Wednesday 18 September 2024

It HAD To Be Done! New 10mm Romans Jump to the Front of the Painting Queue!

Of course, how could I resist - I HAD to have a try at painting a few of the recent 10mm arrivals! One of the many advantages of this scale being, I only spent 60-90 minutes to do everything you see here (bar the time it took for the black undercoat to dry)


First batch of legionaries, I did a black undercoat then painted straight onto it.


They came out OK (after a few redo's and touch ups!) but next time I think I will do a white dry brush and see if it improves them a bit.


I may also have to invest in some 2mm flock!



Example of an individual Roman command figure from start to finish this evening - with the white dry brush mentioned above!


You can get a pretty good impression of the level of detail - remembering, this figure is 10mm tall!



These will be the next to be worked on - hopefully I will get them done tomorrow evening.



This is the individual figure shown above, half an hour later, having been painted


I am pretty happy with the scorpion design on his shield


And the shading on his cloak!

To balance things up, here is the Leading Lady for the opposition - Boudicca in her chariot!


This is a 5-part "kit", the chariot itself, two separate horses, the driver and Boudicca.


My Boudicca is based on the Alex Kingston version, (on the left below) although all recent movies seem to agree, she was a fiery redhead!




I did not do any facial tattoos/woad on her, as I thought it might just mess up the figure, in such a small scale?


Once again, I think the detail on these tiny Cromarty Forge models really shines through in the images of the chariot.


And finally, just over a week before my friends arrive from Scotland, expecting to walk into the pleasant warmth of a New Zealand spring, yesterday, we had THIS!



Obviously, for many of you northern hemisphere types with your more "robust" winters, this is not even worthy of mention - but for Auckland, this is a very rare event - I can honestly count on one hand, the number of times I have seen enough sleet/hail fall to actually lie on the ground like this in the 35 years I have been living here! I was on the car phone to a colleague when this sleet hit and he had to hang up because he could not hear a word I was saying over the noise of the sleet pelting down on my car - it only lasted a couple of minutes, but it was pretty intense while it did!

30 comments:

  1. Well, they look pretty good to me Keith! I drybrush my figures with a reddish brown to bring out the details, which makes it a damned site easier to paint, plus it sort of helps hide any bits you miss with the main colours. In Bristol we rarely get a cold Winter, with it generally being mild and wet, but I would much rather a bit of snow now and then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Steve - the camera is my enemy in this situation - with my bare eyes, I can barely see more than the red and silver in this scale, but put a good quality phone camera on them, and you can see all sorts of details!
      I think the white dry brush helped though - I did it on the chariot as well as the single Roman commander, and i think they came up nicely - so will do that on everything going forward - it's what I usually do anyway, so not sure why I tried something different on the first batch of legionaries?!

      Delete
  2. Sleet is the worst! Rather snow any day. Good work on the ancient figures, wondered how long it , might take you to get sidetracked.
    Yes to the 2mm flock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree re the relative merits of sleet and snow, Joe! I won't be doing all the 10mm figures now - got to get back to the AWI shortly - although I won't be doing anything for most of Oct, as already mentioned!

      Delete
  3. Those Romans look the business as does Boudicca's chariot. Plenty of detail on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Scotty - the detail is amazing, considering the scale - 30 years ago, we would have been thrilled to get that level of detail in 28mm!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh! Those look amazing, Keith! Didn't think you could have so much fine detail on 10mm. The sculpting on the armor, faces, and shield designs are superbly done. The chariot looks great as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Dean, I totally agree...it's fantastic the amount of detail the 3d printer is able to produce in such a tiny package!

      Delete
  5. Wasn't expecting to see any of your new acquisitions painted so soon: very well done and very promising for getting them the on table sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you know what it's like, Ed, shiny new toys, and all that!

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking wee Romans and her ladyship, nice of the weather to try and make your Scottish friends feel at home!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, they are super little figures, no doubt about it!
      I don't think my friends want weather that will remind them of home - hopefully the week in the Cook Islands/Rarotonga we have planned will see some nice, tropical heat (and sunshine with any luck!)
      (Delayed Response as I just found your comment, and Jon's, in the spam folder.....)

      Delete
  7. All of the figures look great whether black undercoated or white dry brushed. Sculpting looks exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jon, I agree, the sculpting and detail in this scale is phenomenal! Your comment was in spam, along with Iain above - no idea why?!

      Delete
  8. Nice work on the 10mm Romans Kieth- you've done a great job for your first 10mm figures. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev, I am reasonably happy with how these have come out.

      Delete
  9. Off to a flyer Keith, they look great and en masse will be brilliant on the table, nice work on the chariot as well really nice. Living in the far north of Scotland we get all four seasons in one day but I hate sleet the most, it really is awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie, they are cracking little figures, no doubt about it 👍
      One thing I don't really miss about Scotland is the weather 🙄

      Delete
  10. Those Romans look fabulous. Almost tempted... almost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give in Richard, you know it makes sense!!

      Delete
  11. They came up really well Keith, great job. 10mm seems to provide the right mix of just enough detail without having to spend an hour on each figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, these Cromarty Forge ones are particularly nice....the more traditional metal like Pendraken may be too, but I will probably just stick with these to be honest. Like my old 15mm FoW troops, it's great to bash through a decent number in one sitting! Still love well sculpted 28mm figures, but they take a lot more time and effort 👌

      Delete
  12. The figures look great Keith and a good start, bright colours are good in this scale 👍 and I agree a ‘finer’ grass would be good but I know people have different opinions on this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, tried to get some 2mm stuff today but they were all out...it's 6mm on the bases, which is probably OTT for 10mm figures....I might even look at the old school dyed sawdust type product....

      Delete
  13. They look the business Keith! Great models nicely painted. Might have to get round to painting up my 6mm Carthaginians now. after a short real life hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris....I think 6mm might be too small.....then I see your nice looking 6mm WAS SYW stuff and start rethinking....!
      Hope the real life interlude wasn't anything unpleasant or negative...

      Delete
  14. Fantastic result Keith and you are certainly putting me to shame with the quantity and quality of your output.
    Have fun with your friends and I hope the weather improves for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Ben but don't worry, it's not a competition! I will have very little to zero hobby time for almost a month coming up, so I will be a bit quieter and a lot less productive!

      Delete