Sunday 26 June 2022

Making Progress on Several Fronts

 Its a real mixture of different bits and pieces today. including quite a bit of 1/72 plastic kit construction


First up was the Zvezda Zis 3 anti tank gun


Not a particularly difficult kit but I still managed to create a few difficulties for myself during assembly!


I used the precast plastic base the kit comes with because there are holes to take pegs in the feet of the gun crew, plus the guns wheel and ends of the trails, which will make the end result more robust for gaming purposes.


It did not take too long to paint up the gun and three crew members




Next, I put together one of the four HaT Pak 36 AT guns. These unfortunately are the very rubbery type of plastic also used on their 1/72 figures


Assembled gun and the four crew


The gun with three Minairons HMG crew for a scale comparison - they match up pretty well


I did some minor "conversion" work by hacking off the peak of the cap and trimming the shorts worn by two of the four crew, so I could paint all four in long trousers


I think the caps sans peak look quite convincing as the typical Spanish fore and aft field cap.




And finally in my flurry of kit construction, I have completed one of the three horse drawn supply wagons, again by HaT but happily this time in "proper" hard, kit-appropriate, plastic!


Another nice simple kit to assemble - only took me about twenty minutes I guess


I have not painted this one yet...


Last but certainly not least are the five dismounted armoured car crew members from Siberia Miniatures, alongside a resin armoured car from Old Glory


The crew as a group, followed by one individual pic of each below






A productive couple of days I feel and I still have Sunday evening and then all day tomorrow to crack on and get a bit more work done. Thanks for checking out my post!

26 comments:

  1. A lot great looking miniatures sir!
    Warm regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress, especially the crew for the armoured car

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty, ..... not sure what practical use they will be, but they are nice figures - maybe they will turn up in a Pulp scenario at some point?!

      Delete
  3. You’ve been a busy boy - with great results. Love all the miniatures but the Austin armoured car is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - makes all the effort worthwhile when your favourite is a vehicle, I painted three or four years ago JBM :) !!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a good session. Thing that gets me about some of the early armoured cars is how high they were - they always look out of scale with the figures. On the other hands, they look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob....it's particularly odd in this situation, as Old Glory are genuine 25mm whereas the figures are extra Margery 28's....probably closer to 30mm if the truth be told!

      Delete
  5. Nice to see the Butterfly effect taking in hold in full Keith, I don't feel to bad now about my own flitting about between projects. The crew figures look wonderful and the extra support will come in very handy.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stu, a bit of variety on the painting desk helps keep motivation up.

      Delete
    2. Exactly right! Variety keeps the mojo high.

      Delete
    3. I was thinking of your constant switching between projects when I typed that Jon!

      Delete
    4. We have a firm grip on the system.

      Delete
  6. You are making quick work of your latest additions. Models do not linger long in your Lead Pile. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, that is certainly the intention!

      Delete
  7. They look great Keith, and I think it is wise using the base the Zvezda piece came with as there is nothing worse than seeing all that hard work fall apart when the model is being moved around a table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's weird....I definitely answered this earlier...and what I said was...I agree with your logic Lawrence and also, the kit was cleverly designed so that the crew are in exactly the right position vis a vis their gun.

      Delete
  8. Great work there Keith. The Pak 35/36 has always been a favourite ATG of mine ever since seeing/having the Tamiya kit as a kid. The dismounted armoured car crew look superb and are really nicely posed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve...I like the little 37mm Pak too, but it's generally a bit weak in WWII games.....in Spain, though, it may be quite effective...

      Delete
  9. Nice big range the horse and cart looks good as does the AT, nice bit of conversion on the crews, have you tried the plastic soldier company? I've got some Soviet guns/ crew for 28mm but most of their stuff is 15/20mm and they're pretty competitive at least over here?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! Yes, my small 20mm WWII Soviet collection is PSC infantry, but I don't have any of their support options. Funnily enough, Minairons sell a box of two 45mm AT guns and Spanish crew - their figures alongside PSC guns - so I may end up with some of them in my SCW collection.....

      Delete
  10. Splendid toys Keith…
    You are certainly getting a lot more done than I am at the moment…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, hope to see another 1812 unit soon....or perhaps even a small game?

      Delete
  11. Good looking guns there. I always liked AT guns. The included base is probably the right way to go.
    Sorry for the slow response; I was far and away from the internet. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries at all Stew - any comment, no longer how long after the original post, is better than no comment!

      Delete