Monday 4 January 2021

More Copplestone Bolsheviks

 Its great being on holiday - lots of painting progress being made - although I do run the risk of running out of anything I actually want to paint (not a common problem for most wargamers, I realise!)

Over the last couple of days, I have painted up ten Copplestone Bolshevik infantry for the RCW. I added a officer I prepared "earlier" (about two years ago probably) to create a two man command base, and the remaining nine are based in threes. I have an order all ready to go off to Brigade games for a bulk batch of 40 Bolshevik infantry plus another 16 sailors...but then there is that order for 6 Btn of Great Northern War Swedes I am supposed to get - decisions, decisions!



The four bases together


The command group with previously painted officer








I like to give the RCW a real mix of kit - different coloured boots, puttees, leather equipment etc..

This is going to be my next project - a bit of a change of pace. About four years ago my gaming buddy Julian and I did a small 20mm project for Chain of Command and/or Nuts etc.Julian had this PzKfw IV  kit but never built it and gifted it to me recently - so that will be next on the "painting" desk


Finally, the following are really just here for my mate Mark at 1866 and all That. He is looking at 18056 Prussians and of course need suitibly attired Frenchmen to take them on. I picked these Victrix infantry up on our local version of E Bay about five years ago for about £10 I think. I managed to create one Light and three Line units from one box - not bad going!





17 comments:

  1. Figures look great, a Keith! You are cranking through the figures, aren't you? Very productive holiday spent at the painting desk. I am impressed by the Victrix early French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan....yes, I am making steady progress ...just hanging out for my 40 odd Border Reivers foot troops from TAG to arrive - were the figures you bought from them in the Nov sale delayed to you too? Victrix make very nice figures but they are pretty fiddly - though not as fiddly as a @@££" Revell 1/72 Panzer IV of my acquaintance!

      Delete
  2. Lovely miniatures, Kieth. Indeed, holidays are the most productive time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry, I am just struggling my way through the German Panzer IV now.....

      Delete
  3. More nice stuff Keith and love them posed against the backdrop of the houses and fields; very effective. My painting mojo at a low ebb at present due to current state of play in the UK, so nice to see others carrying the flag as it were:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve - we seem to be online simultaneously! Yes it must be pretty tough over there at present - hopefully 2021 sees some improvement for you guys.

      Delete
  4. Nice toys Keith...
    The early French (and Prussians) are very pretty... yet another temptation for my butterfly.. 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly...at four units for £23 via Vicrrix, I could be tempted to do a few more...but they are such a hassle to put together! Flutter, flutter.....

      Delete
  5. Interesting comment Keith "I actually want to paint" I do wonder what we all have left tucked away waiting for that inspiration to come along... Perhaps we should open up a gamers swap shop?
    Great job on the Red's you have really captured the feel of the period.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu...I don't have all that much although of course, I do have some stuff unpainted.....I have several plans in mind for 2021....Great Northern War Swedes from Ebor, more Portuguese Napoleonics from Front Rank, some mounted Reivers...and possibly some other skirmish level stuff...could be Three Musketeers or even something ultra modern like pseudo James Bond....

      Delete
    2. Hmmm... ultra modern you say. How "ultra" do you want to go? I have lots of gubbins to pick from if you want to do some kit bashing/ scratch building & even some whole figures, that is if you want to go very SF!!??

      Delete
    3. Hi Andrew...no, I am thinking figures...but it's only because I have seen a couple of blogs recently featuring stuff from Crooked Dice etc...I probably won't ever go there!

      Delete
    4. Crooked Dice are lovely and always a tease.... I always fancied the three musketeer stuff... I have always been a little put off by the detail required on the dress of the period, perhaps one for next year..
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking bolsheviks! I've got the slightly later set of victrix (I think the hats the only difference) they are super fiddly, so I don't think I'd want to have a go at your panzer IV!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain...yes, I didn't enjoy assembling the Victrix figures very much. At least the tank had a comprehensive assembly instruction sheet, although it was VERY fiddly too...the tracks were plastic and comprised about 25 seperate parts per side!

      Delete
  7. Lovely work......running out of stuff though is against the rules for Wargamers ! Beware

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly noted Matt....more lead is en route...I can't be held responsible for the vagaries of international freight movement at the moment...they were ordered in late November!

      Delete