Friday 29 January 2021

Another Game of "Sharp Practice"

 Yesterday (Thurs 28 Jan) Julian and I had a second game of Sharp Practice, once again using his Front Rank SYW/FIW figures painted 20+ years ago. Julian had laid out the scenario before I arrived and explained it to me thus:

"The French occupy two farms and the approaching British wish to secure a nice dry billet for the night. To win, the British must assault and take one or other of the farms."

A quick glance at the table indicated the British seemed to have the easier job this time, so I volunteered to take them (as I was French last time, this seemed eminently fair to me!). Julian being the absolute gentleman that he is, had no objections.




This was pretty cool - Julian had made up "chits" with Red 2, Blue 6 and "Command" cards etc that he pulled from this cup to decide which unit went next. The cup is a family heirloom and dates from the aftermath of Waterloo - 1817 or 1819 etc.. It has a number of "frogs" inside it, so that as you drink the contents, the frogs are gradually revealed - 19th century humour apparently!


This is "most" of the table - two farms occupied by the French in the top left and top right - I determined to attack the one in the top right - after all, there was a female figure amongst the occupants! I started from behind the large wood at the bottom of the picture


I deployed my four units of Jaegers into the woods, combining two of them under a leader into a "super unit" of 12 men


The Coureur de Bois and Regulars defending the farm I intended to ignore.


The object of my assault, the farm ers daughter   on the right!


The Jaegers were quickly in action, and drove off one of Julian's units of Coureur de Bois, who were reduced to half strength


It took a few moves but I eventually managed to combine three regular units - twelve grenadiers and two lots of twelve centre company men - into a single combined unit


The Coureur de Bois from farm two moved out to head towards the central woods - Julian had made a similar move with the same troops from the target farm, leaving a single unit of twelve regulars to face my 36 man unit....


Julian activated his unit in the target farm and was about to take the first shot - unfortunately for Julian, I ended up with 4 "Command" cards - this allows you to interrupt and take an additional action out of sequence - which I did! The first volley - I rolled 1 D6 per man, needing 4-6 to score a hit - the twelve grenadiers were classified as expert shots and hit on a 3+. I rolled quite badly and only got 5 or 6 hits out of 36 possible. I then had to re roll the 6 hits, killing a man on a 6 or causing shock on a 4 or 5.


A couple of card draws later, my mounted officer in charge of the regulars came up and the 36 man unit fired again - results above - 6 dead and 8 shock. For every two shock a unit has, one less man can fire - so Julian's 12 man unit was now reduced to two effectives and to add insult to injury, BOTH his attached leaders had been killed!



The two man unit pulls back from the hedge line. Their junior leader had rolled a 6 and rejoined but at a lower grade than before


Meanwhile, in the centre, the light infantry exchanged fire - but not very evenly. Julian had two six man units and I had one six man and one twelve man unit - my superiority in fire power can be seen in the red shock markers on the right hand French unit


Having fired pretty ineffectually for much of the game, the second French regular unit emerged from Farm 2 but they were too little, too late.


My Grade 3 mounted officer ordered the grenadiers to split off from the remainder of the British regulars and take the farm, whilst their colleagues fired long range volleys into the already shaken Coureur de Bois


The Jaegers in the woods added their fire power too and both of the French units were reduced to 50% strength, plus carrying shock markers


The grenadiers enter the farm yard to rescue Ms Alice Munro (Last of the Mohicans reference there!)


A view of "most" of the table at the end of the game, but from a different angle. The French in the target farm (foreground) have been eliminated and the grenadiers are in possesion.


The victorious British commander, Major Duncan Heyward (LotM again).

Another very enjoyable game and we seem to be getting the hang of some of the mechanics although there was still quite a bit of referring to the rules to get things right - and we forgot quite a few things, such as "first fire" bonus for regular units on their first shot, or the "blazing away" rule that means once you fire at a target, you men will just continue to load and fire at it until you use command to stop them! I am enjoying these rules and they have given us two nice little games so I look forward to doing a few more of these over the coming weeks.

20 comments:

  1. Lovely sized game, everyone who plays this system seems to enjoy it and come back for more. I like the hedge with the fence revealed in the centre, nicely executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm...yes, they are quite pleasing rules to use. The hedges were purchased for some bargain basement cost I believe...don't quote me but I think the supplier is called Emperor Toad..or maybe Frog...!

      Delete
  2. Great to see these rules getting another run out Keith:). I haven't heard a bad word about them and they certainly play much better than CoC IMHO. As for the family heirloom, I wouldn't dare to use it for drawing the chits out etc, but it did look the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...so far, so good with the rules! There are quite a lot of nuances that so far, we have forgotten Eg when firing, we should add an extra D6 for each command level of the leader, but as neither of us remembered, it didn't really affect anything! As for the Napoleonic era ceramic, I agree, that's why I let Julian do all the chit drawing!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a fun gaming session, Keith. While I have Sharp Practice, I have yet to give it a try. Oh, and my 28mm FIW collection has not seen battle for years either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very enjoyable Jonathan and I would recommend giving Sharp Practice an outing. It would work very well as a solo game, given the random nature of unit activation etc. Julian and I had an FIW campaign about twenty years ago, using a set of rules from Canada called Habitants and Highlanders, great fun but the troops have been confined to barracks since we concluded on the Heights of Abraham!

      Delete
    2. Habitants and Highlanders is a really useful wargaming aid as are the other publications from CWJ.

      Delete
    3. Totally agree Jonathan - I see we are on line at the same time different times of day in our respective time zones - I think you may be 18 hours behind me - I am just eating my breakfast at 0710 Saturday! I really liked a lot of the mechanisms in H&H - the firing & based on number of figures remaining in a unit, the one, two or three action cards, meaning occasionally a unit could deliver a devastating three action volley etc - happy days!

      Delete
    4. Interesting on time zone differences. It is 11:12am Friday here.

      Delete
    5. OK - must be 21 hours difference then I guess - when it is 11am Fri with you, its 8am Sat here....

      Delete
  4. Nice looking game......reminds me to get some more FIW figures painted up I have a few outstanding 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service Matt...I look forward to seeing you and Jonathan crossing swords again soon!

      Delete
  5. That seemed like a relatively easy victory for the British this time, as you foresaw. I love the Napoleonic era cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, yes, it wasn't a very hard plan to come up with and implement!

      Delete
  6. A great looking game Keith...

    The large British unit looked very imposing...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, we are really enjoying Sharp Practice. The large unit looked scarey but it's firing was only really effective once...once was enough though!

      Delete
  7. Looks like a fun game Keith, SP are a cracking set of rules and love the chit cup. We have always found that you have to hold your never to get into close range before launching a volley or you get suckered into long range firefights. Glad you are enjoying it.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must be on here at exactly the same time Stu, your comment was not there when I went to answer Aly! Yes they seem to be good rules. The two games we have had so far have been dominated by wooded areas and almost al our firing has been at 12" or less because both firer and target are in cover.

      Delete
  8. The command cards are the key in SP2, when to hold them and when to use them, and it’s really the one of the few things you get to choose to use in the game since you can’t control when your leaders activate. Most people I’ve talked to really enjoy SP2 after their 3rd game when they get the hang of it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em Stew...mind you, this game was so long ago now, I can barely remember the rules!

      Delete