Monday 24 August 2020

3eme Regiment des Chevau-Legers Lanciers de la Ligne

Or as we Anglos would say, the 3rd Line Lancer Regiment.

This is the first stand completed of the Warlord figures - the officer (fully metal) and trumpeter (metal figure on a standard plastic horse). I decided to make this new regiment the 3rd as they have pink facings, which sounded very pretty - and I already have the 1er Regiment (red) and the 5eme Regiment (sky blue). Reference for the uniforms was taken from a combination of the box art work/painted examples and "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars", a nice catchy title there!

 
Above and below - one of the many Napoleonic reference books in my library. I must say, having been reminded that a number of the later batch of converted Line Lancers wore the Polish style uniform, I am now tempted to do anther lancer regiment.....!


Head on view of officer and bugler - I have a habit of mounting cavalry musicians on greys, which does have some historical validity. The Background is Google Earth views from a Spanish highway, which I thought was appropriate!


The pink is MUCH brighter than it appears here - I must have had the angle poise lamp too close to the figures I guess



Rear view of the command group - the officers pouch has a bugle sculpted on, which is a nice detail.


Final comparison shot of Warlord figures v's two of my twenty year old Front Rank 5eme Lancers. Strangely, although Front Rank would be one of my favourite ranges to paint, they don't look so nice when sitting next to the finer Warlord figures.

Next up, I will finish off the two elite company lancers. They are in fact completed now, barring the pigmenting of their horses, which is the part of painting cavalry that I find incredibly tedious, for some reason!

28 comments:

  1. Beautifully done Keith. Three down (nearly) and three to go, then the two former Vistula units...!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James....I think thre regiments of lancers should suffice. Apparently they were usually brigaded with Dragoons, so maybe I need to ad some of that type next

      Delete
  2. Lovely, and what a fab book, I have the AWI title and never knew they did a napoleonic title.

    As an aside, in your blog editor, if you click on an image and then on the pencil icon, it will let you change the image size for extra large to large, that will bring the photo back inside the margin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm - yes its a nice book and relatively inexpensive - about $US15 I think. There is a series of them - I also have one covering the rest of the 19th century - Crimea, FPW, ACW and British Colonial, amongst others. Re the size of the images, I have always loaded them as extra large but the issue with them breaching the margin has only recently started happening - something to do with unwanted changes to Blogger I guess!

      Delete
    2. I have ordered the napoleonic encyclopaedia, thanks for highlighting.

      Delete
    3. You are most welcome Norm - ENJOY!

      Delete
  3. Very nice! The Warlord figures are certainly more animated, but the Front Rank ones have a charm of their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Steve - I am not bagging FR - they are probably still my favourite figures to paint!

      Delete
  4. Great start Keith. I think the pink is a good choice. I have the 18th Regt of Dragoons which also has pink (rose)facing in my Napoleonic collection as a family friend did their French National Service in the 18th. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg - appreciate your comments. "Rose" I guess is a bit more of a military description for the colour :) Nce link with your family friend too.

      Delete
  5. Looking good, Keith! The comparison with the Front Rank cavalry is astonishing. The FR horse look so chunky. FR are my favorite 28mm Napoleonics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathon. The newer "reinforcement" packs of FR look particularly nice - the only problem is,I really have enough Napoleonic troops already....

      Delete
  6. Nicely looking cavalry stand, Keith. I like the gray horse. It’s shade looks really natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry - I find grey horses quite easy to get "right" - I just start with black and work my way up through multiple layers of dry brushing to almost pure white. Black are the worst because going too grey in the highlighting ruins it!

      Delete
  7. Great looking cavalry, despite painting far to many I have never quite managed getting horses right.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu...stand by for a mixture of bay horses for the troopers - sometimes I get these looking quite nice, others not so much - consistency is my problem!

      Delete
  8. Lovely work Keith. I have to say that Front Rank are my default figure of choice, but they look massive compared. At least you know you always get your money's worth of metal with the older FR figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence. Yes having built up the bulk of my early collections using locally available FR figures, they will always have a place in my collections - and for the quality, I find them very reasonably priced, plus they will still sell individual figures rather than packs of 4 or 8, which I also prefer on occasions! For those of us outside the EU, they also deduct the VAT, which just about covers the postage - a great company to deal with!

      Delete
  9. Great work Keith. I did a couple of squadrons of these as attached bodies for my 1812 French Cuirassier divisions. They are tidy figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - we must get that enormous cavalry force of yours into a game sometime - I just bags being on the French side that day - all those Cuirassiers - scary stuff!

      Delete
  10. I like these very much. I am so tempted to do a peninsula war army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT Mark - I dare ya! Trouble is, you will need both sides...oh wait, that's no problem, I have both sides myself!

      Delete
    2. Perhaps I can press my War of 1812 British infantry and Royal Artillery to use?

      Delete
  11. An excellent start to this unit Keith...
    I do like the Rose/Pink facings...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, yes they will look very pretty on the battlefield!

      Delete
  12. Pink's not a fav of mine, but I always love to see it on Napoleonic uniforms. It does look grand! Surprised about the size of the front Rank figures, they do seem extra chunky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray...yes, they do seem so in comparison...mind you, they are much easier to paint than the Warlord ones!

      Delete