Wednesday 12 October 2022

A GREAT BIG Colonial Parade!

 Before returning all my Colonial Brits to their barracks after last Sundays Sudan game, I pulled out virtually every unit and photographed them - the result is A LOT of photos....and here they all are. Hopefully one or two of you will persevere to the end and leave a comment! The figures are ALL from Old Glory - North West Frontier, Zulu Wars and Boer War ranges. Some purists might be upset by this cavalier mixing of figures, but I am happy with the logic that the Zulu War and Second Afghan War occurred at more or less the same time, so figures for one can be legitimately used in the other! I am also happy using Zulu War Brits in red coats for the slightly later wars in the Sudan, which were the last occasions in which British soldiers wore their red coats in action...ok, enough self-justification, here are the pics (apologies for the lighting, just imagine it's caused by the harsh desert sun!)


Three artillery pieces and crew - 12lb field guns


Senior Command bases



British cavalry - Lancers and Dragoons



Indian cavalry - Lancers and whatever standard cavalry are called!



Small Indian mountain-guns of two different types


Another infantry command base



A heliograph and crew


One of two infantry machine gun crews


Highland infantry regiments in khaki



92nd Foot The Gordon Highlanders


42nd Foot The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)


79th Foot Queens Own Cameron Highlanders


The Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, Duke of Albany's)


Naval Brigade



Sailors with Gatling guns (I think!) - as seen in our recent game!



Sailors in caps


Sailors in sennet hats


Royal Marine Light Infantry


Four units of generic British infantry in khaki




The second infantry MG





Dismounted Mounted Infantry in Pith Helmets



Dismounted versions of the two Indian cavalry regiments




Four units of Indian Army infantry


The Corps of Guides infantry


And three generic non Sikh native regiments




Four more native units two each of Gurkhas and Sikhs






Earlier period artillery and MG


Gardner gun with naval crew 


7lb cannon and crew



Lancers, dragoons and Guards camel corps







Three units of Highland infantry in red coats


The Black Watch


The Camerons


The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders


Five units of red coated British infantry


Led by three mounted officers


Ok, the first unit isn't red at all - it's the green coated Rifles!


Highland Light Infantry



Three units of generic "redcoats"



And if you have made it all the way here - congratulations! I hope you enjoyed the parade - I may do another next time I have occasion to get one of my larger collections out for a game!

44 comments:

  1. Keith, you have a very impressive collection. What is the total count for these colonials? Where are the Natives? I always liked the Old Glory NWF figures and once a had a moderately large collection of them, myself. Good stuff and who doesn’t love a parade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, they were fun to collect and paint over a couple of years about a decade ago now I guess - I had the OG Army Card for about two or three years and used to do two or three bulk purchases per annum. I have a very few Pathans (also OG) - the idea was, I had all the Brits our "group" would ever need, and between us, we would buy and paint an adequate force of opponents. I think we do have a reasonable number of wily frontier tribesmen, but we don't have enough Dervishes, as seen in my recent game report - however, I ordered a single pack of the Perry figures from a local supplier this very evening, so should have them in my hot little hands in a couple of days!

      Delete
  2. As Jon has already said Keith, you certainly have a fine collection there. Do you have a comparable set of 'Natives' to fight against? If so, the way they are based, the Osprey 'Men Who Would Be Kings' rules might be worth a look at for some small sized games, that can easily be played solo if required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I refer the honourable member to my previous reply! Andrew and I have, in fact, played a couple of games of TMWWBK using these figures a few years ago...might revisit that sometime Steve!

      Delete
  3. Excellent looking collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben - it's always a bit of a surprise how substantial it is - it didn't seem a big job when I was painting it....

      Delete
  4. A very nice Colonial collection there Kieth- Old Glory certainly produces an extensive available range- I do like the Sailors in Sennet hats. Well done! Stay safe and well there in NZ. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, yes, OG certainly have an impressive range of figures!

      Delete
  5. Ditto all the above a really impressive Colonial collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice. I've always been a sucker for a decent Parade or Review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Big Parade does seem to be a blogging standard, Rob. Glad you liked this one!

      Delete
  7. Superb collection. I've always had a soft spot for Old Glory figures. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like the animation of the poses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty. The first OG figures I got were Napoleonic Brits and I didn't like them much, but many of the other ranges are much better....the Colonials included!

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! That's an impressive parade of troops Keith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, they look good en masse don't they!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful looking collection Keith (I hope I can by name:-)
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very impressive Keith, and it was also great to see pictures of them in action at Barry's. Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - I did enjoy getting them all out and doing the parade - maybe I will make that a monthly event till I have got through all my collections?!

      Delete
  11. As everyone else has already said, very impressive! I especially like the cavalry... :-)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David - and thanks for your visit and comment!

      Delete
  12. Impressive, your eye for the ‘character’ shines through on some of those bases (did you use grout for the basing paste? It is very effective).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The somewhat characterful sculpting style of Old Glory rather lends itself to mini dioramas on some bases, Norm! The basing compound I use is Selleys Permafilla - a ready mixed filler in a plastic tub - £5 worth usually lasts me over 12 months!

      Delete
  13. Flippin heck Keith! That is an awful large amount of mini's in this collection! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai - I mentioned earlier, its quite a surprise to get them all out of the boxes and see just how many I have!

      Delete
  14. I love the look of colonials, but I always wince when I think of the multiplier needed to get a fair/reasonable/usable number of opposition troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dave, that can certainly be the killer! Recycling units CAN work, but in our recent game it didnt, because the Brits were not really killing off enemy units but just driving them back. I have a plan in place to hopefully address this, by creating a force of 50 bases plus of Dervish infantry...

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - it was fun putting it all together! Hope you will be adding a box of Ansars to your next Perry order?! Mine are en route from Kapiti....

      Delete
  16. Awesome. Great looking bunch. I’m « well jell » as I believe the youth of today are want to mutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers JBM....I don't think I have heard that particular turn of phrase before. How's life in the land of Liberty, equality and brotherhood?

      Delete
  17. A really lovely collection, Keith. The basing is especially effective, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter...compared with today's work, I can see some issues with the basing myself, but overall, they still look pretty good!

      Delete
  18. What a collection Keith nice to see them all out on parade....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu...it's quite impressive all laid out like this, isn't it?

      Delete
  19. Very fine impressive collection. Where’s the helicopter shot of all the figures or is the collection too massive?! Nice diversity of troops as well. May it bring you many fun games. ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they would all fit on my three by three card table, Stew! Bringing me many fun games is the aim, of course...so far, they have probably been in action about six times in five years....

      Delete
  20. An excellent and formidable array you have therr Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, it's almost as formidable as Victoria's actual army, isn't it?!

      Delete
  21. Well, what can one say except that your title that this is, indeed a "Big" and "Great" collection! As fellow colonialist, I certainly appreciate and admire the parade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, I probably wouldn't describe myself as a colonialist in general conversation, but in relation to wargaming it's probably safe enough!!๐Ÿ˜€ Glad you liked my show and tell.

      Delete
  22. As others have said a wonderful and extensive collection, I think the cavalry particularly impressive ๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, the positive reaction has definitely planted the seed for more mass parades in the future!

      Delete