Sunday 14 March 2021

Ebor Great Northern War Infantry

 I have finished off one base (of three) in the first of six (or more....?) Swedish infantry units for the Great Northern War project. Regular readers will know this not what was intended but hey ho, its a hobby and supposed to be fun, right? To salve my conscience, I have also completed two more bases of the plastic GNW cavalry, and should have the whole unit wrapped up in a day or two, so I am still sort of sticking to the plan!

This unit represents the Sodermanland Regiment for no other reason than a) I found their colours online at no cost and b) it was one of the regiments I managed to find some uniform details for.

As an aside, I located about ten or twelve sets of regimental colours and downloaded and printed them all - so perhaps that indicates the eventual size of this project...?

The regiment seems to have been what we might call "standard" or "regulation" dress for the Swedish army of this period - blue coats faced yellow, with buff leather under jacket and belts. The cartridge box was black leather.

Very nice figures by Ebor and I am happy with how they have turned out - the first six of over one hundred who arrived in the depot recently.


Unlike the Russians or most WSS armies, the Swedes in this period had retained the pike. These are represent on the central, command base. 




For Beneath Lilly Banners, we are using units comprising 18 figures on 3 60mm x 60mm bases - a bit of a departure for me as I have never had more than three or four figures per base before



And now, because if I dont post these soon there wont be any point, and based on feedback from a few readers that they dont object to occasional forays into the New Zealand countryside, here is day two from our weekend away about three or four weeks back

First thing on the Sunday morning we headed off and did this short 6km walk along the bank of Lake Okareka. I have passed the Lake Okareka Loop Road on numerous occasions, including each time we visit Lake Tarawera for our annual wargaming week away, so it was nice to finally turn off the road and drive down to this quiet, picturesque spot








From Okareka, we returned to the main road, adjacent to the Blue and Green Lakes, and walked the 6 or 8km track around the circumference of the former



I think in the following video, you can actually see a colour difference between the two lakes - it was the latter one in the video that we circumnavigated


After a nice lunch in Rotorua, the third walk saw us north east of Rotorua, on the road leading to Whakatane and Tauranga. I am not sure if the walk was in the Rotoiti Forest or the Tarawera Forest but we negotiated about 10km of unsealed road to get to our destination, much to my wife's consternation. Her feelings were not helped by a large red sign with white writing on it at the start of the road, saying something like "Extreme Danger! Logging Trucks operating on this road at all times" Fortunately, being Sunday, we did not encounter any 






Above and below are examples of the road in and out to this very remote walk. Another vehicle had recently passed in the image below, hence the dust cloud - my car was absolutely filthy and we literally could not see anything out the back window till I cleaned it.

31 comments:

  1. Keith, this is great looking command stand. The uniform and flags make it pop. This will be a beautiful army. I enjoyed your landscapes too. Tranquil and beautiful lakes in abundance. I will never tire of seeing your excursions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Jon - the Swedes have a very nice colour combination but I will need to work out a better system for painting the yeloow....it took about three coats before I was happy with it! The other "risk" is a level of "sameyness" compared with other 18th century armies - although I guess if you look at the British, all that varies is the facing colours.... Its going to be fun building up the Swedish force in any case. Glad you liked the scenery too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed equally the beautiful miniatures you have been painting (The Sweds are amazing) and the New Zealand countryside. Looking forward to more of both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for both endorsements Mark - glad you enjoyed both aspects of the latest post!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Stunning Swedes, Keith. The dark blue coats and yellow facings AND pants are an eye-catching combination. Lovely NZ scenes again as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean - from what I have seen researching uniforms on the web, sometimes, the gaiters/stockings were the regimental facing colour, others they are plain white. I guess one can use a bit of artistic license 300 years later! Glad you enjoyed the bush walks too.

      Delete
  5. Top notch Swedes rross, great painting and wonderful flags on this command stand...Gorgeous landscapes as well lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I am enjoying the Swedish uniforms at the moment.

      Delete
  6. A top-notch miniatures with gorgeous flags. I assume GNW teme is qite inspiring for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dmitry...it was not a conflict I knew much about but my friend Nick is very keen on late 17th/early 18th century uniforms and has been nagging me for months to join him, so at last I gave in and bought these very nice Ebor figures. I suppose it is a well known war in Russia and Scandanavia.....

      Delete
  7. Excellent command stand Keith, they and the flag look very snazzy!
    How strange that two lakes so close can be so different in colour? All the pics look so peaceful and tranquil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray...often they both look greyish, but that day I thought you really could see one distinctly green and the other blue.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful figures Keith, the yellow and blue contrasts nicely. Do you paint each base before the next or block paint ? The countryside is also beautiful, remote and lovely 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. If I understand your question, I paint a base or element worth of figures from start to finish, base them, then start on the next batch, although if I only have three figures per base, I often paint two or even three bases together. Ten or twelve figures at a time are enough for me...I don't know how Dean at WAB was able to do 240 Napoleonic Russians in one enormous group....!

      Delete
    2. Yep that was my question as I guess we all have a limit to the number of figures we paint in a batch. Strangely I can do 24 and sometimes 30 in 28 mm more than that just doesn’t work. Yes Dean’s 240 makes my head hurt !

      Delete
  9. Superb command stand. Look forward to seeing the rest of the regiment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil....cavalry first and then I should have the first infantry regiment completed later this week.

      Delete
  10. This collection is coming along nicely Keith...
    A very nice command group indeed.
    And as always lovely photos.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. Have not seen you about for a while?

      Delete
    2. I am still here but since I updated my iPad I have had a bit of difficulty commenting on blogger...
      I really need to get that new laptop...🙄

      Delete
    3. Ah right - that explains it!

      Delete
  11. Very nice command group Keith and love the photos of the NZ scenery. Perfect to cheer one up as Spring struggles to get going here in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - yes the seasons are moving around - in two weeks, we will have our clocks go back an hour at the end of daylight saving! I will try to remember to irritate you with images of blazing sun and +20 deg temps in the middle of our autumn!

      Delete
  12. Nice work again Keith, and those flags came out well. I normally put a light brown below yellow which I find helps me, but I still have to go over it twice and am never entirely happy with the result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence and thanks for the tip. I am trying black undercoat then plastering all the yellow areas with pure white...will see how that goes!

      Delete
  13. Great job with the yellow and blue uniforms; the infantry looks really good. And I don’t mind the outdoor pictures; it helps to remind me what trees look like. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew - the yellow is a bit of a trial to paint but I shell persevere - given 90% of the Swedish army at this time seems to had this combination, I dont have a lot of choice! Of course, I will paint the two or three units that did vary - two with red facings, one with white that I have identified so far - but the bulk of the collection, including the Lifeguards, all wore very similar uniforms, Glad the scenic images are proving beneficial - I will take that as encouragement to keep posting them now and then!

      Delete
  14. Lovely looking Swedish command and landscapes! For yellow I've found that painting yellow ochre,I use an old citadel one,has better coverage and if you need it more yellow you can can just highlight it with a purer yellow.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Iain - I have tried a pale buff type colour as undercoat this time, rather than pure white - still a bit iffy to my eyes but at gaming range they look fine!

      Delete