Saturday 6 November 2021

More 1812 and a one off special

 Here is the latest addition to the US War of 1812 force. Whilst getting ready to prep the next unit, I realised that, although I have sufficient enlisted men for three or four more units, I may be about to run out of officers and drummers - I may even have to consider a small investment to make use of most of the remaining infantry - we will have to see how that goes.



The full regiment from different angles.......




.... followed by the three newly completed bases....




One Off Special

Regular readers may recall I mentioned a Pulp Plan to get some Asian Female heads, so I could convert figures for the various Chinese and Japanese Pulp factions... and with the kind assistance of Mr Freitag in the US, these were duly obtained and sent to me in a small envelope that took about three weeks to arrive. The problem now is, my intention had been to use some of the 40 Brigade Games RCW bulk pack figures for conversion purposes; however, these have still not arrived, despite being last heard of at USPS in NYC on 8 August ....sigh. So, in desperation, I have resorted to converting one of the Perry plastic Afrika Korps figures, using my least favourite of the heads, on the basis that if it was a cock up, I would not have wasted a good head!


The head used is row two, second from the left





I added a sword from a Perry plastic British Napoleonic officer, trimming a few bits off to make it look a bit more like a Samurai katana



I also added a pack that I think came from a Wargames Factory zombie survivors kit


Final shot with one of the Tsuba Japanese officers for size comparison


I did not get the neck quite right but I think the conversion worked ok as a proof of concept.

32 comments:

  1. Lively conversion, turned out well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, I think its ok for a first effort!

      Delete
  2. Impressive. She has a swan neck, not too long. Great conversion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another nice 1812 regiment Keith and love the conversion you did. Getting the neck height and fit is always awkward, even with figures that come with separate heads, as to me they always seem to sit a tad too high. Once on the table you don't notice any slight issues such as these IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve - very true - the fact is, I cant even see the details up close with the naked eye and taking pictures sometimes reveals painting "issues" I had not noticed, even wearing my super strength painting glasses! Once on the table, I cant see any of the detail that I worry over whilst painting them.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Michal I appreciate your comments!

      Delete
  5. She’s looks ok although the screaming face is a little off putting 🤨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt...and I agree...the two screaming heads were my least favourite, hence the choice to use one of them first!

      Delete
  6. Love the 1812 figures! It's a fascinating war!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John - yes, a very odd war in many respects - its interesting to speculate what might have happened if my name sake General Robert Ross had not been killed at the Battle of North Point - he seems to have been a sound tactician and good leader....far superior to the British officers who came after him.

      Delete
  7. Another great unit and what a conversion, it's sent me reaching for the draw with the remaining RJW figures. Wonderful stuff.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu - I am pleased you found the converted figure so inspirational - look forward to seeing the painted results on your blog soon!

      Delete
  8. That works. How did you make the fit …. Superglue or pin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm - n o pin - that's a good thought actually - more along the lines of Aly's suggestion below, minus the Green Stuff, which I do not have

      Delete
  9. A fine looking unit Keith…
    The conversion has worked well…
    She certainly looks unhappy about something…

    When I do head swaps I drill the hole a little deeper than I think I need…then I pop a little ball of Green Stuff in and use that to hold and position the head… once I am pleased with the results I run some super glue round the joint using a pin or something similar.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the conversion hint Aly - I was kind of half way there myself but less the Green Stuff. I actually used clear Liquid Nails as it is sticky immediately and holds the head in position...then I used plastic kit cement around the join, as you describe. I think the slight issue with the neck is where I drilled the hole - a bit too far back I suppose...but its tricky with things this size, go too far the other way and there wont be any neck!

      Delete
  10. Lovely unit Keith and the conversion looks to have come out very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Lawrence! We are obviously on line simultaneously, as your comment has appeared while I was answeing Aly's!

      Delete
  11. Great looking unit for the war of 1812 and nice work with the conversion!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - I have another 9/18 1812 figures ready for basing and the other 9 undercoated so another unit should march off the square in a few days time!

      Delete
  12. Keith, it is with great pleasure I see these heads make an appearance so quickly. I like your conversion work and your new 1812 recruits look terrific. Old Glory figures always look better painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks once again for all your help in getting the heads here to me Jon! I think ALL figures look better painted, don't they, or else why have I spent so many months of my life at the painting desk?! (I know what you mean though.....)

      Delete
  13. War of 1812 is a conflict you don't see gamed much at all, and your US regulars look great, Keith.

    As for the conversion work on the heads, amazing! Just don't ask me to do it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and positive comments Peter!

      Delete
  14. Crackin looking figures. Great head on the little lady too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray - I have some better heads to use, once I have the figures available!

      Delete
  15. Nice regiment you have there! And I think the female head swap looks great. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew - another 1812 unit is nearing completion - check back in a couple of days - one day, there might even be A GAME!

      Delete
  16. Great work on the infantry unit. The female character looks also nice with Perry body.

    ReplyDelete