Thursday 27 October 2022

A Few Painted Figures

 I have managed to get a few of the Perry plastic Dervish warriors painted and based, mainly because they are on 40mm x 40mm hard card that I cut myself, so are not affected by the supply chain issues that have plagued the arrival of the 2c coins I have been waiting for since Weds 19 Oct - great job, NZPost, NOT! 

Very dark-skinned, dark-haired warriors, wearing a variety of tan colours, plus some white, and armed with a mixture of weapons, including some looted firearms



As usual, the Perry figures were simple to put together, providing enough options for a variety of poses, without complicating the assembly process with separate legs, torsos etc - just the right balance, in my opinion!






And after rummaging around in the midden ('Midden' is an old English word for a household rubbish dump) that is my painting desk, I found a couple of loose 10c coins I was able to use to base up two of the five Brigade Games swashbuckling ladies. 


The first lady joins the "baddies" side, wearing the red and black of the Cardinals Guard.




Whilst the second mademoiselle is turned out in the blue and yellow that will represent the Kings Musketeers - the "goodies" according to all the movies I have ever seen!



Thats all for tonight - I will hopefully have a goodly supply of individual figure bases in hand tomorrow, PLUS I will be having a game of RCW using the 1914 rules at Julians, ably assisted by Rick, Chris and John, I believe - so stand by for a scintillating AAR over the weekend, chaps!

Oh, by the way, this is a great clip from the latest (I think) version of the classic "Four Feathers" movie about the war in the Sudan ....

27 comments:

  1. Lovely work on the Sudanese Johnnies, ditto the young ladies. Here I've switched to mdf bases as some of the 1p & 2p coins I was using reacted to something (filler or paint) used in the basing, leading to a white furry fluff on the exposed edges, which was a real pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, as always Steve! I have not experienced any issues using the coinage, so will likely carry on!

      Delete
  2. Keith, you maintain a steady progression of works coming off your workbench. I especially like the Cardinal's guard figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon....I have quite a queue of single figures, waiting to receive their coin base! Hopefully that work may get done over the weekend

      Delete
  3. The Perry warriors make for a very dynamic unit and look to be paintable pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm and yes, I agree wholeheartedly ...very simple figures to paint.

      Delete
  4. Useful looking fuzzy wuzzies and I agree totally about the amount of assembly, goldilocks territory for me! Mine have become medieval Irish/highlanders/ancients, mostly I don't need the Martini Henry's ! Lovely swashbuckling ladies, although a goodie using guns and not a sword, surely not!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain...that's one of the great things about the seperate heads on hard plastic figures...add a bearded European head to these, and they can become something else entirely. You could take Zulu heads and do the same thing too!

      Delete
  5. Superb work on the Beja. I feel one of Perry's better kits with plenty of options

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty. I have found these very straight forward to put together, but then, I don't think I have used a Perry box that isn't!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work as always sir!
    Love the ladies too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Dervish warriors look great, and quite dynamic. I don't have the patience to put together 28mm figures, but these sounded quite easy. What glue did you use Keith, and do arms and heads ever snap off down the track?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lawrence...I think it is Revel model cement I use and no, never had an issue with damage. Obviously if you stood or leant on them, it would end in tears...but the same is true for metal figures. You should give them a go!

      Delete
  8. The Dervish look great, I found the spears to be a but flimsy, but they are great poses.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu...I honestly don't find plastic any more problematic or damage prone than metal figures

      Delete
  9. Really great work on all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great paint jobs as always! And the ladies are definitely worth the extra 8c each 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha....yes, I certainly agree with you there Ben!

      Delete
  11. The palette on the Dervishes works very well. Nice that you are maintaining proper yin and yang with a bad girl and a good girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, the Dervishes seem to be various colours of ochre and white. As to the girls, I feel Iain may be right about the "good girl" using pistols, but I am not changing them now! Anyway, the evil, femme fatale should always be the most glamorous and alluring character, don't you think?!

      Delete
  12. Splendid stuff Keith… apparently the Dervishes…” don’t like it up em “
    As to the goodies using guns… surely stabby stabby is much worse than shooty shooty….

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stabby, stabby is certainly more up front and personal, Aly.....reminds me of Brian Blessed in the first series of Black Adder....."Let blood, blood, blood be your watchword.....slit their gizzards!" 😄

      Delete
  13. Great looking Dervishers and even better looking swashbuckling ladies! In all seriousness, both projects look great Keith. I love the Perry Dervishers too, I have some under construction on my desk right now!
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete