Saturday 10 April 2021

A Few Extra Pikemen......

 When I purchased the GNW Swedes from Ebor, I added two extra packs of marching pike men in tricorns. The plan was to add three each to four of my existing WSS units, to make them compatible with the Beneath Lilly Banners rules Nick and I have used a couple of times.

With a slight hiatus in the GNW production caused by missing figures from the last two unpainted units, I decided now was a good time to paint up these extra twelve pike men, and here are the first six! They are not an exact match, as they have turn backs when my WSS troops do not, but they are close enough for me.


Three pike men of the Swiss (in Dutch service) Regiment Lochmann


These three are to add to the Danish Dronnigens Livregiment (Queens Lifeguard)


How the Lochmann Regiment will be fielded for Beneath Lilly Banners (this is an all Ebor unit)


And the Danish Queens Lifeguard with pikes added behind the command element (the rest of the figures are Warlord/ex Wargames Factory hard plastic WSS)

I have two more pike bases three quarters completed and they should appear her in the near future, although next up is likely to be an AAR on an ACW game I will be participating in at Barry's place tomorrow. 

20 comments:

  1. Nice work. You could have used them as the start of Holstien troops, allies of the Swedes. But the extra option on existing units is also cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil...I am trying to keep this collection at a manageable size so probably won't be adding the Holsrien contingent but a nice suggestion!

      Delete
  2. Very eye catching, i hadn’t realised just how much colour these armies can bring to te table - splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very attractive period Norm, as is the period just prior...1660-1690... Monmouth, James II and King William III

      Delete
  3. Very nice work Keith. I like the idea that you can add or take them away as required to reflect the unit in the WotTK rules:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. They should work well to fit my WSS units into the earlier period

      Delete
  4. Keith, your pikemen are outstanding! The red/yellow is a handsome combo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John. Most of my Spanish Succesion units were chosen based on their uniforms or flags I was able to source.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, hope to get them in action soon...

      Delete
  6. Lovely new regiments, Keith! Their uniforms a nice contrast to the earlier blue coated Swedes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. The WSS collection certainly has a great deal more variety than the GNW!

      Delete
  7. Excellent pikemen! They compliment regiments absolutely harmoniously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dmitry. I did consider trying to file file off the turn backs but I think they probably look better the way I did them !

      Delete
  8. Nice work Keith, and I would guess they are a pleasant interlude amongst all the recent blue and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence...yes, you hit the nail on the head re the uniform colours!

      Delete
  9. Nice work, always a treat when the add ons look as good as the base unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...they don't match up one hundred per cent but as I said, I am not too concerned about that!

      Delete