Thursday 12 November 2020

The Eleventh Hour of the Eleventh Day of the Eleventh Month......

 
Below, hand drawn sketch of my father in law done by a street artist in  Rome in 1945, whilst serving with the 21st Btn of the 2nd NZ Division

This is just a brief post, inspired by Mark over at My Brave Fusiliers blog

My father in law, Gordon Alexander Rowland, served in the 21st NZ Battalion in Italy in 1944/45 and also with the British Commonwealth Occupation Force in Japan after the end of the war.

Though we all enjoy collecting, painting and playing with toy soldiers, I am sure we all realise that there is nothing glamorous or heroic about warfare. However, sometimes, it is necessary. A quote from an officer of the Gordon Highlanders whilst commenting on a Commonwealth graveyard in Berlin, where several Gordon Highlanders are interred:

“The second world war was a war that needed fighting. The world would have been a desperate place if Hitler and the Nazis had not been defeated, and as I look around me at this grave yard and think of all the British and Commonwealth soldiers lying here, they truly should be remembered and I hope, forever”

 




 
Gordons WW2 kitbag, still in his possession 75 years later
 
 
 

The 2nd New Zealand Division, initially the New Zealand Division, was an infantry division of the New Zealand Military Forces (New Zealand's army) during the Second World War. The division was commanded for most of its existence by Lieutenant-General Bernard C. Freyberg. It fought in Greece, Crete, the Western Desert and Italy. In the Western Desert Campaign, the division played a prominent role in the defeat of German and Italian forces in the Second Battle of El Alamein and the British Eighth Army's advance to Tunisia.

In late 1943, the division was moved to Italy, taking part in the Eighth Army's campaign on Italy's Adriatic coast, which ground to a halt at the end of the year. In early 1944, the division formed the nucleus of the New Zealand Corps, fighting two battles attempting unsuccessfully to penetrate the Gustav Line at Monte Cassino. The division saw further action on the Gothic Line in Italy in 1944 and took part in the Allied 1945 Spring offensive, which led to the surrender of German forces in Italy in May. After returning to New Zealand, reorganised elements of the division formed part of the occupational forces in Japan from 1945.

By the end of the war, the New Zealand Division had a reputation as a tough formation with good troops. This opinion had earlier been expressed by Rommel in his report to the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht on 21 July 1942 (at the end of the First Battle of El Alamein) in which he highly rated the New Zealand Division. This view was repeated within the German 5th Panzer Division intelligence reports. Rommel also paid tribute to the division in his memoirs:

This division, with which we had already become acquainted back in 1941–1942, was among the elite of the British Army and I should have been very much happier if it had been safely tucked away in our prison camps instead of still facing us.

General Bernard Montgomery, who commanded the British Eighth Army and who would later command the Allied land forces in the invasion of Normandy, recommended that the division should be used in the invasion of Normandy but the New Zealand government did not approve the move. This was because the division was fighting at Monte Cassino at the time.

Captain Charles Upham, VC and Bar, of the New Zealand Division, was the only person to be awarded the Victoria Cross twice during the Second World War. Other Victoria Crosses were awarded to John 'Jack' Hinton, Alfred Hulme, Keith Elliott, and Moana-Nui-a-Kiwa Ngarimu. Lance Sergeant Haane Manahi of the Māori Battalion was posthumously honoured in 2007 by representatives of the Queen after it was decided that his Distinguished Conduct Medal, awarded for actions at Takrouna, was not to be upgraded to a Victoria Cross, despite recommendations from senior officers, including Lieutenant-General Brian Horrocks.

Elements of the division, the 9th Brigade, were reorganized as the division disbanded to become J Force, (Japan), the New Zealand contribution to the British Commonwealth Occupation Force in Japan.

 

15 comments:

  1. What a nice tribute. I’m certainly glad we had you guys on our side. Not forgetting the contribution made by New Zealanders in other branches of service in the air, on the sea and not least in the LRDG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - my wife's father is a pretty frail 96 year old now and one of the few left of that generation. I am an ex pat Scot but have been here more than half my life 33/58 years.

      Delete
    2. I agree! Great tribute and I love the hand-drawn sketch from 1945. What a wonderful piece of memorabilia.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jonathan, yes, it is great that it has survived all these years!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kieth- I've found your words, story and pictures most interesting about the New Zealanders - there is a lot to be very thankful and always proud about.
    My Father served in WW2 based at Moratai (Pacific) with the Australian Infantry Force (AIF)...at the end of hostilities he declined joining the Ocupational Force to Japan- and came home to resume Sheep and Cattle Farming. Dad passed away in 1993 aged 84. Dad's two Brother- Cyril and Edgar- also served in WW2...Cyril was 'A Desert Rat'...he came home to build Schools and Edgar was a 'Bee Keeper'. Thanks for this Post Keith. Regards. KEV. (Sydney-Australia).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kev. Your family was pretty lucky, having three brothers go away to fight and all three come back again to lead long and happy lives.

      Delete
  3. Certainly a nice tribute to your father-in-law and I love the sketch made in Italy, it really seems to have captured his likeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, yes it is a pretty good drawing. Having only known him as an elderly man ...he was in his 60's when I first met him ....it's strange to see the photos of him as a tweety year old.

      Delete
    2. That would be a TWENTY year old! :)

      Delete
  4. A lovely sketch and a nice tribute. I really must do some research into my family's participation as I only have bits and pieces, and a handful of memorabilia. The older I get the more fascinating I find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Lawrence. I know a bit about my own parents, but they were too young to participate. My dad was born in 1930 so was only 15 when the war ended. My mum was three years #older and she had stories about being bombed (because there was an RAF base at Montrose, on the route between Norway and the Clyde, which German bombers used. There was a Free Polish airforce squadron based there and she had friends amongst the pilots, went to dances at the officers mess etc. My dad did National Service after studying law, he was in Germany and went to E Berlin a few times etc but was fortunate enough to miss out on going to fight in Korea, even though that's when he was in the army. He kept all his insignia - staff sergeants rank badges, divisional flashes etc but unfortunately he let me get my hands on them when I was eight or ten and they just became something I played with until they were lost - it annoys me now that I don't have them but nothing I can do about it!

      Delete
    2. I lived in England between the ages of two and ten and, before we left to go to NZ, my grandfather on my father's side gave me what seemed at the time a large bag of all the medals from my father's side of the family. We put them in some bedside drawers when the furniture was shipped, and that bedside set of drawers with the medals in them was the only thing to "go missing" en route. I'll never know what was in the collection, but it something that has haunted me ever since.

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah, I recognise that emotion Lawrence. I found a few studio photos of my mums dad in his WW1 uniform around 1985 and put them in a photo album. That album went astray after my mum died and my dad moved house, after I was out here in NZ. It P's me off every time I think about it! At least I have his medals and also his officers field handbook (which I posted about one ANZAC Day). I also have a leather tobacco pouch of regimental badges and buttons etc that he swapped with other units I presume....

      Delete
  5. Quite a fitting tribute to your dad and all the other brave Kiwi warriors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean - unfortunately my wife, brother in law and I have just spent the weekend arranging hospital level care in a retirement village as his wife is no longer able to look after him at home. Not sure how much longer he will be with us, but in the meantime its going to cost about $1700 per week for the room...sad end of life but one a lot of us will have to endure I imagine....

      Delete