Monday 4 July 2022

HaT Supply Wagon

Not a lot of progress made in the last few days but its already 4 July and I need to get some runs on the board, so here are a couple of pics of the first (of three) horse drawn supply wagons in 20mm for my SCW project. As readers will recall, these are repurposed German WWII wagons, but I think they will work very well in Spain - with crews painted in appropriately coloured uniforms. Now, if I had the patience, I could WAIT while I order up some packs of separate SCW heads from Minairons - but to be honest, in this scale, I think the German Feldmutze looks pretty similar to the Spanish Isabelino fore and aft cap.

The first wagon is from the Nationalist side, with the darker green uniform. Despite a thorough cleaning of the plastic with dish washing liquid prior to assembly, it was quite hard to get the first undercoat of black paint to adhere to the surface of the model - not too sure why. Anyway, after two or three sessions, I got 90% of the green plastic covered in black acrylic paint, and from there on, I didn't have many issues getting these table ready.





A lot of preparation work has been done over the last few days, assembling the Nationalist cavalry horses (which come in two halves plus a separate base, then the rider is added too) ready for under coating, so expect to see a bit more SCW progress in the coming week, hopefully!

31 comments:

  1. Nice looking wagon. Your additions should really expand your choices in scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I do think the wagon turned out nicely!

      Delete
  2. Excellent result. Your weathering on the wood is superb. What is your secret?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A black undercoat then many shades of dry brushing is all I do Jon. An old fashioned way to paint in these days of washes and contrast paints but mostly, it works for me!

      Delete
  3. Great looking wagon sir!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those wagons turned out well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scotty, I am happy with the result too.

      Delete
  5. Another vote for the great work on the wood Keith. It really looks very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence - despite being "cheapo" plastic kits, the sculpting is pretty good, which is what I have been able to bring out with my dry brush painting style.

      Delete
  6. Nicely done Keith, slow progress is better than none so keep going 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is Matt - I must confess to having been binge watching some police procedurals over the last week or so, which has severely impacted my time at the painting desk!

      Delete
  7. These wagons work really well…
    And given the amount of kit that Germany sent to Spain… I am sure that they are perfectly acceptable in either army…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look just the part...let it be our secret that they're the "wrong" heads repurposed.. If you won't tell about all of my "wrong" figs I won't tell about these 😉 (really like the wood grain effect, by the way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a fair deal to me Ed - my lips shall remain sealed

      Delete
  9. A lovely little supply wagon Keith…
    Given the amount of kit that Germany supplied to Spain I reckon you can get away with using them for both sides…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly, that is certainly my intention!

      Delete
  10. Looks excellent Keith. The wood effect is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I am very pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete
  11. Lovely work there Keith. In the UK you can get car spray cans for bumpers that are formulated for flexible plastic, which should work well for this sort of kit. The other option is the old school way of coating them with this layer of pva glue, IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, my mate Julan has a can of that car spray...but I don't think I need one for a couple of little carts!

      Delete
  12. So strange to me that at the time that wars were being fought with aircraft carriers they were still using covered wagons and horses….

    Nice job on the painting though. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree Stew...by the end of the war, the Germans had jet aircraft and long range missiles.....but still used horses to move transport and artillery!

      Delete
  13. Great wagon Keith. They were still in use in France in 1940.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark....yes, and in 1944/45 too! You just have to read accounts of closing the Falaise Gap......

      Delete
  14. Nice paint job on the wagon Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Splendid looking supply wagons, I remember reading of some British officers captured in France during the blitzkrieg being passed by German horse drawn artillery pulled by ex British horses which had apparently been sold on following mechanisation!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain...an interesting anecdote re the horses, too!

      Delete