This won't be an in-depth report - mainly just an excuse to post some pics of our "fantasy" type figures in a small "dungeon crawl" game arranged by Andrew at Julians place.
It's going to be even shorter than I thought, as I seem to have accidentally deleted half the images!
As usual, four bands of adventurers searching for treasure and a lost artifact
Chris used some of my figures in the game
Here we all are, in close combat inside the crypt!
Julian and Andrew were at the other end of the table, fending off Chaos Warriors as well as each other!
This character also appeared and targeted Andrews band
Near the end of the game, and the number of characters still involved has been dramatically reduced!
My Barbarian Heroine had been dispatched by Chris 😒
Another nasty monster who once again, targeted Andrew and Julian!
Only a few heroes left now
Chris had secured the artifact and headed for his exit point
A band or Orcs arrived, but in the wrong place to interfere with Chris's escape, unfortunately
There should have been a few more images, but as I said, I deleted them somehow and I can't find them in either my laptop or phone trash bin.... It was a brutal game - I managed to get one of my archers away, everyone else died - and Chris I think only had his magic user and hero remaining. Andrews entire band was wiped out and Julian had two or three characters left as well!
A few images of mid-winter in Auckland - this is a couple of weeks ago I think - first daffodil in evidence
Bright and sunny but reasonably cool at 4 to 6 deg C
Then last Saturday, it was a bit misty when I took our dog out
This hung around till lunchtime I think
The weekend just past was cold and wet
And this morning, I had to scrape ice off my windscreen before leaving for work!
Hope all is well with you.



























The game looks fun
ReplyDeleteCheers Scotty - I was amazed to see this post appear IMMEDIATELY after I posted it - first time in weeks that has happened!
DeleteIt was on my feed showing posted 2 minutes ago
DeleteYes - and on Jons PWJ instantaneously as well - long may it continue thus!
DeleteFabulous fun.
ReplyDeleteWe did have a lot of laughs Michael!
DeleteHi Keith,
ReplyDeleteSplendid report! There's nothing quite like a high-casualty multi-player game to keep everyone on their toes. Sorry to hear your Barbarian Heroine didn't make it, but glad at least one archer managed to escape with their life! Lovely scenery photos from Auckland as well—stay warm down there!
Cheers, Andy
Thanks Andy - nasty old Chris did try to catch up with and kill my last surviving lady, but she managed to get away - just!
DeleteLooks a fun game, Keith.
ReplyDeleteCheers Ray - a good few laughs along the way, even though at one point everyone seemed to be hell bent on killing all my characters!
DeleteLooks like an enjoyable game! Shame about the missing photos!
ReplyDeleteThanks Bill and yes, I am a bit anooyed about that!
DeleteKeith, your multi-player game certainly looks like fun. Sometimes things get worse and you have to cut losses. . Shame about the photos. Chilly morning here as well. 60 F degrees at 6 am.
ReplyDeleteThanks Joe - it was an enjoyable game - Had to use Google to work this out! - 60f = 15-16C and 4C = 39f. When I got in the car this morning it was 1C = 34f.
DeleteThe allure of adding a small collection for dungeon-crawl type games is a strong one (so far, resisted). A good option for a quick game at the end of a week, I'm thinking. Hitting mid summer here, but hints at the turn of the season towards fall/autumn are starting to be felt in the air.
ReplyDeleteYes, a small A4 box file of around forty figures is all I have Ed - but that is plenty for these types of games! Have you been having the blistering heatwaves that are afflicting the UK and southern Europe?
DeleteLooked like another chaotic dungeon-delve for you chaps. I really should paint some more of my too-large fantasy backlog...
ReplyDeleteEverso envious of your mild weather - we are about to suffer "Summer" in it's all too typical fury... Why have I stayed in this part of the country for the past (almost) 25 years? LOL
I agree, Dai! I am envious of such mild winter conditions as well.
DeleteThanks Dai - I think you need to get back to WW2 Bolt Action, personally! We don't get real extremes in either direction here in Auckland - according to Gemini - the warmest month usually being February (hitting average highs around 24.4°C / 76°F) and the coldest month typically being July (averaging a low of about 7.7°C / 46°F – 47°F).
DeleteAnd for you Jon, I got this stat - All-Time High: 34.0°C (93.2°F), recorded in Henderson on February 12, 2009 (during a severe regional heatwave). All-Time Low: -5.7°C (21.7°F), recorded in Riverhead in June 1936 (though inner-city and coastal sites rarely drop below freezing, with official suburban extremes hitting around -4.3°C in June 1994).
DeleteGood looking game Keith some lovely miniatures on show there, looks like it was a fun one.
ReplyDeleteCheers Donnie - I did enjoy painting this small collection and the games are generally a good laugh too!
DeleteAn advantage with these sort of games is that you know you are going to reach a proper game conclusion by the end of the session .... something missing from many games.
ReplyDeleteThis is indeed very true Norm!
DeleteHa! I also have that "Heart" Tokens from Arkhan Horror game :)
ReplyDeleteGreat looking fantasy clash!
Those are part of Andrews quite large collection of peripherals from various fantasy boardgames, Michal - as are the boards and 3d printed scenery - a lot of it coming from your homeland, as it happens!
DeleteThese Friday night fantasy games always look like fun with some very characterful figures.
ReplyDeleteCheers Lawrence - yes, a nice end to the week without anything too complicated for tired old brains!
DeleteA fun looking game Keith with lots of interesting characters
ReplyDeleteThansk Matt - yes, the figures are the main attraction of these games for me - along with very simple scenarios, and rules!
DeleteGorgeous sky on a clear winter's day, but was it really '...reasonably cool at 4 to 6 deg C' during the day?! Bloody hell! No wonder you need a crazy fantasy skirmish game to warm you up.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes, James
Thanks James - yep, we are about the same latitude as Tasmania here I think - but also line up with some surprising equivalents in the northern hemisphere - Spain: Malaga and Marbella (on the famous Costa del Sol) sit right around 36.7° N to 36.5° N, offering a Mediterranean counterpart to Auckland's coastal warmth.
DeleteGreece: Athens is located very close to this parallel (around 37.9° N, just slightly further north), while southern parts of the Peloponnese peninsula and the island of Crete line up closely with Auckland's latitude. Italy: Palermo (Sicily) sits at approximately 38.1° N, putting it just a stone's throw away from the same distance north.
Tunisia (North Africa): Tunis, the capital city, is located at roughly 36.8° N—making its exact angular distance from the equator a direct northern match for Auckland.
Morocco (North Africa): Fez sits at about 34° N, but parts of northern Morocco and the Mediterranean coastline approach this parallel. And for American readers: Three US cities located right along or very close to the 36.8° N parallel (matching Auckland's 36.8° S mirror latitude) include:
Tulsa, Oklahoma: Sits right at approximately 36.1° N to 36.5° N.
Nashville, Tennessee: Positioned closely at roughly 36.2° N.
Chesapeake, Virginia: Located at approximately 36.7° N, sitting right near the Atlantic coast.
Great looking game and l enjoyed the real life photos too.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Alan - like you, I like to include some non-wargaming content occasionally!
DeleteIt’s always fun to do a dungeon crawl, you can get quite attached to those miniatures only to see them get cut down by some goblin or orc horde.
ReplyDeleteThanks Peter - yes, I was a bit irritated by Chris in that game - he made a non-aggression pact with Julian for some reason and concentrated most of his efforts in killing off my band!
DeleteLovely figures to look at as always Keith, the sort of thing I would have loved to have played many decades ago, but not my sort of thing these days. But then you are playing with your mates, so it doesn't matter that much in the long run. Funny seeing daffodils, mist and some ice on your car, given the weather we have been having. Some places haven't had any rain for over 40 days now!
ReplyDeleteThanks Steve! We use rather simple rules of Andrews devising - very similar to his WW2 rules but without the card deck to randomise who moves next. "Real" D&D/RPG players would probably hate it, but it hits the mark for us.
DeleteYes, it's unusual to see the UK with such a sustained period of pleasant warm weather!