy soldiers in in … honest!

19 comments:

  1. That looks lovely Keith...
    You live in a very beautiful country...
    When I was there... easily ten years ago now... we spent most of the time around Wellington... I was there for work after all....
    It was really nice to wake up and see the sea in the morning...
    Imperial Productions are based in Greytown... unfortunately we never had time to go there... probably a good thing... I would have bankrupted myself...😂

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - yes indeed, I very nearly took a picture of their sign - the next block down from The Swan Hotel where I had two pints of the very quaffable ale. Were you over here with the Perry's - I think Mark S may have met them when they were here some years ago....?

      Delete
    2. Yes we were over doing research work for Hobbit related stuff... tough life or what 😂
      Alan and Michael have been over quite a few times...

      Delete
    3. Yeah I think they were here with Peter Jackson around his Anzac Chanuk Bair diorama...2013/14 probably

      Delete
    4. Yes...
      Alan,Michael and Brian Nelson made the miniatures and then helped set the diorama up...

      Delete
  2. Hi Kieth- Beautiful photos -thanks for posting- lots of good memories there. We visited both Islands of New Zealand some years ago by Cruise Liner - just a superb way to seeing NZ...I liked places like Napier and The Bay of Islands. I'd cruise again - though with the Covid-19 I'm not sure when the Cruise Liners will return. Cheers. KEV. (Sydney-Australia).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev...and re the followers widget, I will try to figure out how to do it!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kieth- You need a 'FOLLOWERS' Widjet - as I'd like to follow your site. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kev - surprisingly, I think I figured out how to do this and its there now - in the process, I discovered I already have three followers - who knew!?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathon...it didn't hurt that we had five days of beutiful clear weather...it was cold enough down there though!

      Delete
  5. G'Day Keith, I agree with Kev's suggestion re: the widget. Beautiful scenery. NZ is definitively on our bucket list and with the talk of the Trans-Tasman travel bubble it should be doable. I missed out on a trip to Waiouru in the late 80's as I was on a training course when the Battery went. From what my mates said it was cold and wet. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg......yes Waiouru can be a pretty bleak place some of the year I imagine. During winter, the Desert Road is regularly closed by snow and ice. I think all armies choose inhospitable terrain for their training areas!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful country. Fantastic. I hope someday to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark.....the country does scrub up pretty well. It's easy to forget, stuck in Auckland, that ninety percent of the country is empty like this. Hope you do make it here sometime!

      Delete
  7. Great Travelogue Keith, some great pics here very inspiring.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu - I am glad it seems to have been of interest as received quite a few positive comments!

      Delete
  8. That takes me back to a rather cold school trip where we had to climb Tongariro, Ngauruhoe and Ruapehu. Miserable at the time, but I'm glad in retrospect I got the chance to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence...all good character building stuff I am sure - nowadays, you are probably not allowed to do those climbs - will be too dangerous or the local iwi wont want you offending their ancestral God or something!

      Delete