Tuesday 18 September 2018

War of 1812 - British 5th Regiment of Foot

I have completed the second unit of Perry Plastic 28mm Brits for the War of 1812 - this time I picked the 5th Foot. The images don't agree on the shade of green, so I went with the more subdued hue shown in a chart I downloaded from "somewhere". The facing colour is described as "Gosling" green in one of my reference books and I took this to mean a more natural shade of green, but who knows?

The command element is absent as I will need to obtain some figures - specifically an officer, as the set comes with two ensigns (only one of whom I have used so far) and a sergeant but only one officer and one drummer, both of whom are in the first battalion..... although I may get a musician as well as an officer as I don't think much of the idea of a battalion without a drummer!

First up is the reference picture and then following, four images of the painted figures - I added in a single mounted officer to the first three in place of the missing command element...









10 comments:

  1. Fine looking regiment! Those Perry figures are nice. As for Gosling green, I always go for a more yellowish-green but as you state, “images don’t agree.” Besides, colors were not fast in those days so weathering could have a big effect on the resulting color. When in doubt, I often look towards the regimental flag for a clue to shade of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Jonathan - after I had put this dull British Olive Drab type colour on the figures, I did consider moving to something a bit more vibrant - but in the end I just left it "as is"...and as to the regimental flag, I am using a generic one from Warflags - so I just altered it to match the facing colours I used!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Phil - just off to view your latest post!

      Delete
  3. Nice bunch of Brits! I think it's always difficult to prove exactly what facing colours really were, so close enough is good enough in my book!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice Keith...
    Always a tricky one matching colours... especially if you only have a description.
    I have been quite surprised by how vibrant some uniforms are when you get a chance to see the original item.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Aly - I agree, there is also the while debate about how "red" the British redcoats would actually be - many say enlisted men would be more like brick red and only officers and perhaps NCO's would have bright scarlet - but I like them all nice n bright!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Keith. We must actually get our War of 1812 stuff on a table at some point. It was such an age ago that I did my Americans and they haven't been out of the box since.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely Mark - JB has quite a collection of US Militia too - not sure how far through the painting process he got with them - he got side tracked by Gustavus Adolphus and the Thirty Years war Swedes (as you do!)

    ReplyDelete