Sunday 22 January 2023

2eme Regiment de Chevau Legere Lanciers de la Ligne

 These are the Warlord plastic line lancers I cajoled my daughter into buying me for Christmas. It's the second pack I have done and added to the two metal regiments I have had for a decade or more, I now own four regiments of line lancers - and there were only six in total, in this style of uniform - so that's a high proportion really! For variety's sake, I chose the second regiment, as they wore orange as their facing colours.

This post is only the first half of the unit. This time, I decided to make them more historically accurate and have done the second six as sabre armed rather than genuine lancers. The latter will make an appearance in a day or two.

Rather annoyingly, I found this reference when searching for an image to add to this post - not sure if I can be bothered going back to the trumpeter and changing his coat to blue faced orange - gggrrr!



The command element with my inaccurate musician!



Two lancers from the elite company, with red epaulettes to denote how special they are!





The two standard lance armed troopers



Here are all six together.


Nice simple figures to put together and to paint - just enough detail to make them attractive but without getting too fiddly. The horses colours by the way are courtesy of inspiration provided by this post from Peter over at Blunders on the Danube blog Blunders on the Danube: Hessen-Darmstadt Chevaulegers

With the sword armed "lancers" nearing completion, I have been inspired to go straight onto assembling the Perry plastic British Hussars that were a birthday present from my son back in August - so they will be next off the painting desk in the coming week or two.

34 comments:

  1. This is some fine brushwork. Why are your cavalry based in pairs but Mark’s are based in threes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! I just fixed up my colour error with the trumpeter .....and now I notice MORE issues. The front of the tunic should all be the facing colour, not just the piping on the edges....I really need to pay attention and not just assume I know the uniform details!
      Mark changed to three cavalry on 60mm frontage a couple of years back, prior to that, we all based them in six pairs on a 40mm frontage...so a unit of twelve has 240mm frontage, regardless of how they are based. Same for the infantry ...used to be six lots of 30mm, now Mark also does 60mm frontage, but only three bases....so again, unit frontage is the same at 180mm.
      I am unsure if Mark has retrospectively changed his older collections to the new basing format but I won't ever do that, so hence why I carry on with the older style basing, for additions to existing collections ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
    2. Lol. I KNEW you were gonna fix the trumpeter. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Cav looks great. I suppose that if you had to carry a long pointy stick while everyone else had a musket you’d at least want a fancy uniform. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
    3. Haha...yes, lancers always have the coolest uniforms, Stew
      and if you think using a pointy stick against guys with muskets is bad, try being the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaklava......THEY had pointy sticks against field artillery!

      Delete
  2. They look splendid and nicely based too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I try to do nce basing, it hides any deficiencies in the figures!

      Delete
  3. Nicely done, your wash or whatever you use has brought a nice tone to the whole figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Norm, just good old fashioned black undercoat and dry brushing, mainly....glad you like the end result.

      Delete
  4. Superb paintwork Keith. They will grace the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richard and hopefully not too far off before the get an outing!

      Delete
  5. Nicely done Keith……one day I might have one unit ๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt.....that must be by choice, because you paint a lot more than I do, most of the time!

      Delete
  6. Very striking figures Keith, kudos for the attention to detail in being willing to follow up. No doubt they will be terrors on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, now, you will probably all have to put up with a second post of the corrected figures!

      Delete
  7. Nice work there Kieth on your new Cavalry- very fine work indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well they look wonderful Keith! The trumpeter might be wrong, but I think he looks fine as he is. Life is too short to worry about mistakes like this: heresy I know but that's my view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, I went back and gave the musician a blue coat and white helmet comb...it didn't take very long!

      Delete
  9. WOW!!! Beautiful brushwork there, sir! Any of us would be lucky to push those troopers on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great Keith, beautifully done. I was quite surprised when I did mine earlier last year that there were only six regiments of line lancers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence...they created a few more later (3 I think) but they wore blue uniforms and a Polish style Czapka...they look pretty cool to be fair but given I now have six regiments if you count the two guard units, I think I need to concentrate on different types of cavalry!

      Delete
  11. Wonderful stuff Keith they will look great on the table. The Elite company are fine looking fellows.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stu...part two of the unit is likely to be posted tonight

      Delete
  12. Lancers and Uhlans are defintely fun. Lances versus guns just makes all sorts of silly sense. :)

    Love these though! They do look fun to paint too.

    Speaking of fun uniforms to paint, I've been tempted to pick up a couple Hussars of one flavour or another. Just cos they sport my fav uniforms in Naps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai....I am working on the Perry British hussars at the moment....a bit more fiddly than the lancers but not too bad

      Delete
  13. Lovely toys Keith…
    I do like the French line lancer uniforms… I have one unit painted for my Shiny collection and another three in waiting…
    The more the merrier…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly...I am pretty tempted by the line lancers in Polish style uniform to be honest, but I really should have some chasseurs and hussars ro add a bit of balance to the collection!

      Delete