Tuesday 16 April 2024

Some Scenic Items

 I finally got around to a simple DIY terrain project that's been in the back of my mind for several years - making some hedges from cheap green pan scrubbers!

I bought a pack of 10 from a $2 shop for two or three dollars, along with another couple of packs of the cheapo model trees that featured here some time ago and over a couple of evenings I have used about three of the scrubbers to create 10 lengths of hedge (150mm x 20mm) 5 corner pieces, 4 T junction pieces and one gate section - with more to follow.


The "raw materials" above

A tree section plus the gate section.


With a Copplestone figure for an idea of scale


And in 15mm, I reckon it will pass muster as Bocage?



After cutting 20mm x 150mm strips of the "hedge" I cut a card base of the same dimensions, then stuck the hedge in the centre of the base with Liquid Nails. Next, I did 3 or 4 dry brush highlights in lighter greens and yellows, then used white PVA to attach some commercial foliage product randomly to break to the square edges look of the hedge. If I do say myself, I think for the cost and effort involved, they look pretty good, and I still have about seven of the pads left to carry on creating!

34 comments:

  1. They look really great Keith, very cheap too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you’ve done a great job with those pan scrubbers. The extra colouring and random bits of foliage make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JBM, I reckon this could work in many scales, even down to 2mm perhaps?

      Delete
  3. Very effective... in looks and cost. Well done Keith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard - they have been a long time coming!

      Delete
  4. Outstanding job and they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark, pleased you like them.

      Delete
  5. Nice terrain work, Keith. I plan to get to some terrain building myself soon with those Japanese wall sections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. A bit of terrain work is mice for a change and I look forward to seeing your walls soon.

      Delete
  6. Excellent work there Keith and those pan scourers are so useful for a range of scenic items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve, I am sure you have used them yourself for various terrain features.

      Delete
  7. Nicely done and very effective Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotty, I think they are pretty effective too 👍

      Delete
  8. Scrubbers make perfect hedges. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work Keith, and the gate looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lawrence...simple build using match sticks!

      Delete
  10. Great job Keith. Well worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Ben...and it wasn't really too much effort either!

      Delete
  11. Nice work Keith, nice source for some cheap terrain, always good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie...I am pleased I finally got off my a@#% and did this...I have only been thinking about it for 10+ years!

      Delete
  12. Very effective. I took the same thing and wrapped it over the roof of an MDF cottage and it gave a surprisingly effective mossy thatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, and that's a roofing idea I may pinch...previously, I have used face clothes or small hand towels for thatched roofing

      Delete
  13. Yes, panscrubs or other such named products make really effective hedges, yours will no doubt be used for a long time. DIY is always a great method to get terrain made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe and totally agree with your philosophy on home made terrain!

      Delete
  14. Yep. Cheap and effective. Looks good. I made my 15mm hedgerows in a similar fashion. These things also last forever which is a nice bonus. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew....longevity is definitely another benefit!

      Delete
  15. Nicely done Keith…
    It just goes to prove that for wargamers… Everything is potentially terrain 😁
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nicely done Keith we all need lots of hedges 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Particularly in Normandie 1944 Matt! That is what I may look at next 😀

      Delete