Saturday 24 April 2021

Variety is the Spice of Life.....

 ....which is why I often have a number of different projects on the go simultaneously. Some of these have been three quarters completed for a while, a couple have been fully completed and just not photographed, and others are fresh off the painting desk....



My last (for the moment) Swedish Great Northern War unit is underway. I decided to go with the Estlandska (Estonian) Regiment. The flag is quite plain but the bonus is the orange facings!



Here is the best angle on the Estlandska flag.



Next some of the recent arrivals from Caliver - four of the Pulp Figures female adventurers, painted for use in my Russian Civil War project


Machine gunner


Cheka Agent


Siberian Rifles Leader


Interrogator - well, what else is she going to use that whip for?!


These ladies have been finished for several months, I just never got around to photographing them - some servants hanging out the washing for the Border Reivers collection - but useable in many other situations I am sure


Really nice resin figures from Fenryll in France.



And finally, a batch of The Assault Group Border Militia and Reivers that will form the forces of the Crown if we ever actually get a game of Reivers on a table!


Command group - I think the flag is Mary Stewarts coat of arms as Queen of Scotland....


Four of the TAG Reivers on foot


A firing line of government calivermen

That's it for now, The second base of the Estlanska Regiment is based and just needs finishing off and I hope to complete the last six figure over the next couple of days.

22 comments:

  1. A lot of great looking minis sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a lot of variety crossing your workbench! I agree that it is important to mix up the projects to keep painting motivation high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon..you are certainly the leader in variety of projects tackled...yours seem to be ongoing forever! Not included here are the first few Latvian Rifles for the RCW collection and a bunch of War of 1812 militia, as they have not been based yet!

      Delete
    2. My projects do seem unending, don’t they?

      Delete
    3. But in a good way....that was not a criticism!

      Delete
  3. Lovely brushwork on the wide range of projects, Keith. I usually can only concentrate working on one project at a time, but variety is the spice of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean. You are also a blogger who seems to move from one project to the next with great regularity. The difference is, it would probably take you three days to complete what has taken me three months...and with a higher quality paint job to boot!

      Delete
  4. Nice to be able to get some character pieces into the collection. The pulp adventure ladies remind me of teenage years watching the Avengers and Department S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I have a bit of a weakness for including female figures in my collections! Jon asked in a previous post what I was going to use them for...the truth is, they may never play a role in any table top encounter, I just wanted to paint them!

      Delete
  5. Very nice, I always find in beneficial to keep a number of projects on the go at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil...I don't always do this but all my current projects are reasonably small, so jumping between them does not slow down progress on a twenty battalion army, for example!

      Delete
  6. Plenty of spice there!

    Love the Border Reivers. A right bunch of evil b******s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....evil barstewards was the look I was going for.....and these are supposed to be the forces of Law and Order!

      Delete
  7. Great work Keith all round and especially love the Estonian regiment command base:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - I am hoping to get them finished off this weekend - we have Monday as a public holiday because today (Sunday) is ANZAC Day....they decided a couple of years ago to "Mondayise" ANZAC Day if it fell on a weekend, like they do with Christmas.

      Delete
  8. That is a nice assortment Keith, and beautifully done. I much prefer to plough through a project to the end if I can as I hate having to "relearn" how to tackle figures after too long a break, although it can feel more like a slog at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. I agree - if I had twenty battalions of Swedes to paint, I would probably knock out one after another until they were all done - but as they are running out and the next batch are probably a few weeks away, it was nice to fill the gap with some different bits and pieces. My primary discipline is to try to paint almost everything I buy, before I buy any more!

      Delete
  9. Lovely toys Keith...
    You are certainly mixing your spices well..

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Aly, apologies for the late response!

      Delete
  10. Cool variety of figures and they all look great! I especially like the laundry washers. 😀

    I’m kinda different in that I focus on one or two projects at most and only move on when one is complete. Otherwise I wouldn’t get anything done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew....sometimes I am the same as you and at other times, I am in and out of a variety of different projects...kinda depends on what's in my unpainted pile and how my finances for replenishment are looking!

      Delete