Sunday 11 July 2021

Sunday Fantasy Skirmish Games

 Andrew and I got together today for another couple of games using his home made fantasy skirmish rules and the various tiles he has collected together from a multitude of boxed kick starter games he has invested in over the last few years.

I think I have said previously that I have no background in fantasy/RPG type games - I went straight into historical gaming in my teens and never trod the D&D type path, but I have always liked the look of many of the fantasy figure ranges and even now, with more than enough figures in my small collection to meet the needs of Andrews rules or Frostgrave etc, I am tempted to buy even more of this type of figure, as they are such fun to paint and generally so well sculpted!

I arrived about 1030 and game one commenced around 11 and lasted maybe 90 minutes (another advantage of this type of gaming in  my opinion!). I took A LOT of pictures so you may get a bit bored scrolling through - some were taken to remind me of key elements of the game so I will add some comments to some images and just leave the rest to tell the story. 


The playing table with Andrews beautiful terrain and lovely array of tiles


My first warband, one hero, two sorceresses and nine standard fighters, a couple armed with firearms


Andrews war band


One sorcerer and a hero with magic blue sword


The other group, including the second sorceress






At the end of each turn, if Andrew rolled a double, monsters could randomly appear at one of eighteen possible locations - twelve along the table edge plus six points on the table itself. In addition, whenever a firearm was used, the noise might attract their unwanted attention. These are the first two Beastmen who unhelpfully appeared right in the centre of my baseline!


Two of Andrews fighters sneak around my flank



One of the stranger looking figures was one of Andrews two magic makers..




The previously pictured strange looking magic maker attempted a spell, and rolled a double 1 - a fumble! This allowed me to roll an attack back at him, and he turned himself into a frog!


Archer and pistoleer attempt to hit Andrews second magician


A general melee on my left flank as three of Andrews fighters charge home


Meanwhile, on my right, a lone spearmen tries to hold off the two Beastmen


Another charge from Andrew - one figure came up short and failed to make contact with my sorceress - he is likely to regret his temerity as soon as she figures out the best spell to use on him!


More bloody Beastmen appear!


Andrews surviving sorceress casts a spell


One of Andrews fighters launches an attack on my other sorceress...


....while the Beastmen have killed the gallant spearmen and are now engaged with a female fighter armed with both sword and dagger


At this point, I had killed one of Andrews sorcerers (2 points) plus six fighters (1 point each). On the basis that he had only killed one of my fighters, I also added my achieved objective card (another 2 points)


General view of the table at the end of game one


Game two saw a new team, including nine plastic female Zombie Survivors that I painted years ago but have never had any excuse to put on a table. The hero is the lady in red with the top hat and the other two unarmed ladies to each side of her are my magic makers


My plan was to take up a central defensive position and try to wipe out Andrews force with fire power




In one successful round of automatic gunfire and spell casting, I took out four of Andrews figures, including his blue sworded hero AND one of his magicians - six points PLUS another two for an aim achieved - a pretty good start.....however...


All the noise created by assorted M16 and Uzi gunfire attracted some unwanted attention - once again right behind the rear centre of my positions!


The Beastmen advance


One of Andrews fighters charges but fell short and allowed my figure to blaze away - but to no effect this time!


Andrews remaining sorceress skulking in cover


One of Andrews fighters charges home against my sorceress in green


Beatsmen move against the rear of my position...


....as my ladies turn to face them, guns ready


But the gunfire was ineffective, and the Beastmen close into combat



A confused mix of individual combats ensued


Beastmen attack both Andrews and my figures with equal ferocity


And all my gunfire has awoken THIS bloody Troll - right in the centre of my position - GREAT!


Meanwhile, Andrew has troubles of his own with Beastmen and skeletons appearing in his rear!


Its hard to tell the difference but this is one of Andrews fighters, not one of the Beastmen


Andrews lone fighter takes on a Beastman and six skeletons


These ladies a
have their hands full with two Beastmen each to contend with


The lady in green cast a blinding spell that dissolved the Troll where it stood, before it could do any damage Phew!


Andrews heroic loan swordsman still hanging on


By this stage, I had lost half my force to the bloody Beastmen - I think Andrew only had a single point and that was from firing the first shot of the game and achieving one of his mission cards, not inflicting any loss on me - so I decided to disengage and leg it off the table......


.....leaving one of Andrews figures and a host of monsters in possession of my former position


Skeletons move in on Andrews sorceress



While two of the Beastmen pursue and engage my hero and second sorceress in combat before they reach the table edge - dammit!


The last of Andrews force goes down fighting


The survivors of my band thankfully make it off the table edge - those bleedin' Beastmen killed half my girls!

A really fun day was had, so thanks to Andrew for hosting the day, writing the rules and providing the beautiful scenery to game on, plus the opportunity to use some figures that rarely see the light of day (mind you, isn't that a description that would fit almost all of our collections?!)

Thanks for visiting and I hope you enjoyed the pics and narrative.

25 comments:

  1. Battle report already? Fast work. Photos look good.
    Two fun games - thanks very much.
    So I don't think I've won any of these games yet - at least no-one can say my rules are biased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...that's true Andrew! I think the time Helois was there, she wiped the floor with both of us!

      Delete
  2. I used to love skirmish games, especially Mordheim back in the day, but these days they just don't float my boat anymore. Not having a regular FtF opponent doesn't help, as there are many great rulesets out there. As you say however, the games always look great and are generally fast to play (as in this case). Maybe one day I'll get back to it given I have plenty of rules to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...it's not my go to genre and I don't imagine skirmish is the best level for solo gaming....but as you say, perhaps one day...?

      Delete
  3. That looked like fun, always good to have a break from the serious matter of gaming with some good old fashioned sword and shield encounters.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu, I always enjoy thus type of skirmish...Western Gunfighters too!

      Delete
  4. Nice game! Definately, I’ve enjoyed the pics and narrative! Despite I’m into historical wargame, I played Mordheim and also I interest modern 3d fantasy miniature models (they are really exiting). So probably I’ll collect my fantasy gang (one day) and your AAR is inspiring for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked the report and hope it inspires you to paint that fantasy gang Dmitry!

      Delete
  5. That's a great looking D&D game, Keith! Love the figures and that terrain mat is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, Andrew dies have a vast amount of fantastic home made scenery.

      Delete
  6. I have never played much fantasy but that seems like a fun game and very enjoyable for a change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, yes they are very entertaining and the figures generally lovely sculpts!

      Delete
  7. Fantasy can be a fun afternoon, especially with cool terrain and figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that was exactly how it proved to be for me this time Joe...apart from those #*^*##^* Beastmen!

      Delete
  8. Yes! Looking as great fantasy game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal...it was a great way to spend a winter Sunday.

      Delete
  9. Lovely looking terrain and figures! I started off with d&d and dusted off the same figures to play frostgrave, they just need the basing finished off and I might even post them for a change! Sounds like a splendid way to spend a Sunday!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain...look forward to seeing your newly rebased fantasy figures in the very near future!

      Delete
  10. Kieth,
    I use to play Fantasy Games (Warhammer) back in 1990-92...Dwarfs, Humans, Orcs, Skaven etc- lots of fun. I collected 200 Dwarfs -all individual figures and no two alike- I think I had just about every Dwarf that Citadel ever made. My Mate who I gamed with moved away after he got married to a very nice German lady- we lost touch and I sold all my Fantasy armies much later on- I always thought we'd get back to gaming Fantasy- we never did. Glad you've enjoyed your game with Andrew. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, that must have been quite an army to see...did all your dwarves have individual names?!

      Delete
    2. Kieth,
      Some of the Dwarfs were named- the key characters in the Army.

      Delete
  11. Everyone needs at least one fantasy collection; though one could argue that there’re all fantasy. 😀
    But still some nice games and a fun change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew....I certainly have more than one....as I have a western gunfight collection that is 90% female, not to mention an entire Dark Ages army of Valkyries by Shadowforge, augmented with Eureka female Cataphracts! Some of my friends think I have a bit of a problem😊

      Delete
    2. Well, you’re all sorted out then. 😀
      My one fantasy is Lord of the Rings.

      Delete
    3. Indeed...I even have Hinterland female sailors in my RCW collection and WWII Soviets...although the latter is at least historically possible!

      Delete