Wednesday 7 October 2020

The "Hot Trod"

Noun​    Hot Trod (plural hot trods)

1.(obsolete) The legal pursuit of Border Reivers across the English-Scottish border, in order to recover stolen goods.

These two mounted figures come in a pack with a couple of “sleuth – hounds” (Noun - sleuthhound (plural sleuthhounds) A bloodhound similar hound formerly used in Scotland) from Col Bills Reiver Range. The hounds are yet to be painted and shall join their human colleagues at a later point.

 

 
 

Again, you will notice the slightly unconvincing sculpting of the two horse, although the trumpet players is not too bad. That figure does have rather indistinct sculpting around the face where the trumpet connects to the “mouth” but overall, I am happy with the two figures. In case you have not researched the arcane details of the Borderers and their particular local judicial customs, a legal pursuit across the border in either direction had to be announced as such – two of the prescribed methods being to sound a horn and to carry a smouldering piece of peat on a lance tip….


 






 

Also completed are six foot figures by Col Bill – however, I have run out of old 10c coins to base them on, so these will have to wait until I obtain a resupply of this crucial element of my basing technique!

16 comments:

  1. I don't think the horses look that bad Keith. Perhaps they do to you because you went through all the nooks and crannies when you were painting them? Lovely work, and I particularly like the smouldering piece of peat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - maybe I am being to critical? Looking at the pics of the peat, I didn't think I had done a very good job - too much yellow when its should be orange or red...but appreciate your opinion!

      Delete
  2. Two lovely additions to your forces and some interesting histry thrown in as well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve - history courtesy of Wikipedia I think - I just Googled it and did a copy and paste job!

      Delete
  3. Good work on painting these troopers. Your photos make the lancer’s horse look a bit short from nose to tail with the body too compact. That could be an illusion from the photography. As you say, the trumpeter’s horse looks better proportioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan - I think the horse ridden by guy with the lance has an excessively short nose, that my main issue with it!

      Delete
  4. Interesting details from Borderers daily life :) I believe miniatures are OK and after you painted them they pretty much good for a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry - its nice to add in a little new info along with the pictures! I agree, the miniatures will be fine when I get them into battle!

      Delete
  5. Very nice Keith...
    A nice piece of history on the development of the police siren... although from my reading the ‘law’ was just as dodgy as the ‘criminals’
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, yes, that's about the size of it I would say - same as in many countries today I suppose....!

      Delete
  6. Those are some great additions to the collection. Looking forward to the first engagement.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stu...it may either be a while yet OR I may do a solo run through of the rules - the other two guys who bought figures before me have not started painting them yet! The three of us had a trio of Western Gunfighter games last night so will do a post on that later today!

      Delete
  7. Nice work Keith. I have no problem with your work on the horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - shame you were unavailable for JB's last night - in the end Chris had to pull out too so it was only Rick and me - good fun playing cowboys (and gals!)

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking pair of riders and I don't think the horses are that bad, I've been painting some thatare much worse I think!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - I guess I have just been used to Warlord Black Powder or Perry Plastics horses recently, and they are so much nicer!

      Delete