As I mentioned in my previous post, I have been doing a bit of painting recently, and here is the next fruit of my labour
This is the first (of two) 3D printed Studebaker US6 Red Army trucks
The US6 was manufactured primarily for export under Lend-Lease. The Soviet Union would become the largest foreign operator. The first Studebaker US6 trucks arrived in the USSR in the autumn of 1941. The Red Army organized a test of eleven 6×6 US6 trucks which took place between July 1942 and May 1943. The results were used to direct the enlargement of the payload from 2+1⁄2 to 4 short tons (2,300 to 3,600 kg). In 1945, it was lowered to 3+1⁄2 short tons (3,200 kg), although on improved roads they could carry up to a maximum of 5 short tons (4,500 kg).
I got two trucks but only one set of 6 passengers (more may follow)
The lady looking over the tail gate is a Bad Squiddo tank rider!
And yes, there is a production fault on the rear portion of the body - it's more obvious under the light than normal conditions
Large numbers of Studebaker US6 trucks were supplied to the Soviet Union via the Persian Corridor in Iran under the US's Lend-Lease programme. The truck fulfilled many important roles in service with Soviet military forces during the war, such as towing artillery pieces and anti-tank guns and transporting troops over long distances. It was renowned for its overall ruggedness and reliability, including its ability to run on poor-quality fuel. The Soviet Red Army also found them to be a suitable platform for conversion into Katyusha rocket launchers, although this was not their main purpose. The truck became affectionately known as the Studer by Soviet troops and was even recognized for its importance (to the Soviet war effort) by Joseph Stalin, who sent a personal letter of appreciation to Studebaker, in which he thanked it for the superb quality of the US6 for Soviet service
Now, for something a little different, yesterday I had to go for a regular bloodletting session (my tenth, as it turns out - I received a gift to mark the occasion!)
Dodgy "selfies" done one handed with my left hand while the right was otherwise occupied!
Not my favourite thing - I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't basically the only treatment available!
The reason for this quarterly procedure is explained below (thanks to my old pal AI!)
The "Celtic curse" is a nickname for hereditary hemochromatosis, an inherited genetic disorder. It causes the body to absorb too much iron from food, leading to a dangerous buildup of iron in organs like the liver, heart, and joints.
Causes and Origins
Genetic Mutation: It is caused by a change in the HFE gene (most commonly the C282Y variant) passed down through families.
Celtic Ancestry: The nickname comes from its high frequency in people with Celtic, Irish, Scottish, and Northern European heritage.
High-Risk Hotspots: Recent mapping shows the highest carrier rates occur in northwest Ireland, Northern Ireland, and the Outer Hebrides.
Common Symptoms
Chronic Fatigue: Extreme and ongoing tiredness.
Joint Pain: Aching and stiffness, often in the hands.
Organ Damage: Can lead to arthritis, liver disease, diabetes, or heart rhythm issues if left untreated.
Delayed Signs: Symptoms often appear slowly over decades, sometimes showing up later in life or after menopause in women.
Treatment and Management
Blood Removal: Regular therapeutic phlebotomy (giving blood) safely lowers excess iron levels in the body.
Early Detection: Simple blood tests can catch high iron levels before permanent organ damage happens
That's all from me for tonight - having a 20mm SCW game at Julians place tomorrow so that should be something a little bit different - AAR will appear over the weekend.









Nice looking trucks Keith…
ReplyDeleteIt sometimes seems to me that most wargamers have rare and unusual conditions…. As well as wargaming.
I am no longer bothered by needles and the like, it’s been done so often it has just got boring ๐คฃ
All the best. Aly
Thanks Aly - being wargamer is certainly the rarest and most unusual condition I "suffer" from!
DeleteThe hemochromatosis, on the other hand, I think 10% of Scots and Irish people have it!
That’s funny, Keith! Nice trucks!
DeleteThanks Jon - I assume this is not showing up on anyone's blog roll yet, as its over 24 hors since I posted it and still only 3 comments (plus my three replies.....)
DeleteNot showing up on blogroll yet. What is interesting, when I scroll through the blogroll and find your thumbnail, it shows the old, previous post. Then when I click on the thumbnail, this post appears!
DeleteYeah - it's quite annoying - but seems like it may be the new normal - must be 6 weeks or more that it's been happening. To be fair, my last few posts have engendered 30+ comments. which is as well as I have ever done, so it's only delaying people's visits, not stopping them altogether....
DeleteThis post has now hit my blogroll but with a one-day delay.
DeleteA day isn't too bad I guess Jon!
DeleteGreat work the trucks and the passengers .
ReplyDeleteThe blood draw is a pain, although to be able to donate is a plus. All the best.
Cheers Joe - yes, it's a pain but it has some good outcomes for society - I may have inadvertently helped save a life or two - who knows?!
DeleteYou have or will make someone better off. Used to be regular donor, health problems preclude new draws.
DeleteThanks Joe - it's why I decided to donate at the Blood Service rather than just get the therapeutic blood removal done at the hospital - the haematology nurse told me if I went there, they would just throw it out - seemed a bit of a waste!
DeleteLove the work on the truck and I don't envy you with the drawing of blood. Needles are definitely not my thing
ReplyDeleteThanks Scotty - my feelings on the needles too - I don't mind injections on the outside of my arm, but I really don't like them fixing a needle into my vein - it's a weird thing!
DeleteGreat looking trucks and a great history lesson too! Well done on the donation as well! I used to donate myself, but am not allowed anymore, due to the blood thinners I have to take.
ReplyDeleteI'd end up killing somone!
Cheers Ray - history straight from Wikipedia and the "donation" isn't really voluntary, so I can't take too much credit!
DeleteGreat work sir!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Michal, ๐๐
DeleteNice looking truck Keith, and great work on it. One of our gaming group has to go through the same procedure every few months. He is more Greek and German in his heritage, so it's obviously not just a Scottish thing.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lawrence, I don't think its unique to the Celts, just more common - maybe Greeks trace back to the Celts too??
DeleteFine looking truck and passengers Keith.
ReplyDeleteGood on you. Donating blood gives you a real 'high' don't you think? A tangible and pretty easy way to provide some real help to others. That said, I have not donated for ages (requires a 100 km each way trip to the big smoke, so I used to try when I went there for work or such), so I need to get back to it. I'm in the 1/3rd blood type category but, as the sign says, 'the most precious blood type is the one that you need at the time)!
Best wishes, James
Thanks a lot James - I cannot really claim any plaudits for giving blood, because if I did not have to for my own benefit, I would not be doing it!
DeleteNice work on the truck plus crew Keith, look good, you are assembling a great collection. I used to donate blood and got my bronze badge but then health problems made my blood not so attractive and they won't take it anymore, mind you have had enough taken recently!!
ReplyDeleteCheers Donnie - I hope your health issues are all under control now?
DeleteAye back at work and feeling grand, stamina coming back nicely, all good!
DeleteThat's very good to hear mate.
DeleteNice truck with Soviets, and let the bloodletting begin!
ReplyDeleteHaha - thanks Dean! Fortunately, I only need the bloodletting once per quarter!
DeleteNice truck and crew, I vote for not gluing stuff down, but maybe finding a way of gluing the figures to a sub assembly so they dont move around, my niece is getting tested for the same thing, not exclusivly celtic, we just have a greater chance of getting it! ( mostly Ulster Irish)
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Thanks Iain - I have tried that previously by sticking the figures to clear plastic or similar for tank riders; it didn't really work well for that but might be ok on a flat bench in a truck. I know I should get a bunch on mini magnets from Temu and drill into the truck and the figures, so the magnets hold them in place, but I am too lazy!
DeleteWell for some reason this appeared quite late in my Reading list Keith:(! Lovely work on the Studebaker truck and always a useful addition to have for our games. I used to donate blood but, having lived in Nigeria, I was unable to do so upon my return. I must check if their screening is better so that I can resume...
ReplyDeleteThanks Steve - no rhyme or reason to what Blogger is doing at the moment - its pulled a new trick on me today!
DeleteI am having therapeutic blood removal as opposed to donating, so not quite as altruistic - but until very recently, my blood would just have been disposed of, because I had been in the UK during the Mad Cow Disease era in the 80's!
Cute truck, Keith! Feel good!
ReplyDeleteThat you Alexey - I feel very good, thank you!
DeleteLove the truck! Personally I'd leave the passengers loose or magnetise them? I prefer the multi-option of being able to use them or instead stick stowage in the back than being stuck with only one usage by gluing whichever.
ReplyDeleteI should get back to my Studer... Built but unpainted. But once I start work on that truck, that would mean I'd need to do the same to my pair of Greek trucks and a German fuel truck... of lord, what have I started?
Thanks Dai - yes, I agree with your philosophy! And I look forward to you getting back to some WW2 painting, too!
Delete