Saturday 2 January 2021

Welcome to 2021

Happy New Year to you all! This post is a bit of a mixed bag, a few bits and pieces completed over the last few days, and a few non wargaming pics too.

First up. the last two stands of my unit of Copplestone Bolshevik sailors


Next, its three images of the sailors HMG support group




I picked up these two pack mules from a hobby store just around the the corner from my workplace. They are by a company called Deep Cut I think and are very detailed resin models. The mounted figures are just there as a size comparisons



Regular readers may recall a few weeks back, I had some cattle for use in future Border Reivers games, acquired from Serious Play in the UK, and that Iain mentioned he had a set of 1/48 farm animals by Esci (I think) My friend Andrew then chimed in with a comment that he also had the Esci set. When we met up for the fantasy game earlier this week, I purchased the set from Andrew for a very modest sum - below are the contents - 4 bulls, 8 other cattle, and four each of pigs, sheep, goats. kids, piglets and farm dogs, plus roosters, chickens, turkeys and other birds - pigeons I think.


Here is the first batch of cattle, alongside some of the Serious Play ones and a couple of the Reivers to indicate scale - I think they work very well, and I now have a herd of around 20 cattle .



Thats it for wargaming progress this time. Following are a few Other World photos that may be of interest


My wife and I drove into Auckland on New Years Eve - above and below a couple of views of Auckland waterfront around 8pm


Below is the old Wesleyan mission house, from which the area gets its name - Mission Bay. The building is now a restaurant





Above and below - farewell to AD 2020 - sunset over our back garden around 9pm


And welcome AD 2021 - on Friday 1 Jan, we spent a night away from home at a nearby coastal resort called Castaways - here is the view from our little balcony shortly after arrival...


.... and a bit later on....


....  and a bit later still!


And lastly...home grown strawberries. The first image was taken on 7 November and was one of the first lots picked although definitely not the very first


And this last image was taken yesterday, 1 Jan - we had around the same volume of strawberries from our garden for almost two months - not bad going!


I hope everyone has had a good festive season and that 2021 is a far more palatable year than its predecessor was. I look forward to continuing to share this wonderful hobby with you all!

22 comments:

  1. You ended the year in style and kicked off the new year with an interesting assortment of figures. The Russians are my favorites in this batch. Lovely photos of your environs. Nice strawberries too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, and welcome to the 2021 version of Bydand!

      Delete
  2. Strawberries are good start of new year! :)
    Miniatures look great and it seems your first day in 2021 was quite productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry. I hope you had a good new year too.

      Delete
  3. Excellent backdrop to the sailors. The Pack mules were a nice find.

    Looking forwards to what 2021 brings us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. Yes, the hobby shop is mainly Blood Bowl or similar..normally all I can find of interest there is Citadel paints, so these were a nice bonus. Hopefully the coming year will be an improvement on the on just gone!

      Delete
  4. Some nice new additions Keith...
    The farm animals look good... as do the pack mules... I’m sure I need some for myself 😁

    As to your lovely photos... Just colour me green....😆

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly...I am thinking I might do a return visit and see if they have any more of the pack mules available.....

      Delete
  5. Another lovely unit of Sailors Keith, with the pack mules and cattle being nice additions too. Great to see people in NZ being able to enjoy 'normal' life, which gives us all hope here in the UK I'm sure. The strawberries look great too, though I prefer raspberries;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...I agree about raspberries ..where I grew up in Scotland was the largest soft fruit producing area in the UK (possibly in W Europe actually) so we had easy access to both strawberries and raspberries...and I too preferred the latter. Strangely, we very rarely see rasps in NZ ...maybe the climate doesn't work for them....

      Delete
  6. Great looking figures and oceanviews!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did better than us on New Year’s Eve, Keith...we just had a dinner out, back home by 8:30...her indoors turned in early while I watched Netfix until midnight...heard the fireworks outside and went to bed...a far cry from the beach party and fireworks display in Fiji the previous couple of years!

    I love Castaways. We went there for a wedding some years ago and those cabins are like the Tardis...they look so small from the outside, but are so spacious inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark ... yes we are getting to be a bunch of BoF's aren't we? I was sitting in the garage painting and though the house was on fire from the smell that assaulted my nostrils - turned out to be cordite from all the fireworks...the smoke drifting down our quiet cul de sac looked like there had been a major gunfight in the area!

      Delete
  8. Great work on the figures, and a nice trip away. Good to see they have turned Wesley House into a restaurant. It has had a few iterations over time and I think I have only been inside it once, but it deserves a second life. I'll bet the prices are commensurate with the location and view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence - I cant comment on prices although I assume you will be correct - I did go there once for a work Christmas function about ten years ago but I wasnt paying so no idea of the cost! Its been a restaurant for a long time, but changed owners every few years I think...

      Delete
  9. Very nice Keith... a great start to 2021 and nice to see you are making the most of your freedom. Nice to see some normality on your side of the globe.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu - yes, just hoping we can keep it normal here! It certainly was a good start and will only get better as we have a FtF game of Under Lilly Banners (Great Northern War) planned for this Wednesday!

      Delete
  10. Lovely views and strawberries! The Russian sailors aren't bad either! That's the same set I've got, hard enough plastic I think and they're made by Pegasus hobbies.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain - Pegasus, thats right! I only got them in a plain plastic bag and could not remember the manufacturer... The Copplestone figures are great (as I have said ad nauseum!) - I have just painted up three more Bolshevik infantry in a couple of hours this morning - the mid 20th century uniforms are great too - three or four colours and they are 90% done - no faffing about with lace or turnbacks etc!

      Delete
  11. Happy new year , the sailors are lovely , I do wish copplestone would bring a few more figures out but they have moved on to different projects. Lovely views as well 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt...yes, all the blurb on his site saying Nick Eyre will be distributing his figures so he can get on with designing new figures dies nor seem to have eventuated...a shame because the existing ranges are great and some additions would be very welcome. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete