Saturday 19 December 2020

"The Last Post"......

Back on 12 November, I posted about my father in law, Gordon Rowland, who served for three years with the New Zealand Division during World War Two. Shortly after the post, his health went downhill and he moved from the family home he had shared with his wife for 65 years into a hospital level retirement village. Unfortunately he continued to fade and soon was not eating very much and then barely able to speak. Over the weekend of 11/12 December. he deteriorated further and at 1am on Tues 15 Dec he passed away, with his wife holding his hand and my wife beside her. The next few days were a flurry of activity and his funeral was yesterday, Friday 18 Dec.

Here are a couple of images I took of the service. My mother in law insisted on a "soldiers funeral" as she knew Gordon would have wanted that. The coffin was draped in the New Zealand Flag and his campaign medals were displayed. At the end of the ceremony, a bugler payed The Last Post (hence the title of this post) and a member of the Returned Services Association recited the ode to the fallen, that is read every year at Anzac Day ceremonies.

I had the honour of doing the Eulogy for Gordon and following is the part relating to his war service

"In January 1942 at the age of 18 Gordon was enlisted into the 21st battalion of the New Zealand Army. His occupation at the time of his enlistment was recorded as Farm Hand, Karaka. He was stationed at camps at Waikaraka Park, Kaipara Flats, Whangarei and Opaheke before sailing on the troopship Empress of Scotland to Egypt. From there he moved to the campaign in Italy and served with the 2nd New Zealand Division there between 1943 to 1945, attaining the rank of sergeant, and ending the war in Europe in the far north of Italy at Trieste, where the NZ Division met Titos Yugoslavian Partisan army and prevented the city from being annexed by the communist forces."

After the end of the war in the Pacific, Gordon was transferred from Italy as part of J Force, the British Commonwealth Occupation Force sent to assist in the occupation of Japan. He sailed from Italy via Aden then Colombo, Singapore and Hong Kong before arriving in Kure in Japan, where he spent his time with the occupation forces. During his time in Japan, he was promoted to the rank of Company Sergeant Major, and recorded that there were many amusing incidents. After one incident, which he has not left details of, he was demoted back to sergeant again. 




They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.




 A game tomorrow, so I will have something more cheery to post about...

26 comments:

  1. I am very sorry to hear of your very sad loss, Keith. Your Father-in-Law was clearly a very brave man who served his family and his country well. He has my admiration and respect. My sincere condolences to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason, he was a quiet man who did not share much about what had seen and done.

      Delete
  2. My condolences, Keith, to you and your family.
    Take care, my friend.

    I would really like to hear the story behind the demotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. I believe the demotion may have been an occasion when there was either an Ensa show or a film evening. The front two or three rows were supposed to be reserved for officers but as they were boozing in the mess, were occupied by enlisted men. A virtual riot ensued when the officers arrived and attempted to claim their places....I think Gordon may have been involved!

      Delete
  3. A lovely tribute Keith and a sad loss thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sincere condolences Keith. I hope the game tomorrow brings a smile or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I am sure the game will give me a big lift.

      Delete
  5. Condolences Keith for the loss of a loved one. A nice tribute, Gordon sounds quite a character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, he certainly was. When I first arrived 33 years ago and went to the Anzac Day parade, I asked my wife why her dad had no medals. She didn't know, he just never had, so later on, I asked Gordon. It turned out that after returning from the war, the soldiers had to write in with details of their service and apply for their medals. "I didn't have to apply to be sent over there" he said" So I didn't see why I should have to ask for my medals!" and he never did. I arranged to get them for Christmas a couple of years after I came out here and I think he was quite pleased, even though he was too bloody minded to ever ask for them himself!

      Delete
  6. My condolences, sorry for your loss...Nice tribute...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fitting send off and tribute for him and good that you were all able to be there for his final days and the funeral. Sincere condolences to all the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve ...I was very pleased when my mother in law said she wanted the full military style funeral, as he certainly deserved it in my opinion.

      Delete
  8. A find celebration of a 'life less ordinary' Keith. All the best to you and all the family.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers James - I guess it was quite an ordinary life for his generation, but few today have to make the sacrifices his generation were called upon to make.

      Delete
  9. Sorry for your loss, please accept my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry, appreciate your comments

      Delete
  10. My condolences to you and your family Keith...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly - a life well lived, but still sad when it comes to the inevitable conclusion

      Delete
  11. My condolences, Keith, to you and your family. Gordon certainly saw some theatres.
    Best wishes
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu, yes, he saw a few things - a canal full of the charred bodies of German Falschirmjaegers caught by British flame throwers at Faenza, and visited Hiroshima within months of the Bomb being dropped....

      Delete
  12. Sorry for your loss,sounds like a decent innings and a short illnesses lets all hope for that!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - yes, I agree, he was in his own home until six weeks before he departed, would be good to have the same ending to look forward to.

      Delete
  13. A great eulogy for a great man from the greatest generation, Keith. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean - I agree with all your sentiments (well, apart from the great eulogy part - seeing I wrote it, that would be a bit conceited!)

      Delete