Tuesday 3 January 2023

The First Post of 2023!

 I have had a quiet start to the New Year, but today I decided to make some trenches for the 20mm SCW collection, as recent film watching, via You Tube, indicates there was quite a bit of trench warfare in this conflict.

Building the basic trench structure seemed pretty straight forward, but I decided to emulate gaming mate Mark, and use match sticks on the trench wall as buttressing. Checking the supplies, I only had about 40 or 50 matchsticks in stock, so a quick trip to one of the local $2 shops was indicated. I always find these places a great source of all sorts of useful stuff, and today was no exception. After locating a bag of 500 match sticks for $3 in the "craft" aisle, I noticed some packs of small trees, in two types, plain green and with added yellow "blossom". These were available for $4 per pack, so I grabbed one with the blossom and two without. 

Between building stages on the three lengths of trench, I cut out some randomly shaped bases from the thick card used in most of my terrain constriction and created a few bases with individual and pairs of trees. 

They have come out pretty nicely and I think I will probably head back to the shop tomorrow and secure a few more packs - or perhaps all they have in stock, just in case I regret not buying them at a later date, The trees are just the right size (to my mind) for 15/20 or 25/8mm figures - see what you think in the images below.



Single Yellow Blossom tree based


Single non blossom tree


20mm SCW figure amongst the trees


1/72 T26 emerging from the trees


28mm 3d printed figure with the trees


28mm Brigade Games metal figures amongst the trees


Construction of trench system - I have cut three lengths the same and will add in a few joins that can make the trench change direction etc


The first section lined with matchsticks


28mm and 20mm figures for scale - I reckon I can use the trenches for either?


Here is the latest SCW film I managed to track down on YouTube!




David Carr (Ian Hart), a committed member of the Communist Party in his native Liverpool, England, travels to Spain in 1936 with the intention of joining the anti-fascist International Brigades in the country's civil war. Instead, he falls in with the POUM, a Marxist splinter group opposed to Stalin's oppressive totalitarianism. Despite falling in love with the politically passionate Blanca (Rosana Pastor), Carr finds the leftist infighting a distraction from the greater struggle.

Below is a link to a 2 min trailer on Imdb

Land and Freedom - Trailer | IMDb


And finally for this post, the advantage of having a son who enjoys fishing and has several mates with access to a boat to undertake the said activity - I think my wife finds his hobby a lot more sensible and useful than mine! Last night's dinner below.... fresh snapper, salad and chips (fries!)

I have a game scheduled at Andrews place tomorrow - fantasy of some type, whether straight Frostgrave or one of his own concoctions, I am unsure, but it will provide more blog fodder and many opportunities for eye candy images of figures!

26 comments:

  1. Really nice looking trees sir!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, and super cheap! If these were "official" wargame or model railway supplies, they would probably cost 5 or 6 times the price!

      Delete
  2. Your on a roll there Kieth- good trees, match sticks galore- SCW Trenches and something very nice to eat in the way of Snapper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, yes, its been quite a productive day, by my standards at least!

      Delete
  3. That seems a good price on the trees and the yellow blossom does surprisingly ‘lift’ them. Good job on the trench, very effective at that price and they will look superb painted and shaded. There is something nice about seeing matchsticks still being relevant in a crafting world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, this level of model making is about my limit, but as you say, hopefully, once base coated black and then exposed to multiple shades of dry brushing, they should come out looking good. I was pretty happy with the trees, a good find at that price!

      Delete
    2. The trees and trench look great as does the fish and chips. That is really a very good find at the discount store. I would be headed back to pick up more.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jon...yes, a few more packs of the trees seem in order!

      Delete
  4. Those trees are a great find. Trenches looking good as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, I am happy with both so far. Looking forward to getting one if the trench pieces finished off to see how it turns out

      Delete
  5. A good find there on the trees and the start of the trenches look good too. At the start of the War is was not deemed macho to take cover in such things as trenches, until both sides saw the horrendous results from staying above ground:(. Thanks for the film tip which I will try and check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve. Yes, I have read several accounts indicating the particularly Spanish idea of machismo, meant both side displayed foolhardy levels of bravery, as you mention here.

      Delete
  6. The trenches look good. If you find that 20mm figures are a bit small for them, maybe some sort of removeable duckboards can be fitted. Or the opposite for 28mm - a removeable firing shield for the tops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a simple but elegant solution there Greg, a very good idea...thanks!

      Delete
  7. Trench coming along nicely and fish and chips is pretty much always good 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, just back from a game with Andrew, so no work done on the trenches today, but en route, I did grab another five packs of the trees!

      Delete
  8. Fine looking trees and smashing work on the trenches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I was so happy with the trees, I bought another fifteen today!

      Delete
  9. Trenches coming along nicely. The matches will come in handy for other scratch build projects too.
    I remember going to see Land & Freedom when it came out. Nearly stood up to sing along to the Internacional ✊ at the end, but I don't know the words in English let alone Spanish 😄 .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, it was the best of the three SCW films I have managed to find In Full on YouTube! The common theme in all however has been at least one lead character being a Miliciana, who dies at the end....in the case of Libertarias, it was a whole group of them......

      Delete
  10. The trees turned out very nice, trenches are clever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, the trees are definitely a good find. I think Gregs idea above re an insert may even make the trenches viable for 15mm figures!

      Delete
  11. Nice work on the trenches Keith. The finished article looks like it will be well worth the effort. Nice find with the trees as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, the trees are great and hopefully I can do a decent job on the trenches too!

      Delete
  12. Nice trees Keith…
    Land and Freedom is one of my favourite films…
    The story seems to have taken elements from ‘The Shallow Grave’ by Walter Gregory and ‘Homage to Catalonia’ by George Orwell.
    To me, the film is a story about people in a war rather than a war film with added love interest…
    I might have to watch it again now 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, yes I agree, it as very well made and it was a great although ultimately depressing story....as is Beevors book, where I have just reached the battle of the Ebro, the last, and worst, failed assault by the Republicans.....

      Delete