Thursday 24 March 2022

Very Old Friends....and Some New...Plus More Holiday Images

 I have commented a couple of times recently on other blogs regarding the charms or otherwise of figures from 40+ years ago. One of these blogs had a number of recently painted Mnifigs 25mm SYW grenadiers - and I suddenly remembered that in some dusty corner of the barracks, amongst my long neglected FIW collection, I, too, had some examples of figures from my extreme youth - lets say circa 1978!

Many years ago, Julian and I decided to do a FIW campaign using the Canadian Wargames Group Habitants and Highlanders rule set and map. This was the only campaign I have ever participated in and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Over the course of a couple of months of weekly encounters, we fought out the whole six-seven year period of the campaign.

But times were tough - I only had very limited financial resources, and to cut down on costs, I pulled out some ancient figures I had bought in my mid teens with a view to "doing" the Jacobite Rebellion. Some of these were Minifigs and others were from a rather basic, specific '45 range I discovered at a wargames show in either Edinburgh or Glasgow back in the late 70's.

These were dragged out of storage, repainted, rebased to suit the Canadian rules - 12 figures per btn on 4 bases of three figures - very old school! - and I had three battalions to get started with. Around the same time, fortuitously, our local wargaming shop, run by Mark of 1866 and all That fame, had a deal on the FIW Front Rank range - figures were $1 each instead of the usual $1.30...something like that. A small investment was made and another half dozen battalions worth of figures purchased - and that was basically all that was required for us to refight the entire FIW campaign - I wish things were still that simple!

Anyhoo, here are the figures. I cant remember the name of the "other" brand - they are all the figures, bar the grenadiers, of the 40th and 45th regiments. All of the 15th are Minifigs, as you will doubtless be able to tell. If anyone recognises the other brand, I would be interested to know.


The 15th Foot, all Minifigs, grenadiers below



The 40th Foot, only the grenadiers (below) are Minifigs


OK - the drummer and officer are Minifigs too!



The 45th Foot, ditto


And of course, we cannot forget the gunners - they get everywhere (geddit!)




Rounding off the toys tonight is the second Armourfast Achilles 17lb self propelled anti tank gun, with crew from Airfix



All four vehicles, decaled up as part of the 11th Armoured Division - the tanks being the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, as Forfar is a town not a million miles from where I lived at Montrose (indeed, the county, now called Angus, was, a hundred years ago, called Forfarshire!)


Now, day two of our recent holiday


Walk one of the day was around the rather lovely Lake Mangamahoe, about twenty minutes drive inland from New Plymouth












After a very nice walk with some stunning views, we returned to town and followed the course of a local waterway as it meandered through the heart of the city.


Some interesting "warlike" history if you are interested to read it!


Along the way, one of the side routes took us into the historic Te Henui cemetery.


I found a number of interesting, military related gravestones



The stones below simply had a name and service number. As they were adjacent to the above, I assume they were all soldiers of the 43rd Regiment



Some sad stories are reflected in the notations on the graves





Its hard to believe from these views that we were in the heart of the city and at one point walked under a four lane highway and railway tracks


Some of the more moderns houses along the banks of the small river,



Next, we drove about half an hour south to take a look at a historic lighthouse at Cape Egmont



Unfortunately, the lighthouse seems to be currently undergoing repairs and this was about as close as we could get to it!


On the way back to the main road, I stopped to take some images of the very strange looking farmland, which seemed to be a mass of giant molehills - I have no idea what has caused this odd looking phenomena!




Halfway back to New Plymouth we did our fourth walk of the day along the banks of the aptly name (if unusually spelled) Stony River.




This is a ford - so obviously, the river can be quite a bit higher than it was the day we visited!


Finally, for dinner, we went to a lovely vineyard tapas restaurant at Okurukuru on the coast south of New Plymouth, and enjoyed some beautiful food accompanied by a glass of the locally produced red, whilst overlooking the stunning view of the Tasman Sea, Thanks to Covid fears (I assume) and the fact it was the middle of the week, we had the place virtually to ourselves - there were two other couples out on the balcony area that would easily have seated thirty or forty people.






A great end to another wonderful day!

30 comments:

  1. Great to see old minis on display. Have a few hidden away in my own collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty - these are probably the oldest figures still in my possession, although I do have a couple of French Napoleonic personalities (Napoleon, of course, plus Murat I think) somewhere. They were bought when I was in my mid teens and as I will be 60 in August...that's a bloody long tine ago! The infantry figures were probably 10p each or something like that.....

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I have some minis from 1974 kicking around, though more varied than your lot. Might be worth a look.
    Good little collection for the time period, yours.
    Your party is quite dedicated on holidays, four or more separate hikes is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go hunting Joe...it would be interesting to see what you still have from all those years ago! The hiking was the main reason we went to this particular area, so we tried to fit in as much as possible.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic Lake photos Kieth - thanks for posting. Do like the 1970s MINIFIGS - they certainly are splendidly painted- well done there. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, I am pleased you like both the scenery and the old figures!

      Delete
  4. Good looking lace wars figures ,from whatever vintage! Nice British armour too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. A long forgotten collection found!

    As expected, another round of stunning scenery. Beautiful country and an envy-producing pleasure to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon. The FIW collection have not seen the light of day for quite some time....one of those periods we played incessantly for a short time...and then moved on to something else. Glad you like the holiday pics too.

      Delete
  6. Great looking classic figures, Keith. The brushword on the grenadier mitres are especially nice. Lovely scenes as always - the headstones are very impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Dean. Originally, I had some horse grenadiers....the paint work on their mitres was great, even if I do say so myself! No idea what happened to them though. If you liked the cemetery images, wait....there are more to come!

      Delete
  7. I love the elegant simplicity of these early sculpts and your painting style reminded me of my own all those years ago. I only have a few fantasy figures left and must dig them out for a Blog post.

    As always the photos of your trips are fantastic to see. Luckily we are blessed with unusually warm and sunny Spring weather here at present:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - I have to be honest that I prefer the detail on newer figures but Minifigs are definitely my favourite 25mm from this era. Pleased you are enjoying the abundance of images from Taranaki and sounds like some nice weather in the UK currently - I saw that in Matts recent pics from the Lake District

      Delete
  8. Nice to see classics painted up nicely there. Old or not, I think they are still good for gaming. I miss the days of "campaigns" and extra long Dungeons and Dragons sessions.

    Great to see yet more of your adventures in such beautiful landscapes. That lake is gobsmacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai - I think I have said all I can about the Minifigs! The lake was very pretty to be sure - must have been last Weds we were there - seems like a month ago!

      Delete
  9. Minifigs really had a charm of their own, and it's just a pity they are noticeably smaller than most modern brands. That advancing pose is one of their standards and I have spent many hours cleaning the flash between muskets and chests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence! Yes I always like Minifigs the most - but to be fair, I had very little exposure to any other brands back in the 70's - a few Hinchcliffe - which I really didnt like - skinny and a lot of the detail was "scribed" on eg lines on the body as cross belts rather than the belts actually being sculpted on.....Barry has a large army of Napoleonic Bavarians still in use composed of Minifigs troops!

      Delete
  10. As teens (similar vintage to you Keith) our SYW armies were made up of Minifigs 25mm, so it’s very nostalgic seeing those.

    By the way, I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Bamber Gascoigne’s grave! Ancestor of the great man?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a teen, resources were even tighter - to be fair, from about 17.5 onwards, most of it went into alcohol consumption until I was about 22! I only ever had a limited number of metal figures back then.
      Yes the name struck me too - obviously our American friends wont know who he was, but I remember him on University Challenge - and Mike Yarwood, Rory Bremner etc imitating his "Your starter for ten...." catch phrase! They are two such distinct names, it would seem highly improbable that there was not some kind of family connection!

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, I had a similar diversion of finances at the same sort of age.

      Delete
    3. I would imagine most of us did - in the UK at any event!

      Delete
  11. Love to see the charming old minifigs. The only survivors of my collection from those days are an Old Guard band and a French command stand (Napoleon's HQ vignette)--15mm in my case (modest means of high school and then college aged gamers meant smaller scale). Thanks for the showing. Lovely travelogue snaps, as usual. It's good to be reminded of things that abide and are good with so much awfulness on display elsewhere in the world right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, it's my pleasure to charm you with both old figures and New Zealand scenery! I had a reasonable number of 15mm ECW Minifigs...you know, the ones where even the Roundhead pikemen had the three barred English pot helmets! I sold them all to someone here in NZ about twenty five years ago.

      Delete
  12. Those are some seriously old miniatures and I’m surprised that you were able to hold onto them for so long. Looks like they got some love.

    Beautiful pics of the land. I hope when I’m sixty that I’ll be able to jaunt about with the wife like you do. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Stew. I now regret some of the early figures I sold off to finance new ones. Not all of them, as I did have some truly poor quality, cheap figures...but I probably had a battalions worth of early Minifigs that it would be nice to still have.

    I am pleased you are not bored yet with the plethora of holiday images. The trick to having free time is adult children....so looking at son number three, I would think your time is about eighteen years in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Minifigs do have an old school charm about them don't they. The grenadier caos are particularly impressive Keith.
    There's something morbidly pleasing about the gravestones and others like them. As a wargamer and history buff you can feel both pride and empathy forctheir sacrifice all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray - I have realised that there are a few more 40+ year old figures around - so I going to drag them out for a photo shoot - most have been painted or repainted within the last 25 years however. I also have more cemetery pictures!

      Delete
  15. Lovely classic old toys Keith…
    The grenadiers are particularly nice…
    I think the other figures look like Warrior Miniatures… and like Minifigs still available today…
    The British armour looks the business… as does the glorious scenery… what a beautiful country you live in….
    I quite like a wander through a graveyard… you tend to pick up little snippets of social history that don’t make their way into the big histories….

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - funny you say Warrior Miniatures - that was the name I had in the back of my mind. I certainly had one of their French Napoleonic "complete" armies, but the figures were truly awful - and you can see them in the gallery on their site today(I just checked) I know I bought two different "complete" armies and I think the Lancers and Cuirassiers are from the other one - their infantry was also significantly better than the Warrior version. Looking at the Redcoats on the Warrior site - it could be these figures, the poses are similar - although the standard bearer is definitely different - and the Jacobites (which I no longer have) were not the same as the ones shown I dont think....

      Delete