Tuesday, 7 July 2026

A Monday Night Solo AI WW2 Scenario

I very quickly got my Red Army scouts into action, by asking Co Pilot to create a skirmish level scenario set on a 90cm x 90cm table with Red Army scouts - this is what it suggested  



This was followed by several pages of ideas on how to represent searching for the missing pilot and the type of terrain - I then asked it to create a map, which it also did - nothing especially clever that I could not have come up with myself - but it did it all in 10 seconds and all I had to do was read it and change anything I wanted to!











The missing "Night Witch" Red Airforce pilot! (thanks to Steve J for sending her to me a while back!)




My version of the map Co Pilot provided


Using my go to AS9 home brew rules, with random activation by turning playing cards, I set the game up. The Germans got the first three activations but were moving very cautiously (being such a small area, I only rolled 1 D6 for movement in inches)


The Germans reached the first potential "hidden pilot" - if their roll matches the number on the piece of paper, it's going to be a short game! It didn't - phew!


The Red Army scouts finally get underway - the women have been joined by a few RKX 3D printed male colleagues for this mission.


One squad is agonisingly short of the search point in a ruined cottage




Battle Honours officer leads from the front


The Wehrmacht move forwards into the wooded centre of the table, that contains another two search points


Not that one!


Nor the next one in the woods


The scouts move again, searching the ruined cottage 


But it is the officer's group who finally locate the hidden pilot in the village house!


"Comrade pilot, we are here to bring you home!"


The Germans emerge from the woods and spot the Red Army scouts


The officers group begin retracing their steps, accompanied by a grateful pilot.


The scouts assault the advancing Germans but are bounced back, suffering a casualty


The race is on - the Germans pursue the scouts in an attempt to prevent the pilots escape


Both German groups open fire, now the scouts in the wrecked house have two hits on them



Next turn, the other German unit fires at the pilots' group, getting a wound on the pilot and a hit on the escorting group. Two hits on the pilot and she will be dead!


The Russians get a turn - they fail to rally off any hit points but fall back towards their own lines




The Red Army scouts make it back to their exfiltration point with the wounded pilot - mission accomplished!



"Verdammt Russen!"



The rescued and rescuers!


Another fun little game and the Bad Squiddo squad escaped the curse of recently painted figures by winning the game - Urrah! The AI scenario proved to be a pretty good one and can easily be adapted to another era - the Last of the Mohicans perhaps? - or a different environment - Vietnam or ultra-modern Iraq or Afghanistan etc. Lots of possibilities for sure.

32 comments:

  1. Nice work Keith and a clever little scenario 👍worth copying for a different period perhaps Operation Sealion sometime ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - yes, nothing too clever and I could have thought it up all by myself - but nice to have a machine suggest the overview - useable on any front and terrain - it could be an escaping POW or an SOE agent or any number of characters the two groups are looking to find!

      Delete
  2. Now that is a clever use of AI to generate ideas to get you going, saving time so that you can enjoy the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that all worked out rather well Keith:)! Glad to see the female fighter pilot made her debut and the curse of the newly painted figures failed on this occasion.

    Blogger is still playing up, so this post appeared out of sequence based upon publishing date, hence the lack of comments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve and yes, this is definitely my worst experience of the Blogger delay. The post seems to have been delayed 2+ days (it appeared on Jons list about 14 hours ago but (correctly) stating it was posted 3 days ago.) And yes, it's pretty annoying that seems to mean no one has noticed it.....!

      Delete
    2. I did mean to say.....what I don't understand is why, since my new post was published, I have had 6 or more new comments on the PREVIOUS post....its now up to 34 in total.......don't people see the more recent one when they get on my blog to comment on it......weird!

      Delete
  4. Nice scenario and good looking game, Keith. I get the impression that it wouldn't have taken much time for you to come up with this yourself, but nice one to have in the file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard and you are right, nothing hard or complicated about the scenario but the AI automatically added in all the little extras that I might have thought of halfway through the game (or, once it was finished!)

      Delete
  5. The good thing about doing this through AI Keith is that you are adding to the storehouse of data it can trawl through for the next person.

    As for Google, I stumbled across this down my blog roll. I'm almost at the point where I'd happily pay $5 a month for some reliability. Perhaps that's what they're aiming at, and we're all being softened up to subscribe to Blogger Premium...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence - I am glad to be of some small service to future generations of wargamers!
      This has definitely been my worst experience of the delay - I went two days without a single comment on my blog, which is a bit dispiriting given the previous one has now got into the mid thirties....

      Delete
  6. Great looking game and nice result as lets face it we were all rooting for the Russians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain and I am glad to hear you were supporting the right team!

      Delete
  7. A very cool looking bash, Keith. The ladies really look the part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, there wasn't a lot of combat going on but it still kept me entertained 😜

      Delete
  8. Great looking game Keith and a decent scenario, made for a good game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Donnie, it's a pretty generic scenario I could use again, or add into a larger game as a "special mission " for a couple of the players....

      Delete
  9. Great scenario Keith .... it is good to get scenarios that don't necessarily involve a lot of shooting. Well done on your AI prompts, where would it be without humans😂

    A lovely battle field as well. All the terrain makes it look great as well as practical for playing on.

    Worst blogger delay I have seen so far. Obviously from now on you really need to wait a few days before worrying if the comments don't appear.
    If this continues to get worse, I am thinking I might create a page on my blog with a list of links to all the blogs I follow and then just click through them all every few days. Not ideal but effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And on top of all that Ben - I am SURE I already answered your comment!
      Yeah, it is quite annoying - I might experiment with posting times and see if I can hit a sweet spot when we in the Antipodes are up and about and most of the others are sleeping - so activity should be at its lowest. Mon to Fri though, I won't really be able to do that as I am limited to the evening really.... unless I create it then leave it as a draft and just post at say one or two in the afternoon....

      Delete
    2. Maybe just schedule a post for the afternoon and see how that goes.

      Delete
  10. Vivat to the Russian scouts! They are great fellows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent, Keith! AI produced a very respectable scenario for you. You are getting in a lot more solo gaming. What is odd is that I have begun checking your blog for updates regularly even without seeing it on blogroll. I remember reading this post and thought I replied. I see no reply from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Jon....maybe that's a new Blogger "feature ", I had the same experience recently!

      Delete
  12. Not sure how I missed this post. Good to see you using AI for generating scenarios as well, it saves a lot of time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty....you probably missed it because it didn't appear for three days after I posted it!

      Delete
  13. Liked that one. Might have to steal the idea once I am better set up to run some solo games myself in the future. Congrats to the new scouting ladies for not succumbing to the "Newly Painted" curse as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai....a very simple but engaging scenario....I might redo it later today using my 20mm "war on terror " collection.....

      Delete
  14. Another good looking adventure game Keith, a style and form that you are enjoying immensely, as I have seen you note elsewhere.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James - yes, I do enjoy these small-scale encounters!

      Delete
  15. An excellent little solo game Keith….
    AI might actually be good for something…
    I think Blogger is being updated at the moment… You would have thought that could be all done off line there by avoiding disruption for the end users…
    It’s like have a mechanic change a tyre on your car while you are still doing sixty miles an hour on the motorway 🙄

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly - AI does have some uses as far as I am concerned! Yeah, the old Blogger eh - can't live with it, can't live without it! Hopefully they get that tyre changed soon and we can get back up to 100mph!

      Delete