Wednesday 7 September 2022

Finally, Some Painted Figures!

 It seems like a while but is probably only a week or so, since my last "painted figure" post. I have had all sorts of bits and pieces on the painting desk in various stages of completion and yesterday, a few of them were finished off - still a few more in the "almost done " category.


First up is a batch of nine Brigade Games Russian Civil War Bolshevik infantry


There is a nice mix of poses and headgear variety in these sculpts


I alos like the very Copplestone-esque faces!


They will fit in very well with the rest of the RCW collection


Also from Brigade Games, the euphemistically named "British Sisters" from their French and Indian Wars Range 


We all know they are meant to be Cora and Alice from Last of the Mohicans but perhaps, for copyright reasons, Brigade Games just avoid calling the that?


Cora is the older, more belligerent of the pair



Alice is the younger, softer blonde-haired sister




A couple of x 2 close ups to finish



One of the recently arrived figures from Noble Knight games is this Reaper Figure, Max Graves. Pulp Investigator, to add to the non-military male contingent of any of the Western forces.


He is a Bones figure ie semi hard plastic, but painted up quite nicely


And finally, here are a number of images of the Gaddis Games Princess Viktoria Luise


A pretty simple figure to paint - only required three basic colours - black, white and silver - plus the flesh and hair color


The various lace and insignia are all very clearly and accurately modelled on the figure, although the Deaths Head on her busby was a bit soft and didn't come out as clearly as I might have wished (I might paint it all black again and have another try....)




A x 2 image above and a regular close up below


I am unsure if I will find a use for this figure, but it was too nice not to buy and paint up. I think she can probably play some role in my Pulp Games at some stage, even if I change her nationality to some
 random Eastern European nation!

Finally, here is a 1/10 bust of the princess I found online to use as a uniform reference - great paining skills, I am sure you will agree!

30 comments:

  1. Keith, you have a good variety of figures coming out from your painting desk. Some of those figures look very long and lean. With more pulpy stuff mustering out, is a Pulp game in your future? Well, maybe you need to paint a fortune teller to provide the answer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon - I do need to do another episode of The Death Mask of Ramallah - I just need to come up with some kind of scenario that isn't more of the same! The Princess is tall and lean - probably 30mm or even 32mm - and Max Graves is a biggish figure as well. The "British Sisters" are standard sort of size though, as are the Brigade Games Bolshies

      Delete
  2. I totally have the same issue with a growing fleet of semi painted things. I'll have to finish something to make space soon! Ah!

    The princess fig is really cool. I have a picture somewhere of some royalty (maybe Russian?) in the outfits of the regiments (no doubt) named after them. Quite a cool historical thingum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite rare for me Dave - I like to try and maintain some level of painting discipline! I do actually have another batch of Bolsheviks ready, plus three 20mm M5 halftracks, but they will keep for a day or two yet!

      Delete
  3. A nice mix of stuff there Keith and at first glance I thought the Brigade Games figures were Copplestone ones, as they do look very similar. Nicely done and let's hope they get to see some action soon'ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, yes, I know, they are very similar - perhaps a little less bulky, but the facial sculpting is almost an homage to Mark C!

      Delete
  4. Nicely done, especially the Bolsheviks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty - I have about the same number still to do - part of my 13-month delivery from BG that arrived in late July. A small batch of Copplestone Turks are currently en route from Caliver, too.

      Delete
  5. Very nicely done! The Princess is a great figure, no doubt she needs rescuing from a red dragon (or a bolshy soldier) 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben...that's a good idea for the Princess, too!

      Delete
  6. A nice mix. A splash of red always looks splendid on your RCW figs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, the great thing about RCW/BoB is that it's ALMOST Imagination, and you can use a little poetic license on the uniforms!

      Delete
  7. Another nice mix of figures there Keith, with the usual amount of variety. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence, they were all fun to paint, which is an added bonus!

      Delete
  8. A varied mix of figures there Keith. I really like the Totenkopf Prinzess. A worthy interlocutor for Flashman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Chris and reminds me to go and check SHQ again to see if they have restocked on their range of Flashman figures yet! Maybe I can extend the "Pulp" idea back in time to the late Victorian era.....??!

      Delete
  9. I really like the not last of the Mohicans. I think Conquest miniatures also has a set and zombiesmith has a not the patriot.
    You said something very strange in this post that I don’t understand; you bought a miniature just to paint it?!! What a strange concept. Foreign to me though. πŸ˜€
    But the princess in uniform did come out looking great. I’m sure she can be used in a pulp game somewhere somehow; probably as an antihero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew...I am aware of your ambivalent attitude towards the painting side of the hobby! There are several manifacturers who do the Coloneks daughter I think ...Warlord do, for sure and I think Redoubt as well....there may be others. Hopefully, I will find a way of incorporating Princess Vikky into a game at some point!

      Delete
  10. Those Bolsheviks look marvellous Keith. Sculptors of 28 mm figures seem to love their to give figures big jaws though, don't they?
    The Monroe girls look great, if not quite as 'hot' as in the 'nothing like the book, but entertaining and memorable anyway' film. I guess that is 'cause they are not the Monroe girls?!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, yes, I agree re figure sculptors! The "hotness" of the sisters is also a function of the sculptors style, and I agree with you there too, both these figures faces are a bit too angular and sharp featured! The film was ok but I much preferred a multi part B&W TV series that was on two or three times back in the late sixties and early seventies on the BBC.

      Delete
  11. Beautifully painted figures Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking bolsheviks, never really did last of the mohicans so no idea who anyone is but useful figures and the princesse/ objective has turned out nicely! Maybe a micro pen to dot the skull eyes?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, and a good tip on the micro pen, too!

      Delete
  13. Lovely toys Keith…
    Princess Viky works really well… a nice simple but effective uniform.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly....just have to find a semi legitimate role for her in an occasional game now!

      Delete