Sunday 6 March 2022

Saturday Drinks, Sunday Walk and Some Skeletons

 Yesterday afternoon we popped around the corner to some friends to sample a pair of very pleasant Gins, along with a variety of different mixers. Arrived about three and got home around eight thirty I believe - I was somewhat less than compos mentis, and fell asleep on the couch for a couple of hours before wakening around eleven and taking the dog for a very short walk!

All good again today though and after a nice family breakfast at a local cafe with our son and daughter, my good lady and I drove an hour south to take a walk along the banks of the Waikato River as it runs from the Hamilton Gardens north into the CBD. This is only a small portion of the entire walk, which actually commences at Ngaruawahia to the north of Hamilton and takes roughly five hours in each direction - we both agreed that was somewhat excessive - perhaps we will do it another day! We did about 5km each way and the walk took us around 90 minutes - very pleasant.


This was the "flash" gin - the other was good ol' Gordons


Start of the walk in the Hamilton Gardens.

Hamilton Gardens is a public garden park in the south of Hamilton owned and managed by Hamilton City Council in New Zealand. The 54-hectare park is based on the banks of the Waikato River and includes enclosed gardens, open lawns, a lake, a nursery, a convention centre and the Hamilton East Cemetery




One of the several bridges spanning the Waikato, which is the longest river in New Zealand and was navigable as far up as Hamilton back in the 19th century. 

Victoria Bridge (originally known as the Hamilton Traffic Bridge and later also as The Bridge Street Bridge) is a steel arch bridge in Hamilton, New Zealand. The bridge has a Category I heritage protection.

The bridge has a main arch of 340 ft (100 m) and 4 land spans. Its total length is 500 ft (150 m). The road is 18 ft (5.5 m) wide and the footpath 4.5 ft (1.4 m). It cost £25,500, equivalent to over $4m in 2017 It replaced the 1879 timber Union Bridge.

In 1929 stone steps were built beside the western end of the bridge to link to Ferry Bank.



The view from Victoria Bridge upstream to the next bridge


Sign showing the walk we did


A eucalyptus tree in the Hamilton Gardens


First half of the completed skeletons including the leader to whom I added a cloak made from tissue soaked in watered down PVA - it was a bit of a bugger to paint "in situ" but I got it done in the end.


The Chinese symbol on the shield hopefully means Death!







That's all for today - lots more nearing completion on the painting desk so expect a couple more posts later this week.

32 comments:

  1. Nice looking refreshments and walk, Keith. I don't think I've had gin before. Need to give it a try someday. Great looking skeletons and sashimono too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean - Gin seems to be very trendy here at the moment - of course, its been around for hundreds of years and was once a scourge of the working classes - and known as "Mothers Ruin"! The skeletons have come up quite nicely I think!

      Delete
  2. Really lovely Skeletons. I never know how to painting bones. Black magic for me :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a very nice area for a walk for sure. Gin has been very popular over here for around 5 years now, maybe more. Not a taste I enjoy if I'm honest, but then I've never been a big fan of alcoholic drinks.

    Great work on the skeletons and every time I see them, I immediately think of Jason and the Argonauts:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, it was a nice easy walk for a change! I think I will do the next lot of skeletons with a middle eastern flavour !

      Delete
  4. Some great views on your walk. Those Skeletons also look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, it was a nice, easy walk but still plenty to Se.

      Delete
  5. 10km in 90 minutes is a decent pace Keith. Lovely park.

    Now those skeletons…….Jason and the Argonauts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my wife doesn't dawdle! I think I will end up with far too many skeletons but they are a nice change although putting them together is a bit of a pain!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a very enjoyable weekend for you including some productive time at the painting desk. Spring is approaching slowly here and your scenic adventures helped make it through the long winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, yes, a good weekend all round and I am glad my summer wandering have sustained you through your snow covered months!

      Delete
  7. Nice looking River walk. As for skeletons the only problem is you normally need loads and loads of them 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Cheers Matt, well in that case I probably have thing covered, as I will end up with about fifty of the under nourished warriors!

      Delete
  8. Sipping good gin (& tonic), enjoying a good (sensible) walk, and doing a dash of painting: a fine weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was Ed although I possibly "sipped" a bit too much gin!

      Delete
  9. Love the Skeletons; the cloak for the leader was worth the work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Peter - pleased you like them!

      Delete
  10. The pictures look like it was a wonderful walk. The skeletons look very deadly your projected numbers sounds like they will be a major force on the table good work! The pictographs is a nice idea...can the games set with all the recent eastern themed models be long in coming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe - it was a pleasant day out for sure! Yes, I think there may end up being a few too many skellies!

      Delete
  11. Nice walk, good looking skeletons, what make are they?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain - they are Warlord technically but I believe are rebadged Wargames factory figures. A bit fiddly to assemble, they have separate head, torso, legs, arms and feet (!) It connecting the feet to the legs that is the biggest pain. I also have a box of Wargames Atlantic skeletons inbound from Caliver, so will be able to do a comparison when they arrive.

      Delete
    2. Sheesh, why do you need more??!!

      Delete
    3. I dont think I do really - and due to a cock up at the Caliver end, I am actually getting TWO lots - one will be RTS unopened as soon as it arrives!

      Delete
    4. Hah, I would take them off your hands if I didn't already have many, many spares.

      Delete
    5. Hah, I would take them off your hands if I didn't already have many, many spares.

      Delete
  12. Very nice work on the skeletons Keith. My parents live in Cambridge so I always enjoy my trips to the big smoke of Hamilton. The themed gardens are very impressive and well worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - we did not visit the gardens per se this time but I am sure we have done so quite some time ago - probably due another look sometime soon!

      Delete
  13. Very nice! That’s a lovely looking destination and those skellies are a fine bunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai - a good weekend to be fair - a few bevvies, a nice easy walk and a bit of painting desk progress - I am hoping this is what my retirement will be like when I eventually get there - T minus five years, five months and counting.....!

      Delete
  14. Having pictures of strong alcohol and then walking skeletons could make a good PSA on its dangers. Lol. 😀

    (Not that I don’t have a drink every now and then😀).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I guess so Stew - doubt it would work thought - we seem to have managed to scare and price people off smoking, but alcohol is a different thing entirely!

      Delete