Friday 5 April 2019

RCW Female Unit

I have had these figures painted and sitting in the depot for over twelve months and finally decided to base them.

Originally, they were purchased from Siberia miniatures in Russia. I bought one of each figure available, just to see what they were like. As you can see, there are obviously two different sculptors and the quality and detail (not to mention SIZE) of the two groups are quite different.

The larger, more buxom figures are all produced as the "Womens Battalion of Death" a historically accurate Russian unit from approximately 1916-1918 - basically part of the Tsarist WW1 army.

The other figures are actually presented as Polish troops of the Bolshevik/Polish War of 1918-1920 - but I have repurposed them as Bolshevik Militiawomen!

My original intention was to purchase additional figures but this has not eventuated so I decided a couple of nights ago to finish these off and get them based.

To make up numbers, I added a left over Hinterland sailor plus the freebie Hinterland dragoon I received 18 months ago when I purchased the female sailors

Anyway, here are the five bases of RCW ladies - I may create another female unit but to be honest, this one plus the five bases of female sailors is probably enough!


Officer and Standard Bearer

Two smaller "Polish" figures and firing "Battalion of Death"

The kneeling figures is the Hinterland dragoon


Hinterland Sailor, "Polish" advancing in greatcoat and "Battalion of Death" at present.

6 comments:

  1. Now that's something you don't see every day! Nice work Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - I have to admit to having a bit of an obsession of trying to get female figures into my armies - these ones have slightly more historical evidence to back them up than most do!

      Delete
  2. Nice work! I agree with Lawrence; quite unusual. The sailor is my favorite in this batch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jonathan - I have a full unit of these ladies - if you go back to my Dec 2017 posts, you can see them in a post there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice odd unit,I liked the commisar a 1960s b/w soviet film supressed until the 1990s where the commisar is a kind of female ,communist,pregnant Clint Eastwood in something approaching a spaghetti western (!) You might like it,I thought it was fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Iain - and thanks for the movie tip - I have just watched Road to Calvary then Trotsky on Netflix - back to back Russian language multi part TV series with English subtitles - but I will search out this film too!

    ReplyDelete