Thursday 8 June 2023

GNW Russian Cavalry Squadron

 As promised, here is the second batch of Russian cavalry I received pre assembled from my friend Adrian.

These are the "charging" variety (you get 6 standing/trotting and 6 charging horses per box set). I took this uniform card from my usual source as inspiration for this unit:



As mentioned, for some reason, I only have five riders for this unit


So I inserted a dead Swedish pikeman onto one of the bases, to fill up the space!


I think its worked quite well?


I have 4 or 5 more of these (purchased from Col Bills pre loved store about 18 months ago for just this sort of occasion)



Now as an "added bonus" (perhaps, you be the judge) I had to take some images of these gunfighters as I am attempting to create "Gunfighters Ball" character cards for them tonight, in preparation for a game this Sunday (I should have got this done at the weekend, but "coulda, shoulda, woulda...") I am not sure I really have time now  - needs to be done tonight so I can print and laminate the cards at work tomorrow.......

Anyway, a good excuse to parade these figures again - I am pretty sure I have more regular visitors now than when they were being painted a few years ago, so they may be new to some of you....


Above and below are Black Scorpion resin figures


The next three are Copplestone Urban Cowgirls...





Another two Black Scorpion figures


The one below is based on the Sharon Stone character in "The Quick and The Dead"



The last two I think are from Artizan Thrilling Tales single character figures....I could be wrong though and dont want to waste time looking them up!



Right, gotta go and try to get these character cards done - thanks for your visit and double thanks to those who comment - as always!

33 comments:

  1. Lovely painted stuff sir!
    Warm regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michal, appreciate your regular visits and comments!

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the Cavalry and the Western Ladies- great painting for sure Kieth. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words again, Kev. On looking back to early 2020, when I painted many of these, I note I was only getting three to six comments per post, so must be a few readers who have not seen these before.....

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. The old Blogger "double published comment" strikes again .....!

      Delete
  3. Great looking Russian cavalry and smart use of the casualty figure, even if we are seeing the gunfighters again they look splendid!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain, I used to avoid casualty figures like the plague, but they do have their uses!

      Delete
  4. A worthy addition to the army of Peter the Great! And the ladies are good - I have not seen them before ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valentine, I am glad you appreciate both sets of figures.

      Delete
  5. Excellent way to complete this regiment! Very fine work. I certainly do not mind seeing a refresher on your gunfighters. The girl in the sombrero is one, long-legged lass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, la seniorita is certainly wearing some figure hugging pants!

      Delete
  6. The cowgirls are pretty but I think I prefer the Cavalry 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...must be an age thing, Matt 😀

      Delete
  7. One of my gaming friends had long been trying to get enough figures and terrain together for a few Wild West skirmish games and I can see the attraction. Lovely stuff Keith, and the Russian cavalry looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence...the figures are pretty easy, you only really need a few each....I actually have far too many really...the challenge is creating a large enough town to fight over...fortunately our mate Rick is happy to purchase and titivate a pile of pricey mdf scenery, so we have that covered too! I will take lots of pics on Sunday!

      Delete
  8. Excellent cavalry Keith. The cowgirls are well painted. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. A unit of foot grenadiers is nearing completion and tonight, I have just assembled six more plastic cavalry....this time using grenadier mitre heads from infantry left overs, to create a horse grenadier squadron!

      Delete
  9. Great looking Russian cavalry and lady figures, Keith!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work Keith. Looking forward to the gunfight on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark, I am hoping Rick lets me use some of the girls tomorrow , he can be a bit funny about females on the "battlefield"!

      Delete
  11. Lovely cavalry in 'classic' Russian uniform colours there Keith:). You really do have some many figures, how do you keep track of them all?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Russian Cavalry look great but the fighting girls take the show....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers GW......and thanks for the visit and comment!

      Delete
  13. The dead pike man really fills the space well.
    The black scorpion miniatures seem to be extra nice. Character cards with a picture of the actual miniature are a nice touch. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew...yep, the resin Black Scorpion figures are super detailed. I may post one or two of the cards with the game report.

      Delete
  14. Traditional coloured Russians… that makes a pleasant change 😁.
    And a bit of glamour for the Wild West… what’s not to like.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly....I will see how much our GM Rick appreciates the glamour...he isn't too keen on all my female RCW figures.....and as for an entire Dark Ages army of Shield Maidens...I think that is beyond the pale!

      Delete
  15. Those Russian dragoons look great Keith and well worth showing the hot gun slinging chicks again. I was well and truly a follower of your blog back then, but I don't recall seeing them before. Must have been a post that I missed.
    The Quick and the Dead is a good fun cowdie flick isn't it?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot James! In writing this post, I went back to the original ones - they had about 6 comments (including my replies!). As it happens, I THINK (but don't quote me) that you said my mention of the Sharon Stone movie prompted you to watch it - but it may have been someone else......I did enjoy it, that's for sure!

      Delete