Saturday 1 December 2018

Thursday Night Game - Dreadfleet

On Thursday after work I went straight to my friend Andrew's place on the way home and we had a game of Dreadfleet, which is a fantasy pirate naval game.

I have played this game once (maybe twice) with Andrew a few years ago, and it was good fun.

We took one vessel each and the game, including a meal break, took about three hours to complete.

I took a few pictures during the game, because the models really are very nice and Andrew has done a fantastic job on painting them - as he always does!

In the end, I made the mistake of ramming Andrew's ship "just to see how it works" but without really taking into account I had a crew of 6 reduced to 4 whilst he had a crew of 7 - I guess you can work out how that ended! We rolled a dice per crewman needing 5 or 6 to get a casualty - you then draw a card from a casualty pack - I managed to draw a double casualty so was reduced to 2 fighting 6 after the first round of combat. I also had a damage card that prohibited me from moving, so I could not disengage from the close combat and it just continued for two or three rounds till I was defeated.

Here are the pictures

 The Dreadfleet box
Some of the contents - they all started off as grey plastic and have been transformed by Andrews brilliant brushwork

The "good" Pirate ship that I commanded

The "evil" ship commanded by Andrew

The two ships approach each other and the maze of island, reefs and ship wrecks dotted around the playing area

My ship delivers the first broadside

A raking shot from the rear

Playing hide and seek amongst the rocks and reefs

The final move - my ship uses its steam powered hammer as it rams Andrew, but his larger crew gave him the advantage in the following hand to hand combat



6 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun little game and fantastic painting on the ships. Was the playing mat part of the boxed set or purchased elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nate - yes I almost commented on the mat in my blog - it is really great and I think may be silk - came with the game and the surface looks very realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These ships are fabulous, must be a real pleasure to play with them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Phil - yes, Andrew is a top class painter - he paints figures full time for several collectors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Iain - yes I agree, Andrew has done a fantastic job painting these - but he always does!

    ReplyDelete