Thursday 11 March 2021

A Few Great Northern War Cavalry

 Sticking to the plan has been a challenge....I do have one base worth (six infantry)....three quarters completed, but I have also managed to finish off all 12 of the standing cavalry. Inexplicably, I somehow got the idea that a regiment only needed three bases of three - three squadrons in other words - rather than four. As a result, I painted one group of three in a different uniform, with orange facings rather than yellow. Perhaps I will just go over them but I think I will probably just leave them and buy some more of the Warlord cavalry at a later date.

Anyway, here they are all - photos do not seem to be the best for some reason I cannot figure out, as they were taken in the same way at the same place as usual.....

Probably have some completed Ebor infantry to show off next time.



Officer, Ensign and bugler, I have yet to decide on a standard for the right hand figure to carry


As I often do, the bugler is mounted on a grey



The other squadron of the yellow faced unit. 


The plastic figures do allow a good deal of individuality of pose to be created



The orange faced unit I did in error...again, use of different arms and head positioning allows some interesting figures to be produced




Here is a final view of the three squadrons of the yellow faced regiment together - I am reasonably happy with how they have turned out. Next, I have nine charging figures in the light blue faced uniform to work my way through. Just as well my wife is away for a few days - no long walks this weekend - it will be long hours at the painting desk instead!

24 comments:

  1. Those look very nice Keith and I look forward to seeing what your long hours at the painting desk produce whilst SWMBO is away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I hope my output does not disappoint !

      Delete
  2. Nicely done and the hat on the ground is an eye-catching touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm. That's another bonus with the plastic figures- lots of left over spare parts that can be used for set decoration.

      Delete
  3. Looking good, Keith! Do you prefer the plastic to the metal figures? Hope you are able to get in some solid painting sessions while time allows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon. No...if I could get twelve metal cavalry for the equivalent of US$30, I would use them ( unless they were horrible casts of course!). Using plastic is about 90% an economic decision. Having said that, I am perfectly happy with all the plastic troops in my collections.

      Delete
  4. Nice looking cavalrymen, Keith. One question: who left a hat? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry! The hat.....who knows? Could have been from a Swedish colleagues or a Russian opponent....

      Delete
  5. Classic looking cavalry, Keith. They remind me of 54mm figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean. Look out for another batch in a day or two!

      Delete
  6. Nice looking Cav. And that’s the trouble with uniform facings; sometimes they get mixed up. 😀
    I wish you a productive painting time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew - the erroneous calculation has been in my head the whole way - I had always thought - two packs of twelve is twenty four - divided by three per base is eight bases - that's two full regiments and one lot of three each left over...then a couple of nights ago, I suddenly thought "but there are FOUR squadrons per regiment....!"

      Delete
  7. Lovely work Keith. It is frustrating when we get those mini-calculations that we perform in our heads confused!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers Lawrence.....I refer the honourable member to my previous answer.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unit looks excellent Keith. Orange is not so far from Orange I say hide them in the unit till they can be replaced.👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt and a very practical solution - they fight in squadrons under these rules anyway, so it only aesthetics I am worrying about really.....

      Delete
  10. Excellent looking Cavalry Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, these pics don't really do them justice for some reason...I am happy with how they turned out.

      Delete
  11. Those are very nice Keith, they are really coming along.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stu. Hopefully more to come over the next couple of days

      Delete