Saturday 24 June 2023

Some Slightly Different Figures

 A couple of months back, I purchased these Warlord figures from a local retailer - see here Bydand: A Small Package (1808534.blogspot.com)

A few days ago, I decided I needed a break from plastic GNW Russians, so pulled this small group from the "waiting" drawer, and after consulting this site Light Bobs and Paint Blobs: April 2023 as well as some Google searches, I quickly painted up these lovely Last of the Mohicans character figures!



Natty Bumppo, or Hawkeye. A famous marksman, Hawkeye carries a rifle named Killdeer and has earned the frontier nickname La Longue Carabine



Chingachgook
Uncas’s father, he is one of the two surviving members of the Mohican tribe. An old friend of Hawkeye, Chingachgook is also known as Le Gros Serpent—The Great Snake—because of his crafty intelligence.



Uncas
Chingachgook’s son, he is the youngest and last member of the Indian tribe known as the Mohicans. A noble, proud, self-possessed young man, Uncas falls in love with Alice Munro and suffers tragic consequences for desiring a forbidden interracial coupling. Noble Uncas thwarts the evil Magua’s desire to marry Alice. Uncas also functions as Hawkeye’s adopted brother and learns about leadership from Hawkeye.



Cora, the elder Munro half-sister and object of Hawkeyes affections



Alice, the younger half-sister loved by both Uncas and the evil Magua.



Alice and Uncas


Cora and Hawkeye


The five "goodies" together


Magua
The story's villain, he is a cunning Huron nicknamed Le Renard Subtil, or the Subtle Fox. Once a chief among his people, Magua was driven from his tribe for drunkenness. Because the British Colonel Munro enforced this humiliating punishment, Magua possesses a burning desire for retaliation against him.




Magua and Alice.

I enjoyed the break of painting up these figures - its the second pair of Munro sisters I now have in my collection -(see the others here Bydand: Finally, Some Painted Figures! (1808534.blogspot.com)) and the idea of adding a third from the Redoubt Miniatures range (FIX 31 - Redoubt Enterprises) is still bubbling away in my fevered brain!

I am off to a large Crimean War game tomorrow, with my Ebor Miniatures British Light Division - infantry, NOT the Light BRIGADE, who we all know about! So my next post will probably be written tomorrow evening.

32 comments:

  1. Nice painting diversion. LotM is one of my all-time favorites. Good luck in your Crimean War battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon - hoping one day we can do an FIW themed skirmish game, involving the LotM characters! I think I prefer the 1970's BBC TV version of the story but is possibly because I saw it at an impressionable age - 10 or 12! I think the British will need some luck on Sunday - I cannot recall a Crimean game that the Russians have not won!

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking characters. My one of the favourite movie too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely painted up Keith I have the figures but they are languishing somewhere unpainted. I am also a big fan of the film 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - time to get your figures out and give them a go perhaps??

      Delete
  4. Nicely done and we all need diversions from projects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty - variety is the spice of life, as they say!

      Delete
  5. Oh those are very nice.... great colours for the period.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu - I think some credit is also due to the sculptor, who certainly captured the likeness of the Hawkeye character in the movie with some accuracy.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful work on these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Magua steals the show, just as Wes Studi's did in the film!
    I must read the book again, which is so different from the film, but I have watched the latter too many times and it is so lomg since I read the book that I cannot recall much of it at all!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I liked the Magua figure too. Funny you mention the original novel, as I read a review of the film from the Guardian or some such publication, and they said the novel is overlong and not very well written, cautioning that modern readers would find it a bit of a slog, given it was written in 1824 and in the style of those times.....

      Delete
    2. tis true. This is one of those rare cases where the movie is actually better than the book. The movie is dramatic and compelling and makes me tired because they RUN everywhere. There's barely a moment when they aren't shooting or running, and sometimes both at once. The book is kinda wonky and has a scene where Uncas dresses up like bear and fools all the bad guys. Also in the book Alice is the love interest and she marries Duncan. Everyone is happy for them. Very different.

      great job on the miniatures. especially Magua.

      Delete
  8. Those are really awesome looking figures. Great job on painting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great figurines, Keith! I especially liked Magua. This was one of my favorite novels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo Valentine. It certainly is a great story, shame about Alice though!

      Delete
  10. Nice work on those figures Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great figures Keith, I'm sitting watching Last of the Mohicans as I type!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Ray, it's humbling to be such an inspiration!😜

      Delete
  12. Definitely something a bit different and very nicely done Keith. I'll look forward to the Crimean battle AAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - I am just about to write the AAR now!

      Delete
  13. Very nice Keith…
    I’m all for a bit of fluttering between projects…
    I too have fond memories of the 1971 tv series…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are of a certain age, Aly!

      Delete
  14. Fine figures and a great film too. I think I saw the '71 tv series, but can't be sure. Read the book whilst in Nigeria and hadn't realised many of the Christian undertones it contained (IIRC and based upon the notes). Always funny that the Punk's Mohican's were named after the wrong tribe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve....I gave never read the book and the various descriptions of its laboured prise don't really inspire me to give it a go!

      Delete
  15. Love the film and I recall enjoying the book very much also, though it was work to get through due to it's dated style of writing.

    Like I mentioned when you previewed this nice set, the sculpts are spot on and your painting just made them that much better. Great work Keith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (There's also a story about magic mushrooms involving the flick too, but I'll hold off from relaying that on such a public forum LOL)

      Delete
    2. Cheers Dai.....and your post script is tantalising ......! 🤔

      Delete