Saturday 22 May 2021

Latest Great Northern War Regiment - Narke Varmalands

 As mentioned in my last post, I chose this regiment because of the red facing colours and Karpus headwear. The flag is as usual quite attractive and I used the design as inspiration for my speculative grenadier caps!

Before the pics, here are a couple of bits of info I managed to piece together:



Now for the eye candy!


Above and below the eighteen man battalion six per 60mm x 60mm base



A very nice flag - AGAIN!





Grenadier mitre caps with a nod at the design of the regimental standard



Drummers uniform based on the illustration on the previous blog post






I have decided how I will paint the last three regiments of Ebor figures in the lead pile - two are charging in Karpus and the third is marching in tricorn

On the painting desk at the moment are the Vastmanlands Regiment, who wore a blue coat faced yellow but with blue stockings and Karpus - this their flag


The second Karpus unit will be the Halsinge Regiment. as above but with yellow stockings


And finally, the tricorn wearing unit will be the Kronobergs Regiment, same uniform as the Vastmanland.


These should take three to four weeks to complete, so thoughts are now turning to what to purchase next - is it 60 cavalry - or is it perhaps on 36....? I will also need a few gunners - probably three crews of four will be sufficient as the artillery were not a big part of the Swedish army at this time from what I have read.

Off to Barry's tomorrow for a large group Wars of the Roses game using Mark and Nicks figures, so images should be very attractive when I present my AAR!

24 comments:

  1. Another superb looking regiment. I'd go for lots of cavalry. Many of the battles in the GNW feature lots of cavalry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil - I must say, 60 cavalry for £105 is VERY tempting....maybe, I will take Nike's advice, and Just Do It!

      Delete
  2. More beautiful miniatures to your GNW force. Great job 👏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great Keith and the red facing work a treat, as always so do the flags. Keep up the good work and have a fun game today! Looking forward to the pics:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve - I have enjoyed/am enjoying painting these Swedish troops! Hopefully our game tomorrow is enjoyable and I take some decent images.

      Delete
  4. Splendid result, Keith! The flags in this project are stunning, aren’t they? Seeing yellow, white, and red faced regiments, the yellow facings catch my eye the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I also like the flags! If yellow facings are your favourite, stand by for a treat, as I deliberately chose three yellow faced units to end on, to redress the balance from all the non standard units I have included!

      Delete
  5. Beauty Keith, you saved my favourite until last. A mighty splendid job you did of them too!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks James! I was going to do the Jonkoping regiment too but decided I needed to have more of the collection wearing the standard yellow faced uniform.....

      Delete
  6. These are really cool looking regiments. Great color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark, yes, I am pleased my buddy Nick introduced me to this period, even though it took him quite some time to persuade me!

      Delete
  7. Well, as usual very nice ......but that drummer - inspired and superb, there is some real skill there. lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Norm, I was pleased to find a drummer whose uniform had a bit of variety to it!

      Delete
  8. Oooh, another fine looking regiment, Keith. I love the variation of coat and facing colors. They certainly give the Napoleonic period uniforms a run for the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. I like Napoleonics too but I think the tricorn era is my favourite for dress style.

      Delete
  9. Your Swedes should win by being better looking than the other side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - and I hope you have noticed they are predominantly blonde haired, so they should have more fun!

      Delete
  10. Is this a war or a fashion show? Lol. 😀
    Very nicely done. Have fun with the WoTR stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...to be honest Stew, I think the 18th and early nineteenth century military uniforms WERE a bit of a fashion contest, and like most fashion, seemed like the French set the style standards in most cases!

      Delete
  11. Excellent! Your best WSS unit yet I think. I like the lacework on the drummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks indeed for the kind words, they were fun to paint!

      Delete
  12. Great work Keith and, as others have noted, a particularly fine job on the drummer. I'd go for the 60 cavalry. More of a slog, but you'd probably be happier you went for the larger number in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - I think you have convinced me - will hit the Ebor site tonight!

      Delete