Wednesday 5 October 2022

Pulp Era Turkish Officers from Copplestone Back of Beyond Range

 The title more or less says it all really. BoB Turks are joining my Pulp Project, and these are the first four, the officers. I have ten riflemen and two HMG crews still to do - to be honest I probably only really needed one HMG, but the pack came with two! 

Lovely big, characterful figures as anyone who knows Mark Copplestones work will have come to expect, and genuinely very simple to paint to a decent standard - a bit like Front Rank, who are of a similar build and stature.


The uniforms are what I would describe as "realistically speculative"!


The senior officer has red collar, which is based on 1920 uniform info I found on line



The 2 i/c has the green collar of the infantry, The uniforms were all painted using various khaki shades from the Vallejo paints bought for the SCW project, and work really weel I think




The temptation would be to paint Turks in sand coloured cloth a la Afrika Korps, but I don't think that was a common uniform for most Turkish soldiers



The fourth and final officer/NCO



Great figures one and all and I am very pleased with how they came out. 
I have four Turkish infantrymen and five female pirates/swashbucklers on the painting table at the moment - not sure which I will do first, so stay tuned for an update in a few days' time! 
Thanks for the visit and as always, extra special thanks go to all commentators!

27 comments:

  1. Nice I like the senior officer particularly πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - me too - he is in a particularly nice pose, I think!

      Delete
  2. "Realistically speculative", now I like that phrase! Excellent painting as always and a nice palette of colours for the uniforms:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll....they are kind of based on actual WWI or 1920's uniform info...but not to the same extent I would do with eighteenth or nineteenth century uniforms, Steve! There is some latitude for button counters to point out what I have done incorrectly...but hey, it's Pulp, so it doesn't matter πŸ˜€

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ben....the Copplestone figures are fantastic!

      Delete
  4. My-my...your certainly painting up a storm there Kieth- well done indeed...glad your enjoying your Copplestone figures. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job, like your take on 'speculative ' colors. Oh, do the girls next, you know you want to get them finished. You have the khakis sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...if you put it like that Joe....πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  6. Looking good, Keith! The Copplestone figures are nice sculpts. With BoB, it is your world so for uniforms, anything goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon and that's certainly one of the attractions of a Pulp Era collection!

      Delete
  7. For a second there I thought the leader figure was also carrying a cup of coffee which I thought was very ‘upper management’ but on closer inspection I see it’s binoculars. 😝
    Still some good looking figures. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cup of coffee would have been very Turkish, too, Stew! It's a rather odd pose...him holding the case to his chest, rather than the contents, which would be a more traditional look!

      Delete
  8. They look superb. I especially like the commanding officer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Neil...I think that is the nicest of the figures, but they are all good

      Delete
  9. Beautifully done Keith. That's a good comparison with Front Rank, which I am a big fan of for the reasons you state. Nice, clean and robust figures which have good detail but yet are relatively easy to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence...Front Rank are still one my favourites and it because they have such big and bold detail....which as you say, makes it easy to paint them

      Delete
  10. Great sculpts and fitting paint jobs mate.

    Grew up with rather negative stories about the Turks and their awful treatment of my Grandmother's country from this period so I am a little conflicted on the topic, but that's more my silliness than anything else.

    Moreover, those moustaches are fantastic and make me feel like I am not nearly manly enough. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, ok.....I am a bit confused now...I had assumed Dai was a Welsh name, but that doesn't really tie in with the Turks and your grandmother??

      Delete
  11. Oh those are very nice. :-)
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stu - thanks for the visit AND comment!

      Delete
  12. Lovely toys Keith…
    I too am a big fan of Copplestone Castings.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly, I do wish he would expand his excellent 28mm ranges but alas, he seems to be following a sculptors butterfly at the moment....his new 40mm "toy soldiers" are certainly grabbing a lot of people's attention currently!

      Delete