Monday 28 March 2022

Pick n Mix

 Tonight its back to present day figures as I think I have exhausted my pool of forty year old lead. 

First up is a rather nice donation to the 20mm WWII cause from Andrew, in the shape of a ready made and pre coloured 1/72 model of a Wespe self propelled gun, or to give it its correct Wehrmacht title: the le.F.H.18/2 auf. Fgst.Pz.Kpfw.II (Sf) (Sd.Kfz.124)....a bit of a mouthful, I am sure you will agree - I will continue to call it a Wespe I think!



Next, I finally got around to finishing of the 3D printed 28mm WWII figures I bought a few months back


Hopefully nobody is offended or upset by their nationality


Tank crew member with LMG


NCO with field glasses - I received two versions of this figure - I think because one of them was less than perfect (but perfectly useable for wargaming purposes


Two views of a prone sniper



Unarmed but marching confidently forwards


Kneeling with Mosin - Nagant rifle


Kneeling officer with field glasses


Female casualty being evacuated by a male colleague


Following are the last of my holiday snaps from our trip a fortnight ago now. We only had two or three hours on the Friday morning before the four hour drive home, so headed to the local city park, Pukekura.


First sight on entering from where we parked was this artificially created waterfall


A bit further on, we came across this old waterwheel that is still in operation



I pressed a button to activate the fountain - but its on a fifty MINUTE cycle! We hung around for a few minutes but nothing very dramatic had occurred




Views up and down the central lake


Overall, Pukekura Park covers 52ha (128 acres) right in the heart of the city and is one of New Zealand's premier botanical gardens.

After about an hour we repaired to a local cafe, had a cooked breakfast and a coffee and then headed to the last stop before hitting the road - a return visit to Te Henui cemetery


Without much effort, I managed to locate the "military" section of the cemetery, and wondered around taking a few shots as my wife perused random gravestones of the former residents of New Plymouth




Once again, more evidence of the service performed here by regiments of the British Army during the Victorian period of colonisation and European settlement




The following regiments served in New Zealand during the period;

12 East Suffolk 1860 - 67
14 Buckinghamshire 1860 - 66
18 Royal Irish 1863 - 70
40 2nd Somersetshire 1860 - 66
43 Momouthshire Light Infantry 1863 - 66
50 Queens Own 1863 - 67
57 West Middlesex 1861 - 67
58 Rutlandshire 1845 - 1858
65 Yorkshire West Riding 1846 - 1865
68 Durham Light Infantry 1864 - 66
70 Surrey 1861-66
80 South Staffordshire 1840-45
96 Foot 1841-45
99 Lanarkshire 1844 - 47
Royal Artillery 1845 - 70
Royal Navy 1845 - 70
Royal Marines 1845 - 70


The cemetery is very well laid out, like a Commonwealth War Graves site, but on a smaller scale. Most graves are of ex servicemen ie they served in WWI but died in 1962 aged 80 etc


But not all the stones are of men who lived their full span of years



That's our lot and the last of the New Plymouth pics. The good news is that we are off to Queenstown, the self proclaimed jewel in New Zealand's tourist crown, a very picturesque town in the S Island, at the beginning of May - so only about six weeks and I will have another five days worth of images to share with you, you lucky people!

30 comments:

  1. Those 3d printed models are superb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty and yes, I agree, they are great figures!

      Delete
  2. Both the Wespe (nice camo scheme) and the infantry look great and as always some great photos from your trip. The sky always looks a really intense blue on my screen, which is lovely IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...hopefully you get some nice blue skies there in the UK too this year...I see from your blog, amongst others, that you are having a nice spring at present, so that's a good start!

      Delete
  3. Agree, these models are really great!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michal, I have been very impressed by these figures.

      Delete
  4. I call it a "Wespe" too! Amazing how quickly 3D printing is taking off. Something to consider adding into the GWS for this year.

    Always enjoy your scenics even when it shows a somber cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. Yes, it would be interesting to know how many have invested in a printer.when I have searched online for other 3D figures, 90% of the time, what I find is STL files. Someone must be using them all! I have seen a number of bloggers with some fantastic 3D printed stuff, particularly vehicles. If I was primarily a twentieth century gamer, I might be tempted to get a printer myself!

      Delete
  5. The Wespe and the figures look great. I can still remember building a 20mm Matchbox Wespe when I was 10 or so. I did briefly think about purchasing a 3D printer myself, but after seeing a friend of mine's pushed to the corner of his hobby room after two months' of sporadic output I thought better of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. I think I had the Matchbox Wespe too - I certainly had several of their Puma's! It was quite exciting when they first appeared, doing a few more vehicles that Airfix didnt do!

      Re 3D printers - my ultimate plan would be to have a partnership with a couple of interested gaming mates and split the cost - I would like to try to get Mark interested as he has the IT smarts and interest in software to run the thing successfully! I think its likely to be the way of the future for a lot of gamers - possibly wont ever replace figure manufacturers completely but the technology can only get simpler, cheaper and better ... because that's what it does! Maybe I need to be looking for a good second hand printer....?

      Delete
  6. Nice looking figures and some nice scenic pics. 😀
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. I figured it was about time I got the Russian girls finished off.

      Delete
  7. Nice looking 3D Soviets - and pre-painted Wespe, Keith. Great looking scenes with war memorials too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean. I would like to give some other 3D figures a try but have found it hard to find another supplier at reasonable price. I will keep looking though!

      Delete
  8. I like the new Soviets. Will add some fun character to your collection. If they were more warmly attired to fit my own collection, I might be inclined to ask where they were from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai - they are from a place in France - good price too, I thought E1.90 each. This is the full range at this stage though - no winter versions so far!

      Delete
  9. Nice figures Keith and glad you are getting your travels in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - I WILL get to the promised images of the local hill walk - I would not be so presumptuous as to describe them as mountains, particularly not in comparison to the Lake District - but they did offer a different perspective from our usual bush walks!

      Delete
  10. I do like the 3d prints, they're great looking figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray - I agree - I was very pleasantly surprised! There are so many others out there but few seem to be available in the finished state - they are mostly the STL files that are for sale :(

      Delete
  11. Very nice young ( 3d printed ) ladies…
    I’ve always liked the Wespe…Its lovely little vehicle… with a big German name 😁

    Thank you for more enjoyable holiday pictures…
    This holiday thing looks fun… I must try it soon…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on all counts Aly! Holidays are a GREAT idea - we didnt have any for about fifteen years - ah, the benefits of a single income and three kids eh? - but we are certainly finding out what we were missing out on for all those years! Highly recommend you give it a go too :)

      Delete
  12. Really good looking vehicles you've got there.
    I'm a little envious of your holiday as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, as I mentioned to Aly, I do recommend holidays to everyone!

      Delete
  13. Great looking Wespe,I also had the matchbox version, lovely looking Soviets, nice holiday snaps too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, although as you will see below, we are all mistaken as to the vehicle! Oddly enough, when I was checking what sort of SPG it was, I thought it looked like a 38t chassis....but I had the Marder in my mind as what turns out to be a Hetzer! Bloody Germans, they needed a bit more standardisation!

      Delete
  14. I feel I need to correct you & the various other gentleman (my privilege as having donated the thing) - NOT a Wespe but a Marder III. The Wespe was a 105mm on a PzII chassis (yes, Matchbox did one), this is a 75mm on a 38t chassis. Carry On!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  15. Bloody hell, I am getting sick of auto correct changing my comments! Thanks for the info Andrew...refer to my answer to Iain above! NOW, I am left to wonder if half my readers also spotted this misidentification of the vehicle and just didn't let me know.....?? 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I clearly wasn't paying enough attention and the mention of the wespe,clearly brought on waves of nostalgia!
      Best Iain

      Delete