Monday 8 March 2021

Great Northern War - Swedish Infantry Teaser

As alluded to in a couple of my comments to the previous post, I am trying to be focused and stick to the plan IE finish off the Warlord hard plastic cavalry before I start on the newly arrived Ebor infantry,,,,however..... during a mega session on Sunday when I completed six cavalry troopers (more of them in the next post) I did allow myself the slight distraction of painting one of the infantry officers - and a very nice figure it is too!

Here he is from five different angles - the Swedish uniform in this era is simple but elegant, and the sculptor has done it justice in this lovely figure in my opinion






Prior to yesterdays painting session, to mark the end of our seven day lockdown in Auckland, we had a quick trip to a local forest park based around a series of dams in the Hunau Ranges, east of Auckland, which supply the bulk of our domestic water supply. For several months, these dams have been well below the expected level for the time of year and we have been admonished to have shorter showers, not water the garden, not wash our cars etc. Even now, with some of the restrictions relaxed, you can still see the water levels are well below the maximum they could be. A nice little walk of about 5km which took around an hour to complete - there was a lot of steep climbs involved!

The start of the walk was this suspension bridge with a warning sign saying the max no of people to be on it at one time is three....not very many...so not sure how safe and secure the bridge actually is!


A great view from the halfway point, with the Wairoa dam lake visible in the distance


A view in the opposite direction, looking west across the farmland towards Pukekohe in the distance


Closer view of the Wairoa dam and reservoir - you can see how far below the "full" level the surface of the water is


Small feeder stream adjacent to the carpark 

That's it for tonight - more GNW cavalry soon I hope.

22 comments:

  1. A great looking figure, your painting has brought the best of this sculpt out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm, the figure has some very nice detail to pick out

      Delete
  2. Easy to get distracted, as I know only too well! Great work on this figure and as always, nice to have some pics of your local area:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had an early start today as you will note from the time of this comment, so spent half an hour painting six horses as penance for the infantry officer!

      Delete
  3. Great looking figure and beautiful painting.

    Really enjoying your pictures of the landscape on your walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, appreciate your comments and I am glad you like the non wargaming content too!

      Delete
  4. Lovey figures, Keith. I like the pose and also the uniform colors. The lush vegetation also looks great - love the primordial look of the large fern leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean on both accounts. I believe Ebor are sculpted by Pail Hicks, who dies a lovely job.

      Delete
  5. That’s a great background. And a nice figure as well. 😀
    Paint what you want. Sometimes it’s more productive to paint what you’re excited about. But sometimes we have to push ourselves to paint something just to complete a project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice Stew - but I will try to be disciplined or it will be months before I get back to finish off the cavalry!

      Delete
  6. Lovely figure! He is part of the current project, so surely there has been no deviation of purpose? Nice landscape too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice try at justification Iain - but the cavalry are stage one of the GNW project - I need to stick to the schedule or things will start going pear shaped! Glad you like the scenic images!

      Delete
  7. A nice figure Keith which really shows off what to my eye is the perfect shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence and interesting you say that as I did wonder if perhaps the blue was a bit too dark for GNW Swedes...however, it is what I have, so it is the colour they are going to be painted! Kandor I think it is called....

      Delete
  8. That is a simply elegant uniform enhanced by the color combination. That alone me tempts me! I enjoyed your foray into the wilderness too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, appreciate your words of support and glad you liked the local countryside too.

      Delete
  9. Lovely looking officer, Keith.
    You won't stop teasing me with beautiful sunny views :) We just had snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry....I do not miss the snow I grew up with in Scottish winters, I must admit! You live in a very beautiful city though....

      Delete