Tuesday 9 January 2024

A Short Break For New Year

 When my wife came up to the painting desk in the garage in late Dec and initiated a conversation along these lines "Because you are such a wonderful husband and provide me with such a perfect lifestyle...." I naturally thought, "Shit, she has some job she wants me to do!" But no, she had got bored "hanging around doing nothing " after Christmas (I had not, obviously, because I was painting toy soldiers!) and booked us a couple of nights in a motel in New Plymouth on 1 and 2 Jan. So, we travelled down there on Mon 1 Jan, arriving about midday ,and did a few bush walks as well as visiting Pukekura Park to see the illuminations that are on for a couple of weeks - and quite impressive they were, too.


View from Mt Taranaki Visitor centre Day 1, Walk 1


I did remark to my wife "What were they doing mountaineering when they should have been in Europe fighting a war!"










Top of Mount Taranaki wreathed in clouds - an hour earlier, you could see all of it.




I recommend playing the video with sound on - it is quite ethereal....
















Day 2, Walk 1





We had to do several "river" crossings - and, wonder of wonders, I did not fall in ONCE!




Crossing Number Two!






We had some decent rainfall in the days preceding New Year and the path was still pretty "damp" in places.




Can you spot the path/steps in the image above? We had trouble and we were standing on the track!



Spot the entry/exit of our walk?




Road walk back to where we parked the car


Day 2, Walk 2 very short one along riverside in town - a couple of nice views.






Bit of R n R afterwards!


Finally, as mentioned in my blog and on Marks own 1866 And All That, our good mate Mark had a bit of a cardiac scare on 1 Jan (while I was slogging up the lower slopes of Mt Taranaki!) and ended up here for over a week - he was discharged today I believe.


Mate Chris and I dropped in for a morale boosting visit (unlike Patton, we didn't assault any of the patients!). Northshore Hospital, in all its glory!


While we were away, Ruth and I watched Joanne Frogett in "Breathtaking" - a great reminder to all of us in New Zealand about what to total cluster the reaction to Covid was in the UK, and how fortunate we were here in this country - it should be compulsory viewing, particularly for all the nay sayers, anti vaxers and Ardern haters!

24 comments:

  1. With an opening line of “Because you are such a wonderful husband and provide me with such a perfect lifestyle....", I would be suspicious too.

    Lovely photos and beautiful country. Great that you dropped in to check up on your Wargaming buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe most husbands would be somewhat suspicious, Jon! I hope you are nearing the end of your health issues now too?

      Delete
    2. Whenever a wife is complimentary it is HIGHLY suspect and most definitely means money. Unless it's your birthday, in which case it's only minorly suspect and the money has already been spent. 😁

      Delete
    3. Wise words indeed there Stew! 👏

      Delete
  2. Nice trip Keith. Taranaki looks stunning. Hope your mate gets back to good health soon.
    I found myself nodding along to your last comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chris - I think Mark is all good now - even when we visited, he said he felt a bit of a fraud - he literally felt fine but the doctors wanted him to stay "in the system" (ie hospital) to ensure he got an MRI as soon as possible.

      Delete
  3. That opening line from your wife would have filled me with dread. But a lovely trip away will have earned you some extra brownie points to cash in for extra purchases of a wargaming variety. Hope your friend Mark is on the mend and don't get me started on the covid response in the UK as words fail me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...as it did me Scotty...I think the impact would be universal on a married man of a certain age!
      Mark is fine I think...had some chest pain New Years Day but nothing since then and now discharged and home.

      Delete
  4. A nice trip Keith, and far more pleasant thank Mark's Christmas break. Luckily you went to the right hospital as it seems like he has been through a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Lawrence, Mark was in Fiji for Christmas...the heart issue was later as per above answer to Neil...sorry, I know I am being pedantic 😆

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It sure is Michal....maybe you can shard a few images from Poland on your blog someday?

      Delete
  6. It all looks stunning Keith. Lucky your wife had such a good idea. Hope your friend is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly a very nice part of the country, Richard, and ALL my wife's ideas are outstanding, even the ones that involve me digging up tree roots or missing a game to visit her 95 year old mother..... 😆

      Delete
  7. I always tease my wife she is after something if she is nice to me, after I've recovered from the shock of course😉!

    Lovely scenery as always and I'm pretty sure I spotted the steps and entrance/exit to the bush on your photos. Still strange to me seeing Xmas decorations in the middle of Summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve - I think we all seem to be on a similar wavelength re the ladies!
      As to mid-summer Christmas - I am still not used to it, and I have lived here 35 years!

      Delete
  8. A lovely looking and sounding break…
    Certainly a lot more attractive than things are round here … It’s mainly grey…. With grey highlights.😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - that sounds a bit like my wife's hair Aly - which just caused some drama - but is a story for another time!

      Delete
  9. Certainly a scary opening line from your wife, you seem to be permanently on holiday! Hope Mark's alright, sound's worrying, don't get me started on the pandemic!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain! Yes, I believe Mark is OK, just a bit of a scare to start his last year of full time employment!

      Delete
  10. Looks like a great trip with fantastic scenery. I'm glad you and your wife were able to enjoy it together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, we had a nice little break!

      Delete
  11. What an amazing trip! This is the kind of thing I should have been doing instead of being sat on my rear painting solidly for the holidays. The scenery is just amazing! And you are so right about the Covid mess up here - so many decisions taken here in the country just for the sake of making decisions...and not always the right ones. The worst was locking us all down but allowing people to come into the country carrying their viruses...unbelievable! Trying to maintain business and tourism while the rest of us couldn't leave our houses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason, to be fair to you, the UK weather probably isn't QUITE the same at this time of year as it is here!
      Yep, I think we here in NZ did the whole Covid thing pretty well, to be honest, despite some whinging from anti vaxers and sovereign citizens or whatever the xxxxs call themselves!

      Delete