Tuesday 4 August 2020

Border Reivers Buildings

A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I had started work on creating a generic "Pele" (pronounced Peel) Tower for future use in my next planned 28mm figure collection - a Border Reivers skirmish level Family or "Clan" (although that description is not quite right for Lowlanders in my opinion, it does seem to be used for the so called "Riding Families" like the Kerrs, Armstrongs and Elliots)

Readers may be forgiven for thinking that I have not been getting much done in terms of wargaming recently - and they would be right! Figure painting has ceased altogether as I have been unable to motiovate myself to finish off Bits n Pieces from the "lead pile" that I enthusiastically hauled out in the depths of our Covid lockdown a couple months back.

However, now and then, I HAVE put in an hour or so on the building project, and although still not 100% completed, I decided to share a few images of the two structures created thus far.

 
The tower is a total of five floors - ground, three living floors, then the battlements and roof


A couple of different views of the full tower


 
Slightly out of focus close up of one of the ladies of the house on the battlements


This is the ground floor "byre" where animals can be driven inside for shelter



The first floor dining hall


Second floor living room

 
Third floor bedroom - a four poster bed is still under construction! 


The second building I have created is a small Borders "Kirk" - seen here with ECW Scots lancers by Dixon and a Foundry officer

 
The interior of the Kirk with alter, pews and stained glass window!



The outside of the alter end of the church, showing the stained glass window - which is an image from Google of one of the windows at St Giles Cathedral in the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, which I thought was appropriate!

That's it for this post - I am hoping to make it to two games this week - Julian's on Friday evening and Barry's on Sunday, so should be busy with some gaming posts over the weekend!

22 comments:

  1. A very good start on the Pele it looks almost complete and the Kirk is impressive. Hope you get your painting mojo back soon. Cheers Gregf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg - all I need to do is buy some figures.....the mojo will then return naturally!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kieth- Yes, I know what it is to have a bought of inactivity when it comes to figure painting- just recently I've overcome this by starting out on my 18mm Imaginations 1860 figures. Nice work there Kieth on your Buildings for the ECW - well done indeed. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kev - reading your blog, you seem to be producing newly painted figures at a pretty good rate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good looking tower. Have fun in your group games this week. In time, your painting mojo will return. Perhaps the planned games will reignite the flame?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan..... All I really need is something I want to paint, and I will be away again!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, progress has been slow but its quite satisfying and to be honest, is no real rush as I have no figures to use in conjunction with them anyway!

      Delete
  6. Nice work Keith, and the interior detail really brings it all alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence, I built them this way so we can potentially have skirmishes occurring INSIDE the building - fighting from floor to floor kind of thing - we shall see if that ever actually eventuates!

      Delete
  7. Nice work on the buildings Keith...

    For a few years I used to holiday in a Pele Tower on Kintyre... Referred to locally as Saddell Castle...it was/is part of the Saddell Estate and can be hired out for self catering...
    A bit grander than yours... the front door had a hatch behind it that could be lifted to reveal a pit... to catch those uninvited night time visitors...
    There is often a couple of buildings of lighter construction outside the tower... which of course would be abandoned in an attack...

    https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/saddell-castle-11597/

    Looking at the images on the web site makes me want to go there now...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s worth watching the video presentation

      Delete
    2. Thanks for this Aly, I will have look at the video! I do have a plan for a few outbuildings and a wall surrounding the tower..will get it all done eventually!

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking Pele tower and Kirk, stained glass, sounds a bit papist to me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain....for half the period at least, this was pre reformation...and according to Fraser, the Borderers clung to the "old " religion even after John Knox etc....like the North of England.

      Delete
  9. Outstanding tower. I know nothing of the period so you ha e me looking on liked It information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark...I didn't know much about it either until quite recently but sounds a bit like the Wild West but relocated to the Anglo Scots border in the sixteenth century...constant raids, skirmishes, kidnappings and hangings...plus the Hot Trod which was a pursuit by the aggrieved party very like a Cowboy era posse!

      Delete
  10. Very cool tower and other buildings, Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I just hope to get them into a game sometime soon 😀

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Mark...the dry stone paper looks pretty good I think.

      Delete
  12. Very nice buildings! Good to see such great terrain elements as well as miniatures :)

    ReplyDelete