Saturday 26 March 2022

Another Batch of "Old Contemptibles" and more scenic views

 As I mentioned in my reply to Rays comments a few hours ago - I have realised over the last couple of days that I do have a few more of my original 25mm figures from days of yore - so tonight I have pulled out as many as I can think of. Somewhere, I am pretty sure, I have Napoleon on foot. I also had him mounted of course, but I think I may have included the figure when I sold off a lot of my original figures many years ago via our local version of eBay - I was surprised by the price I got for them too, as many were from a "complete army" of a lesser known brand that had around 100 infantry and 20 cavalry for something like £14.95 or maybe £19.95 - a bargain, even when I bought them in the late 70's or early 80's. In the mid 90's, I got something like $250 for them, which pleased me greatly and enabled me to invest in an upgrade to Front Rank figures! (I kept the cavalry and they are included below)


My original Murat and ADC - these are as I painted them when I was in my mid teens. There is some obvious wear and tear on them, but they dont look too bad for a fifteen or sixteen year old painter.



The First Chasseurs above - the bugler is from a local sculptor who worked with Mark but sadly passed away at quite a young age, and when he had only completed relatively few sculpts



The Fifth Chasseurs - again, the two carbine armed figures are from the NZ made range


The first of my "bargain army" cavalry - the Dutch Lancers of the Guard - the guidon bearer is Minifigs


The 7th Cuirassiers - my second cheapo cavalry unit, again with a couple of Minifigs additions as the original units were only eight figures strong


The First Dragoons - mainly Minifigs but with a smattering of the local figures again


A Minifigs caisson


Minifigs Foot artillery and gun



A slight change - this is a Hinchcliffe figure - he came in a pack of three and there was a British equivalent. I am pretty sure the two packs were purchased on a trip to London, from the famous Hamleys toy store


Finally, some more figures that saw the light of day - and some paint - thanks to another gaming project Julian and I did. This time, it was the Scottish Wars of Independence and I bulked out the Scots mounted arm with some Minifigs Normans and Teutonic Knights that I had possessed for twenty years at the time but had never done anything with, including painting them!


I "made up" the heraldry here and only realised too late that green wasn't a heraldic colour in the British Isles - I just left them though!


These two are Normans


A Teutonic knight, flanked by two Normans


And finally, one Norman, flanked on each side by a pair of Teutonic Knights. I think these are all genuine coats of arms of the Scottish nobility - 90% sure the extreme right is Hay and the extreme left is Campbell. I know the black Y on white is a real one too - just cant remember what!



Day three of out trip to New Plymouth saw as back at the base of Mt Egmont/Taranaki, although minus the mist this time. The walks were pleasant but with nothing of particular note and I didn't take any photos


The road to and from the visitor centre - bocage anyone?!


A few miles down the road back to New Plymouth was a signpost for Tupare - on a whim, we turned down the road, and we were glad we had done!


Tupare is a regional park open every day of the year at no charge. Its the grounds of what was the private house of a prominent local family in the 1930's-1960's - Russell and Mary Matthews


Russell was a civil engineer and ran his own company, mainly building roads for the local council. In the winter season, his road crews were employed cheaply in the construction of the house and surrounding gardens


A river flows at the end of the "garden" 



The house viewed from near the river



The house was designed by James Chapman-Taylor, famous for his English cottage style. The Matthews' had seen the style on their honeymoon in Europe and America - which - considering this was in the early 30's at the time of the Great Depression, indicates they were a pretty wealthy family


There are a lot of tar macadam paths, which were a real novelty at the time, and were made possible by Russells civil engineering skills and his access to the equipment and materials being used in road construction at the time.








After lunch at a very nice local cafe, where I had paella for the first time in many years, we headed up a long, narrow country road for our afternoon wander. Once again, although the walk was fine, it was really just more of the same bush, and I saw nothing interesting enough to photograph. The initial route was across about 2km of farmers fields and the view over the farmland back to the west coast I thought was worth a piccy!


That evening, we decided to walk to a restaurant on the main drag, Devon Street, It was 421 and Ruth said it was about 2,5 km - no problem. We set off and passed about thirty eateries en route to 421 Devon Street. When we arrived after about forty minutes walk, there was no sign of a restaurant

Now, the thing about Devon Street is - that's not its full name. It is either Devon Street East, or....Devon Street West. And of course, once Ruth checked her phone, she found we should have been on Devon Street West! We headed back but by the time we got to the hotel, I needed a quick "comfort stop" and we decided we had walked enough and took the car. Upon arrival at the intended destination, we both agreed it looked pretty unprepossessing, so we decided not to eat there. Instead we went to very nice Italian restaurant, Porto Fino, which was literally right next door to the hotel we were staying in! Still, at least we had a good appetite for scallopini ai fungi, a couple of nice glasses of Chianti and rounded off with a shared tiramisu


A nice old building we passed on our 5km walk to the restaurant next door. I assume it will look quite familiar to our N American and Australian readers, but a bit of a novelty to those of you in the UK - and I mean the architectural style, not the blue sky!

22 comments:

  1. Those figures look superb and the views are amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on both counts Scotty...glad you liked them!

      Delete
  2. Lovely minis sir and fantastic trip!
    What a beautiful weather too :-))!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. We were lucky with the weather,cars on the Monday we returned to Auckland there was an absolute deluge of rain and literally thousands of lightning strikes!

      Delete
  3. Keith, you continue your interesting, figure archaeological dig. Amazing what have held o to since your teens. My early figures are all long gone. Mine were all all plastic Airfix. I did not discover metals until much later.

    You are having a grand time on your travels. Possibility of traveling is looking up, up north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon, the vast majority of my early stuff was plastic too, and very limited as we only really had Airfix figures....for Napoleonics, that didn't provide a huge range to choose from! A friend from those times still in Scotland dropped down to 15mm for the usual reasons and is still collecting and painting in that scale I believe.

      As for trips, people here are even starting to venture overseas, although mainly only to our Pacific Island neighbours such as Rarotonga. Hope you get in some travel in the northern summer!

      Delete
  4. It is quite refreshing to look back at our painting styles back in the 70's and 80's. Humbrol was the paint of choice and because there was a good six or seven hours between coats figures used to take an age to do, with no thought given to shading. All we used to focus on was neatness I suppose, and yours are terrific examples of that. Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lawrence, I could accept your compliment, but apart from Murat and his mate, these were painted more recently...probably about twenty years ago! Sometimes I think styles have gone too far the other way and shading is overdone. Often my figures seem better painted in the images than they do to the naked eye...and that's because of the natural highlights and shadows from the lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More splendid old toys Keith…
    One of the things I regret getting rid of were my old medievals…
    I had a bunch of Lamming Miniatures painted up to use with a set of rules called Retinue…

    Beautiful scenery as ever…
    When I visited many years ago I was really taken by the quirky nature of a lot of the buildings in New Zealand.
    It’s like someone has merged 1950’s America with the Home Counties and then add some local styling…
    The blue sky is still a bit of a novelty…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly! There isnt much I regret getting rid of to be honest - my worry is reading all these posts by people who are rationalising their collections and getting rid of things NOW! I literally have armies that have never been on the table - my partially build British Cplonial force for 1835-1845 for example - intended for the First Afghan War and possibly the Sikh War (most of the figures are from the Old Glory Sikh War range), or my 15mm "War on Terror" forces..... But notwithstanding this, I really dont want to get rid of ANY of my current stash of figures.

      I generally feel our late 19th century architecture is very like the Old West of S Africa (as is Australia's) and then for the more pompous public stone buildings of the Edwardian era, its very English looking. Hence, for example, we can easily use the Perry plastic N American house as an NZ building in the Maori Wars era.

      More blue sky this weekend although its certainly well into autumn as, daytime max temp today is 16C and there is a distinct chill in the air before 10am. Probably about the same as spring in England at the moment!

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking figures Keith, I’m afraid I don’t really get rid of stuff although I had a long hiatus in collecting. When you showed the mountain picture I thought you were going to climb it And give us the view form the top ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - I pretty much agree with your philosophy! As for Mt Egmont/Taranaki - it wasnt on my wifes agenda and not something to be done on the spur of the moment - the sign at the visitor centre indicated a round trip of at least eight hours - I think thats probably a bit much for us these days!

      Delete
  8. Those Minifigs age really well, I reckon. Can't beat a more classic toy soldier look. I don't expect that the caricature-like figures/poses of many of today's figures will date nearly so well (a bit like those chasseurs with carbines who look like gorillas to me—apologies if that offends). Excellent painting for a young fella too. You clearly demonstrated your talent early on.
    I trust that you went for a bevy or three in the pub that you photographed?!!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, and welcome back...you have been very quiet for quite some time! I certainly could have used a drink or two by the time I took that picture on our return trek, however my wife isn't much of a pub person anymore....she liked them well enough when we met in the UK thirty five years ago, but sadly not now...I had to wait a bit longer for the drink at the Italian restaurant!

      Delete
  9. Those are classic figures, Keith. I can't recall the make, but when I was growing up in Hawaii I did manage to get a few in about 20mm scale - to make the Airfix 1/72nd figs I had. Great looking scenery and weather you are enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean...I had a VERY few ie half a dozen Les Higgins 20mm figures that kind of matched up with the 1/72 Airfix although even those figures were bulky when compared with their plastic brethren.

      Delete
  10. The only things that I still have from my late teen years is my Eagle Scout badge, my high school letterman jacket, and herpes.
    (OK, only two of those things). 😀
    I didn’t start miniature gaming till my 30s.

    Continuing with the great vacation pics. That is one good trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you finally got rid of the high school letterman jacket then Stew - that must be why your wife looked so happy in your last post :)
      Its odd (to me) to come across someone who started playing with toy soldiers as an adult. Its hard enough to explain a lifelong obsession with them when it started as a 5 year old - starting in your thirties must make explaining it even harder. I mean, before that, you must have been relatively normal??! (OK I know you are a psychiatrist or similar, so you have probably never been 100% normal, but you know what I mean....!)
      At least tramping around the great outdoors is a relatively acceptable pass time to most people, even though a lot of them would never consider doing it themselves - a bit like cycling or golf!

      Delete
  11. Great to see those 'old' figures Keith and of course the ever stunning scenery from your trips. I could never afford metal figures so stuck to the limited choice from Airfix back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - I may be a bit older than you - so can remember Minifigs at 8p each foot figure - even so, the order was generally 10-20 figures at a time, with a postal order to pay! A couple of friends had Saturday jobs in Wm Low (Scottish supermarket chain) and they had the money for entire 15mm armies in their teens - but then left school, started working, and drinking - and that was the end of wargaming for about a decade (same with me really!)

      Delete
  12. Fantastic looking figures they look great, you look like you have been on the quite the adventure.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stu - glad you like the "oldies"! I dont know if I would describe New Plymouth as an adventure, but was a great break and we had a lot of enjoyable times!

      Delete