Saturday 9 February 2019

Royal Navy in 28mm

I am not sure if this Brig is finished yet or if I will do more to it - but I was overcome by a desire to post progress on line, so here are some images, including an Old Glory female pirate to give an idea of scale.....

The wooden decking was copied off the net and printed in colour then cut to shape.

Four small guns were made from thin card and small bits of kebab skewer


The rear decoration is rubber anti slip mat painted black then highlighted with gold.


Following are some images of Work in Progress over the last week.....



 In the end, I decided to use the same layered card technique on the lower hull to give the impression of caulked planking


Inspired by the success of this project but underwhelmed by the size of the ship, I printed off the plans again on A3 paper, then extended the length of the hull a bit, and started work on a Frigate, which will have three masts rather that two. Below is an image of progress on this vessel so far...


This image shows the relative size v's the original plans - quite a bit bigger!


The lady pirate in use again to give an idea of the scale of the frigate. The hull profile has been altered a bit as well and I will cut gun ports along the full length of it so there are maybe twelve per side plus some more on the upper deck.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely work on the brig Keith, and I especially like the way you have done the decks. The yellow and black scheme works very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lawrence - yes, I am quite pleased with how the decks came out too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Keith. I can see that I am going to NEED one of these too, may be a cutter or such like that were used commonly on the Great Lakes and around the Med

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were some reasonably impressive looking ships on the Great Lakes Mark - lots of references on the web - so will be interesting to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A naval arms race...?
    You do know nothing good can come of this...;-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing good will happen to my ego if I am in a competition with Mark and his modelling skills, that's for sure Aly!

      Delete
  6. The brig has come out really well! Looking forward to the frigate now!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Iain - I am quite happy with it but now live in fear of Mark producing a professional level competitor... :)

    ReplyDelete