Sunday 15 November 2020

Tarawera Wargaming Week - Game Five - Western Gunfighters

I had been planning to post about a Sunday game at Barry’s using my War of 1812 figures but unfortunately family drama intervened at the last moment and I was unable to attend. Mark will have posted a report on 1866 and All That about what I missed…..:(

So instead, here are a few images from our final game at Lake Tarawera, traditionally a short duration affair as we need to pack up after lunch and head off home. This year, we chose to do a Western Gunfight game run by Rick, who supplied all the terrain and figures, using the Knuckleduster Gunfighters Ball rule set.

There were seven players plus Rick as umpire. Chris and Paul fought out a separate little duel in the town, with Paul playing some professional killers who had been hired to kill Wyatt Earp and his brothers.

Barry and I were the Clanton gang, Mark and John were another group bringing a herd of cattle in to the railhead – our aim was to ambush them and steal the cattle. Julian was a bunch of law enforcement officials (not quite sure who they were – possibly one was Honest John Behan who was a nemesis of the Earp’s according to the Kevin Costner movie…) and he was there to arrest or kill almost everyone!

I wont give a blow by blow account as it was three weeks ago now and I had enough trouble remembering which figure was which character on the actual day! Basically, almost everyone got shot – Julian’s guys were up on a water tower taking everyone out with rifle fire, whilst Barry and I killed a few of John and Marks figures and they reciprocated! The cattle herd ended up stampeding through the town, California Kate appeared from the town and shot Behan in the back – it was all the usual western gunfight drama!

 

Above and below – the railhead town



 

Above and below – the character cards for my three figures













 

The remainder of the images are various incidents throughout the game, which ended up with most of the non lawmen dead. I think I may have had one dismounted figure left at the end of the game. All good clean fun but as Mark noted elsewhere on his blog, its not really the best ruleset for multiple players, two or three is a better number.

22 comments:

  1. Your town looks great. It is always something I fancy doing as it looks fun, I am part of the 'westerns on TV' generation and it has a low figure count, but it is the thought of the storage for another trug of dedicated terrain that has put me off.

    Is this the perfect antidote to re-capturing a mid-week evening game I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm - yes, we are lucky that Rick has taken it on himself to get most of the scenery. I have bought about twenty figures but that's it and another guy in our group Julian also has twenty or thirty figures, so we have three times as many as we will ever need to fight these little skirmish games - about six weeks ago, we had three games in one evening session.

      Delete
  2. Superb buildings, very atmospheric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil - I agree, Rick has done a great job bringing these mdf buildings to life and they make all the difference to the look of the games!

      Delete
  3. Not my sort of period at all, but a lovely looking game nonetheless:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Norm in that I would like to give this a go, but it is fairly well down the list of priorities so, like yourself, I'd be keen if someone else were to invest in the terrain. We did have a group member who was starting to get this together for Dead Man's Hand (I think it was), but family and grandchildren has meant we haven't seen him for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes agreed..we are lucky Rick got all enthusiastic about this period and got all the buildings. You should definitely give it a go Lawrence

      Delete
  5. Hi- Very good gaming is the Westerns - Cowboys, Gunfighters- Lawmen...all good fun...terrific job there by Rick. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev...yes Rick made a huge contribution to this years extravaganza...as he also provide all the figures for both sides in the WWI game

      Delete
  6. A Western gunfight is a perfect, light-hearted way to end a Wargaming week. Looked like a very enjoyable week for you all. Thanks for posting your Wargaming week activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan and I totally agree. I have been happy to record and post about the event and already planning for 2021!

      Delete
  7. Nicely looking game! I guess you had a really great week dedicated to the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry. Yes it's a fantastic experience and we all realise how lucky we are to get such a great experience

      Delete
  8. Very cool looking Gunfighter game. Sorry to hear you couldn't make the 1812 game. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. My father in law, who I posted about re his WW2 service, had to go into hospital (again) and can't go home, so we had to help mother in law sort out a room in a retirement village. It's been on the cards for six to nine months but still a traumatic time for my wife and her mum and brother....

      Delete
  9. Great looking western game, not my thing but my nephews are doing dead mans hand,maybe I'll get a game after lockdown!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain...you definitely give it a go sometime. All the best for the renewed lockdown

      Delete
  10. A nice looking game Kieth...
    My friend has a large Dead Mans Hand collection...
    I have had a few games...using the only gunfighter figure I own...
    I have found that I get shot a lot...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly...getting shot a lot tends to be a common feature of western gunfighter games!

      Delete
  11. How much fun does that look! That looks superb, the town is amazing. I'm toying with the idea of getting into Western games. I think that the Too Fat Lardies are about to bring a Western supplement out so I shall look out for that one, though I have yet to read any rules for Western games yet. It does sound a lot of fun.
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason, I would definitely recommend Western gunfights for a quick, fun game. Our group played some games several years ago using The Rules With No Name, which worked quite well, and now we are using Gunfighters Ball. The mechanics of them all are pretty similar so I imagine the Lardies version will use their ideas from Chain of Command etc but just transfer them to the Wild West - should be a nice set of rules when it comes out!

      Delete