Thursday 18 April 2019

RCW Tachanka - Finally Completed!


This is another part of my RCW project that has been sitting on the painting table for over a year, waiting to be completed.

During my mass buy up in Nov 2017, I obtained one MDF Tachanka and a couple of individual crew from "Warbases" for the grand cost of about seven quid- a pound each for the drivers and four forty odd for the vehicle. If I had not been so tight, I could have paid twelve pounds fifty and got the entire thing, three horses, three crew, the HMG and the cart....

Anyhoo, long story short, I assembled and painted the Tachanka more or less immediately, then it sat forlornly on the painting table for 16 months until Julian donated three horses and a third crewman. This then motivated me to search the lead pile - in my case it is quite minimal, but like all wargamers, it does exist - and located a WW1 era HMG that was originally intended for use by Old Glory Arabs against a European colonial enemy.

I have now finally combined the various constituent parts and bases the completed model - I think it looks pretty good. I may well get a second one but if I do, I will probably just pay the full price and get everything at once!

This is how the model looked after assembly but before painting



And here are various angles of my completed model






And finally, an image of an RCW memorial statue somewhere in the ex Soviet Union




15 comments:

  1. Great stuff Keith. I hope I am not on the recieving end of that thing in about 95 days time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark - I am quite happy with the way they turned out. As to who will attract their attention on the tabletop, we shall have to wait and see! Hope you have a great Easter

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a nifty contraption! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan - quite a nice little MDF kit - its made me consider a few others they also produce...

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite units...and you've done a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - I think they look great too!

      Delete
  5. Lovely work, and I always love a good Tachanka. I have a few of these in 15mm knocking about somewhere I hope I'll get to some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence! Funnily enough, my friend Julian gave me a pack of two FoW Tachankas he got in error - they were listed as 28mm at very low cost by some retailor closing down - but when they turned up, they were smaller than expected! I have one three quarters assembled so maybe I will paint that up next and post on here!

      Delete
    2. They look like nice little models and would be fun to use in a game, as will the 28mm version I'm sure.

      Delete
  6. Excellent. Love this period, and Tachankas are iconic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Nate - I agree - Eureka do a really beautiful version too....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done!

    My freind, Jared, who has run quite a few RCW battles, has a few of these wonderfully improbable contraptions in his collection (15 mm), and I always enjoy seeing them on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment - I agree, the pictures of the actual vehicles make them seem incredibly light weight and intricate - not like a weapon of war at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely looking bit of kit and doesn't look like a lash up at all!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheers Iain - still toying with the idea of adding one or two more of these "AFV's" to my RCW collection!

    ReplyDelete