Saturday 14 September 2024

Another AWI Addition

This is a Perry plastic regiment, representing the 1st Maryland Regiment, as described below by Wikipedia:

The 1st Maryland Regiment (Smallwood's Regiment) originated with the authorization of a Maryland Battalion of the Maryland State Troops on 14 January 1776. It was organized in the spring at Baltimore, Maryland (three companies) and Annapolis, Maryland (six companies) under the command of Colonel William Smallwood consisting of eight companies and one light infantry company from the northern and western counties of the colony of Maryland.

There is a LOT more info on this regiment than most of my previous efforts - they seem to have been involved in many of the well-known engagements and served right through the war:

Engagements

Brooklyn, Harlem Heights. White Plains, Trenton, Princeton, Brandywine, Germantown, Monmouth

Camden, Cowpens, Guilford Court House, Siege of Yorktown


Here they are - a nice uniform of blue coats, faced yellow - they look a bit like Prussians or Hessians!


I found the flag on the internet somewhere......




I gave the drummer a distinctive cap as I have seen examples of similar in some uniform plates.









I received a small resupply - 1 more box of these nice Perry figures plus an extra command strip - so, with what is still remaining from the previous order, I think I have enough to do 5 more units, including one all in hunting shirts! I may get one of these completed in the next 10 days or so, then I will be out of circulation for three weeks while hosting my mate Gav who I have known for over 50 years (he moved to our town and came to my primary school at around the age of 9 or 10!) and his wife Linda, who we met in high school and where they became a couple around the age of 16!

Thanks for dropping in and double thanks for any comments you leave!

38 comments:

  1. Nice work, Keith! Smallwood is found in many Wargamers’ armies. I put mine in hunting shirts. Entertaining for three weeks sounds like a big task. Will be good to catch up with an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! I am trying to decide which unit I will do in hunting shirts....the Perry uniform info sheet shows several possibilities!
      I won't find 3 weeks off work with a good friend from the other side of had world too taxing, hopefully!

      Delete
  2. A splendid looking unit. Is this part of a new project or are you adding to an existing army?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, three months ago, I had no American units for the AWI, so I would classify this as a new project....but with some scope creep!

      Delete
  3. Nice choice fro your new addition, great uniform and involved in a good few of the big battles. Great work on them, they look cracking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Donnie, l do like the colour combo!

      Delete
  4. Another great looking unit Keith.
    Their moto Liberty or Death seems a bit extreme. I would have thought that Liberty or Lower Taxes might be more reasonable.😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very passionate people in Maryland, Ben!

      Delete
    2. Maybe a sit down and a nice cup of tea would be good for them 😁

      Delete
    3. Probably - BUT I seem to recall, all the unpleasantness started because of some issue with tea!

      Delete
  5. Lovely work there Keith and a nice touch re: the drummers hat. The unit was certainly kept busy, so plenty of table top action for them I'm sure. Have fun with your friend and hope the weather is kind to you all. Having moved a bit as a kid, I lost touch with so many friends from school and aside from Linkedin etc, have no idea what they are up to now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I moved once in the first twenty years of my life, and that was 5 miles, so kept in touch with everyone from my youth until I was about 25....then I moved to the other side of the world, of course!

      Delete
  6. Love the pale yellow (lemon?) facings Keith, they look marvellous.
    Have a great catch up with Gav and Linda. We'll miss you around the blogs for a few weeks!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot James...I may get chances to read and comment on other blogs, but no gaming or posting for me for a while!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful addition to your earlier units. The planned company will have you busy! We in the blog spheres are will await your return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe.....hopefully you all manage to get by without my presence, somehow!

      Delete
  8. A great addition to the collection. Enjoy your hosting. Always great to catch up with old friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty, yes, it will be a great three weeks I expect!

      Delete
  9. This sounds like one of the must-have regiments, and beautifully done. I'll make a note to include these once I make a start on the Continentals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honoured to act as your inspiration, Lawrence!🎖

      Delete
  10. They look grand altogether. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great work sir!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely done Keith a striking regiment 👍

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice models, the faces are very expressive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cranking them out in great style. 😀
    Time to host the 20 player AWI mega game with all your new figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol....you never know, Stew, next time we have an AWI game at Barry's, I might play "the wrong side" for a change!

      Delete
  15. This is a gorgeous looking regiment Keith. You have done a superb job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Splendid looking unit, Keith. So frustrating that such a well-known unit has no known flags; in fact, Maryland is a complete black hole for flags in that period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David....having been on this AWI journey for a while now, I have found the distinct lack of flag info a bit frustrating!

      Delete
    2. That's my main gripe with the period, I confess! All the Betsy Ross flags used in so many armies is rather a sign of desperation... ;-)

      Delete
  17. Great looking Continentals, Keith! Love the dark blue coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I might do a couple more 1779 regulation uniformed units in my last batch....I like those uniforms too, to he honest!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete