Saturday 11 September 2021

Pulp Eighth Army

 As promised, here is the first batch of British troops to back up the various characters on their Pulp missions. Its likely these will be sufficient for any eventuality, as my intention is to keep things on a small scale skirmish level, so like their Afrika Korps opponents, the majority of the contents of each box may remain on their sprues for a considerable time!

As its Saturday morning here and I dont have a hell of a lot to do, being in L4 Lock Down and having already taken the dog for a walk, I took an image of every single figure individually - so I hope its not too boring for you all!

I am pretty happy with how these have all turned out although the unforgiving eye of the close up photos has revealed some painting issues to rectify - of course, no one will ever notice on a gaming table, but I may as well tidy them up!


The whole group, less bren gun support


The inspiring leader!


RT operator - his collar needs a tidy up on the left!


Sergeant with SMG


Kneeling with SMG - a corporal perhaps?


Kneeling throwing a grenade


Working the bolt of the Lee Enfield rifle


Firing - the bayonets come separately and can be added - I only did a couple as cutting off the bayonet from the pre molded scabbard was a bit of a pain


A slightly odd pose - he (like the kneeling grenade thrower) was one of the last figures completed and I only had limited arms left to work with!


Advancing at low porte


Advancing at high porte with bayonet fixed - they dont like it up 'em, sir!


Firing


Advancing


Two shots of the firing Bren gun crew



As an extra bonus, I have taken one of the Crooked Dice female minion heads wearing a field cap and added it to one of the Afrika Korps figures to create another Afrikamaedel!


These heads are very finely detailed and the size matches up well with the Perry figures - they would be far too small on a Copplestone miniature, for example



Final image showing a comparison with some of her male colleagues.

Bis spater, kamaraden!

35 comments:

  1. The familiar trumpet introduction fades and the slow marching beat if the drum crackles through the wireless set. And then in that husky voice:

    “ Bei der Kaserne
    Vor dem grossen Tor….”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed - and perhaps you have christened the latest Fraulein to join the ranks?!

      Delete
  2. Keep things on a small scale…lololol.
    Nice job on these figures. I like the background as well.
    Good luck surviving the lockdown. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew - I wasnt even being intentionally funny there! The background is (I think) some random Spanish countryside courtesy of Google earth!

      Delete
  3. Those a great and love the mix of poses:). Fingers crossed you get out of lockdown soon. There is talk of a circuit break in October around half-term to try and slow in the increase in cases, but nothing official yet. Sadly I think we will have to wait until Spring and nicer weather before things improve:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve... we have gone from 70 to 80 new cases per day down to around 20 but still have a number that cannot be linked to existing ones so I doubt Auckland will get out of Level 4 till late Sept now....the rest of the country is pretty much open for business just with some face mask wearing.

      Delete
  4. Nice work on these and really like the Conversion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I just did another Bolshevik conversion this evening, using one of the Statuesque heads. Hopefully it will turn out alright too.

      Delete
  5. Nifty project, great vision for the figures....you've enough to start the narrative on these...oh, wait, you have!

    ReplyDelete

  6. Lovely stuff. The devil finds work for idle hands and all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you are not implying that painting toy soldiers is the Devils work, sir?!

      Delete
  7. Hi KIETH,
    Excellent work there on the Brits and Germans- you certainly have nailed it for sure- great going and terrific photos. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev I think they have painted up nicely

      Delete
  8. Good stuff, Keith! Most of time, if you do not point out a painting mishap, no one will notice. They look great to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon - and doubtless even when people do notice, they would be unlikely to point it out....!

      Delete
  9. Some fine upstanding chaps there Keith…

    I don’t think I would like to argue with the young lady…. After all… she does have a sub- machine gun…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Aly - thanks for the tip on The Good The Bad and The Weird - I scrolled through it on YouTube - the version I found said it was with English sub titles but I could not see any, so I could only make out half of what was going on!

      Delete
    2. By the way, I found some more inspiration on Netflix with a film called "Legend of the Fist" - its a remake of a Bruce Lee movie called Fist of Fury I believe.

      Delete
  10. I'm only just catching up on your series of updates: you've been admirably productive! Loved the polka dot dress in the previous post (by the way: inspired!). The individual studies in this post are far from dull: very appropriate for "characters" in pulp gaming. Looks like you've got the critical mass to do some gaming soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, yes you are right, I need to stop painting and start playing really - thats going to be the challenge as I dont really have anywhere to do a solo game and we are not allowed out to other peoples places at the moment, thanks to our renewed lock down....

      Delete
  11. I think you have nailed the colour palette on these Keith. Lovely work. I can't see any of the missed spots you mention but, like you, notice them on the pictures I take of my figures. It irks the OCD side of me, to I make a mental note and normally dab a bit of black on the spots to cover them up. Mind you, I'm not obsessive enough to bother taking an updated photo of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lawrence - in fact, after writing that on the blog, I forgot about it and the figure concerned has been stored in a carton along with the rest of his mates, complete with the painting error! Occasionally, if I spot some really annoying issue, I DO paint over it and take a second photo - but I have to spot it at the time I am doing the photo shoot!

      Delete
  12. Nice paintwork and the poses are great- a real energy about them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John - I cant take a lot of credit for the poses of course - they are the usual great quality work from the Perrys! I do think I managed to get the desert uniform looking pretty good though, and its differentiated from the Germans, which I like!

      Delete
  13. Characterful and beautiful figures rross, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, a French contingent will follow at some point - I am just trying to decide what figures to use and whether I want Legion Etrangere in kepis or standard infantry in the Adrian helmet....

      Delete
  14. Very nice looking Desert Campaign characters, Keith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean I think they have come up nicely!

      Delete