Tuesday 24 November 2020

Front Rank Miniatures - English Civil War Figures


After my previous post about our ECW game, several people expressed ignorance of the fact that Front Rank once upon a time had an ECW range, so I decided to pull a few of these old chaps out of their boxes for a little show and tell!


First up three different cavalry units, on the left a generic “Roundhead” unit (the very first ECW troops I painted circa 1992) in the centre the command stand for the Cuirassiers – Haselrigs Lobsters -  and on the right, more recently painted mounted dragoons.


Next three more cavalry types – floppy hat (Royalists) on the left, Pophams Horse (I think) based on an engraving in some church somewhere in England and the generic standard bearer on the right.


One of two artillery pieces I have


Three infantry stands showing some of the command and musketeer poses that were available


Dismounted dragoons who featured in the Friday night game


Three different regimental command stands showing most of the command options


Three different Parliamentarian regiment stands showing most of the pike options


Part of a Royalist regiment showing pikes and command


Command and musketeer figures from a Parliamentarian regiment


Three different Parliamentarian musketeer stands


Two senior commander figures

 

So that’s the lot – I presume that the sculptor at Front Rank withdrew these as they are not as dynamic as his later creations but to be honest, I always liked them and the pike pose of the guys standing with the pike straight up in the air is a more practical option for gaming than all the ones at present or push of pike

18 comments:

  1. They all look pretty decent! My armies for the period are mostly warlord plastics or Essex with a smattering of Foundry and Perry ,but these look good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - my full ECW collection includes some of all of the above (excluding Essex) plus Dixon, Bicorne and Renegade

      Delete
    2. I agree. The figures look good to me too. My ECW collection consists of the larger side group of 28mm figures including primarily Redoubt and Renegade.

      Delete
    3. Those certainly are the big boned 28mm ranges Jonathan!

      Delete
  2. They do look nice and I agree about the pike position, as I can never understand why you would want them horizontal in a game, due to the space taken up etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve....I must admit that the horizontal pike looks great...its just very impractical!

      Delete
  3. Hi Kieth- Yes, Front Rank figures are excellent - I had 7Yrs War Armies by Front Rank (Austrians & Prussians)- thanks for showing us your ECW. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kev....our gaming mate Mark used to run a business producing Front Rank under license, so my earlier collections are all that range..I have British and French Napoleonic, French and Indian war and AWI in that range...plus bits and pieces of others eg WSS....great figures.

      Delete
  4. Very nice and full of character - I wish I had been sensible enough to keep hold of some of my older armies its good to keep in touch with one’s own wargame roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm....apart from a few really old figures (the kind Aly Morrison would like to paint with gloss paint) I have not sold anything....but that causes its own issues, as many collections just sit in their boxes year in, year out....

      Delete
  5. Nice models with lots of character. You’ve picked out the faces very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late response - I did answer earlier but Blogger seems to have failed to save it! My face painting style has changed over the years - as has my basing - but I think they still pass muster!

      Delete
  6. That is good to see! I have never seen anyone else's Front Rank ECW other than my own. Sometimes I doubt they were Front Rank as one never hears of them, so it's good to get it confirmed! I bought mine around 1991/92 in a cavalry set, which included harqubusiers, cuirassiers, dragoons, an artillery piece and a general if I recall correctly. I have never seen their infantry figures, so this is a joy to see how they looked. I might even have an old catalogue for Front Rank in the attic as I kept stuff like that. My figures were among my earliest foray's into wargaming. I think I was using a first version of Forlorn Hope rules at the time.
    Best wishes,

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason. Funny you mention a catalogue...I tried Googling it to see if I could add the part number to my photo descriptions but could not find one!

      Delete
  7. I like the older-style Front Rank figures. All very well-fed, and you get your money's worth of metal. I have always particularly liked Front Rank horses, and that standing pose appears in quite a few ranges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, yes I agree, Front Rank are still one of my favourite ranges to paint. Some people have an issue with the big round faces but personally I like them and the very obvious detail on belts, buttons, cuffs etc suits my painting style!

      Delete
  8. Despite a venerable age they still look great and ready to fight :)
    And yes, a pike straight up poses much more useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry - I am glad you liked them!

      Delete