Wednesday 24 April 2024

I have been parting with my hard-earned coin again.....

 Every now and again, I check out the very few local, online suppliers of wargaming goodies we have here in New Zealand. One of these is Kapiti Models, which may be unique in the entire world, being a pharmacy (chemist) that doubles as a wargaming store - I guess it is owned by a pharmacist who likes playing with toy soldiers!

Anyway, I had a quick shufti over the weekend and noticed that there were several nice bargains to be had, so quickly "invested" some of the hobby loot I have been amassing since I spent most of my accumulated cash back in Jan/Feb this year.

The parcel actually turned up at work on Tuesday, but I unaccountably forgot to bring home with me until today!



The order


To get a rough idea of the cost in either USD or £, divide the amount above in half! Normally, these can be getting on for $60 per pack here, so as you can see, a decent bargain, and we always need more Napoleonic (or GNW!) cavalry, don't we?!







I must remember to keep checking them out - they have one of those Warlord boxed set starter armies for the AWI (the Rebel side) for about $140 - I could be tempted to grab that, as I already have heaps of Brits but no one for them to fight, if I ever want to do solo games in this period at home.

Anyway, lots of extra stuff added to the plastic pile, which is already reasonably substantial, by my standards - I think I have 7 or 8 boxes of cavalry sitting there now - just as well the first batch - British Hussars - are already under way on the assembly and painting desk! There should be some images of the first couple of bases of these on a post in the near future.

38 comments:

  1. Great Value...a bargain the Hussars look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes, good prices on boxes I have had on my "to buy" list for a while!

      Delete
  2. Yes, too good to pass by πŸ™‚ I hope the Pharmacist is a wargamer, that would be cool to see a business help in sharing their hobby.

    I have Perry French Hussars going to the cut and glue table later today! They do look a painting challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Norm, I will be interested tovsee your "Hussards" completed....it will be some time before I get to my ones! And I agree, hussar uniforms are a challenge regardless of nationality!

      Delete
  3. Impressive box of reinforcements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. There is a lot of gluing and painting ahead of me, Michal!

      Delete
  5. Well that is an exciting box... I am pretty sure that the Pharmacy is not only owned by a gamer, but a blogger as well, since I remember reading about his experiments in stocking miniatures. Can not be more than one can there? (in NZ anyway)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting....and I'm sure you are right

      Delete
    2. And, by the magic of the internet - here is the said article: https://www.pharmacytoday.co.nz/article/news/duty/wargaming-pharmacist-who-brought-his-hobby-house

      Delete
    3. Bugger - you need to log in to read it!!

      Delete
  6. Nice haul there, too good to pass up that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your moral support Donnie πŸ‘

      Delete
  7. A great bargain there and too good to miss out on really. The thought of so much cavalry leaves me cold! Growing up as a kid the local shop that was nominally a news agents, but also sold model kits, toys, food, books etc and was a bit of a gold mine for us kids when we were too young to travel into town on our own. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, and yes, we had quite a few small shops in the seventies where you could buy Airfix kits, along with more prosaic everyday necessities...

      Delete
  8. Nice haul and a great bargain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice haul and a great bargain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty - in case you are wondering why I am answering you later than the other comments made the same time - its because you were in my spam folder for some reason. (so was Stew, so don't feel picked upon!)

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite the backlog of assembly. The bargain was worth it. Now to the glue a d pa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Yes, there is a bit of work before I start posting images of any of these in their painted state Joe πŸ˜€

      Delete
  13. Next stop: putting them all together. A pharmacist who stocks wargame stuff...makes perfect sense. Goes along with the other addictive substances being pushed there, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Dealer, supply thyself!" you mean, Ed?! πŸ˜€

      Delete
  14. That starter set for the AWI does seem very tempting. I probably have enough Continental troops in the queue, but I'm off to do a bit more investigation into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bugger - I should have kept that bit of info to myself - "loose lips sink ships" and all that, Lawrence!

      Delete
  15. Grab that bargin while you can!

    though, we've all seen the recent posts of fishing trips and such, so we ALL know that you're hard earned coin wasn't that hard. 😁😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I might start posting images of me trying to sort out missing freight or non-compliant dangerous goods Stew!

      Delete
  16. You're gonna have fun putting that lot together, and painting them Keith. A pharmacist that supplies wargaming figures, eh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. Yes, the assembly part of the hard plastic figures is not my favourite, but I do it in bite sized bits...2 or maybe 4 cavalrymen at a time, so it's not too onerous

      Delete
  17. Splendid additions to your collection Keith…
    They should keep you out of trouble for a while 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly will Aly - I have only done about half the ones I bought back in January!

      Delete
  18. Splendid purchase Keith! Just goes to show that constant checking and study of different hobby vendors pays off handsomely 😁

    ReplyDelete