Friday 14 August 2020

Covid Part Two

I had been toying with the idea of a non gaming post on this subject and have just seen Marks reference to it, so that decided me to proceed! I hope its not too maudlin - I think its good to occasionally let the real world creep into our gaming blogs, but others may disagree - I guess the proof will be the number of visits/comments I get!

I have seen headlines on both BBC World and CNN websites about the fact that we now have a new cluster of community transmission cases in Auckland and a few other places in the N Island, so I assume most of you will be aware of this unfortunate event here. What is reassuring though, as Jonathon has alluded to in his comment on Marks post, is that our government has reacted with commendable speed and re imposed a fairly draconian (by NZ standards) level of control and containment in an attempt to prevent the spread. Residents of the largest city (by far) Auckland, are not permitted to travel outside the city unless on essential services etc EG freight vehicles and the police and armed forces (unarmed, it is New Zealand!) are deployed to enforce this policy.

Unlike Mark, I allegedly qualify as an essential worker because I work in the freight industry, so I have continued to travel the 50km in to work in Auckland, but the head office of our company, where I work, only has about six of us physically there - most people are working from home again. My family are lucky - well I think so - in that we are all still able to go out to work as normal - my son is a builder and is permitted to carry on  working and my daughter a flight attendant with Air NZ. On Wednesday, the first day of lockdown, she flew from Auckland to Queenstown - originally the A320 was fully booked, but on the day of the flight, they only had 12 passengers - the only ones who were essential or Queenstown residents returning home I guess. They did bring about 100 back however.

At 1730 today we had another announcement from our PM Jacinda Ardern, saying that the current alert levels - 3 in Auckland and 2 in the rest of the country - will remain in place for another ten days. I think this is what most of us expected and we are glad I think, because the only other possible announcement would have been a move to even an stricter lockdown.

Following are a random mixture of pictures, including some gaming related ones at the end. Hopefully you have not been bored to tears or irritated by my posting about this minor speed wobble here when many of you are living in countries where the virus is rampant and completely out of control - our issues here probably seem quite minor in comparison to your own.....

First up a press image that I put first so it shows as the title image for the blog, followed by two random pictures I have had for a while and not had an opportunity to post - or I have forgotten to do so!



 

 
This has happened twice so far in our winter - since 1 June - ice on the windscreen at 6am - that's the coldest it gets here in Auckland - no snow, no ice on the roads....just a little bit of frost half a dozen times over the three months of winter...
 

 
And is this global warming? I have never seen strawberries grow and ripen in mid winter - its weird!

 
 
Press images of the checkpoint I have to drive past on the way to work ( I don't have to stop as I am staying within Auckland) - fortunately on the way home I can get off at an earlier exit and take an alternative route, or I would be waiting in a queue for half an hour or longer....


 
Below is an image I took getting on the motorway the first day of the L3 lockdown, of the vehicles queued up at 7am to pass through the police checkpoint before continuing their journey south out of Auckland - that's what I avoid by getting off the motorway at an earlier ramp!

 
Every cloud has a silver lining however - compare the two images below - the first on the way home 5pm the day of L3 coming back into force....

 
...and this one is roughly the same area at the same time a couple of weeks ago!

 
Finally, some toy soldier related pictures - if you have made it this far without decamping



Several views of a "Bastle House" I have created to complement the Pele Tower - figures to give an idea of scale



 
A few village homes for the peasants to inhabit


A few derelict wrecked buildings to scatter around the table - just need to actually buy some Reivers now!

 
That's it - thanks for visiting.

23 comments:

  1. Hi Kieth- So very unfortunate for NZ having gone 102 days without any virus- hope the authorities can get on top of this current breakout in Auckland. We're retired and no need to travel- have not been out of town for six months. We're limited to where we go for grocery shopping, doctors and pharmacy...fortunately with some ease of restrictions things are better than they were. Victoria is being hit hard by a 2nd Wave of the Virus- with no end in sight- still not as bad as the USA though.
    Stay well and safe. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev - yes - and we have the terrible example of Melbourne for how not to handle it. I have a colleague in Melbourne who has been working from home for over five months! Other parts of Australia seem to be coping a lot better - I guess its one time having a federal system with separate states is advantageous! Stay safe too mate.

      Delete
  2. Fair comments mate. I think the pollies currently in power in OZ & NZ are doing the best they can. In reality it's the civil servants who advise them on the available courses of action. The border building look grand. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg,. I have to echo Marks comments below too - we have the leader of our National (Right wing)Party and her deputy standing in front of journalists saying @We got to 100 days and then the PM and Dir Gen of Health started talking about the possible need for masks and maybe having regional lockdowns and the latter was filmed getting the nose swab test etc ….what did they know that they were not telling the rest of us? The answer is a lot of things of course, but the level of dishonesty and conspiracy theory they are implying is ridiculous in NZ and IO don't think many people are buying it - in fact, they have been criticised for taking tips from the Trump playbook! Now if you will allow me, a topical joke at Australia's expense....Why is Covid 19 in Australia like the Spice Girls reunion tour....Everybody is trying so hard to do their best, but Victoria is letting them all down :)

      Delete
    2. Good one Jonathan. --- I used to like the Spice Girls ---- No, only joking mate.

      Delete
  3. With a quick response and seemingly no indecision, this outbreak will likely be back under control. How different the situation in the USA. Only frost in winter? How do I emigrate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathon - yes, its seems incredible to most of us in the rest of the world, how poorly its been handled in the US. I suspect they thought it would kill a few thousand poor, old people and then burn itself out..but no sign of that happening. I suspect you might have to join quite a long queue and be prepared for a long wait before you cam emigrate here at present! We had a news story about how many thousands of hits there had been in the Immigration NZ web site from America in the last six months!

      Delete
    2. Also apropos the relative severity of our winter Jonathon, note the way the police officers on the checkpoint are dressed ...short sleeved shirts for standing outside several hours at a time! I have just Solent a couple of hours in the garden tidying up and had to take off my sweatshirt as it was too warm while working!

      Delete
    3. I don't know where Solent came from..bloody auto correct..... It should of course read I have just spent....

      Delete
  4. I think we are doing the right thing too Keith, despite the comments of a number of local media and opposition politicians. My only concern is purely selfish because we have a trip booked to the South Island in September and all the accommodation is pre-paid.

    While my role is also classed as essential, I can effectively work from home (although I do not like it) but I suspect that by the middle of next week operational demands will have me back in the office.

    We have not had a single frost at home this winter...we can usually count on a dozen or so days since we are at the foot of a ridge, then we are about 100 kms north of you. I like frosty days...you always know you are alive when you walk out in the cold air, there is always that satisfying crunch when you walk on the grass and a gorgeously sunny day always follows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course Mark - and that's fair enough - it would annoy me too if I had the possibility of losing money! It has crossed my mind that there is a possibility we wont be able to do Tarawera...hopefully I am wrong. Totally agree about the mild winter - we too normally have many mornings wit a frost and I think its only happened twice this year. Another beautiful bright sunny day here today - pity our drinking water dams are half empty and we desperately need a month of rain!

      Delete
    2. ...and wouldn’t you know it We had our first frost this morning!

      Delete
  5. I think this shows that the virus will keep rearing its head. I had hoped it may have mutated away much as SARS did by now, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

    I'm really looking forward to being able to travel to NZ again as it is approaching a year since I have seen my parents in Cambridge, and I'm starting to feel a little robbed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Kaha Lawrence -it must be tough being relatively close to your parents but unable to visit. We have a large number of people here (the majority I suspect) who think anyone coming into the country should have to pay $4000 a head for the two weeks in an isolation facility (read hotel)- I don't agree with that in the case of permanently returning citizens but unfortunately, I do think if you are just popping in for a few weeks or going out and then back again for business or holiday, you SHOULD pay. I don't think you will be able to visit your parents for quite some time, unless you have a spare six week (two in isolation at each end of the journey) and a lot of extra cash....

      Delete
  6. The new buildings are coming along nicely Keith...

    I must say I would rather have the New Zealand government in charge as opposed to the set of clowns we have at the moment...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. Yes looking back at the UK from over here, it does seem to be pretty chaotic. Given that Britain and Ireland are islands, it would have been possible for them to have followed the same 'go early,go hard' policy we used here....a lot more complicated I accept for the UK to close its borders, but certainly possible. Too late now of course...but letting the great unwashed traipse off to Benidorm or Ibiza on holiday did seem pretty dumb to me! Take care and stay safe

      Delete
  7. Getting the balance right is certainly is challenging for all nations. You guys certainly seem to act at pace.
    How is the press in NZ? - In the UK our media is shocking and adding to the confusion with their own agenda and constant criticism of every initiative put forward.
    The economic impact is equally concerning as everyone adapts. My place is shedding 5% of it workforce, a bit concerning when I always figured I was in an industry that might weather the storm better than others. Still home working does give you more painting time.
    Stay safe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Stu....and many people think we have the balance wrong, as we rely heavily on tourism and don't look like opening up to overseas visitors any time soon ...there is talk of it being several years. As you can imagine, our hospitality industry is not happy at all. Personally I think what we are doing is right, but then I do not think there is much risk to my employment so it's easier for me to take that attitude. Our press isn't as partisan as the UK, where you know which way they will jump based on whether they are a Tory or Labour supporting paper. But journalists just can't help themselves, they always have to have a dig or whinge about something, that's why they are down the bottom of trusted and respected professions, only just above politicians! Let's hope we can all get on top of this situation in the not too distant future and I hope you are not impacted by any down sizing at work.

      Delete
  8. Seems like your mob are doing the right thing from over here,I like the peel house, nice bit of scratch building!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Iain although of course there are plenty people with the opposite opinion who think we should look at the Swedish example....

      Delete
  9. Lovely figure and terrain work, Keith. It's really amazing how this bug has effectively changed the day to day lives in the 21st C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, yes, I agree. When you consider its not really all that deadly to the vast majority, you have to wonder if the whole world has just become risk averse. If it had happened a hundred years ago,I am sure the world would just have carried on as usual....

      Delete